Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Had YOU heard of Vicente Rodriguez 3 days ago?

Had YOU heard of Vicente Rodriguez 3 days ago?

• Of course I had!

Votes: 151 46.5%
  • Uh, no, I hadn't actually. Does that make me a bad person?

Votes: 174 53.5%

• Total voters

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It's funny. I have a Spanish mate who is always banging on about how great La Liga is etc... and when I said we were signing Vicente his immediate response was "I've never heard of him", and was followed by "I'll google him. He can't be that good though is he's playing in England". I had heard of him & this makes me realise what a clueless twat my mate is. Great bloke aside from that mind

So, when he said he "loves La Liga" he really means "watches El Clásico on telly sometimes but is otherwise clueless". I just love football and enjoy Levante vs Osasuna as much as 'the big two'. Mind you, I'm also one of the only neutrals I know who watches and enjoys football at all levels. Sometimes a wide-open League Two match can be as thrilling or better than yet another 'Big Four Bore Fest'..

Vicente is a household name in Spanish football. Your mate is a tool.

Stumpy Tim

So, when he said he "loves La Liga" he really means "watches El Clásico on telly sometimes but is otherwise clueless". I just love football and enjoy Levante vs Osasuna as much as 'the big two'. Mind you, I'm also one of the only neutrals I know who watches and enjoys football at all levels. Sometimes a wide-open League Two match can be as thrilling or better than yet another 'Big Four Bore Fest'..

Vicente is a household name in Spanish football. Your mate is a tool.

That's the thing. He's from Bilbao, a lifelong Bilbao fan, though loves Barcelona. He's a football fan through and through. My only guess is that he isn't known as Vicente Rodriguez... the Spanish have about 15 names each so he must be known as something else

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Nada

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not me. I even thought his name was Vichentee and not Bithensee...

I thought it was Vincente, and was emailing my friend about it on wednesday. I thought he was misspelling it, then checked he wasn't just copying mine (he wasn't, he had heard of him) and it turned out I had mistyped 'Vincente' as 'Vicente'. So spelled his name right even though I was trying not to.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Yes, though only as vicente, I've never heard the rodriguez before. I remember him and aimar in the valencia glory days a few years ago....that and he was always amazing on what was champ man now football manager....

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Yes. I watch a lot of La Liga but have a great deal of knowledge of football generally away from the Albion, which is why I find many people who post on here moronic. He is a household name in Spanish football - he's about an aging Ashley Young or Stewart Downing in Premier League terms.

Did I win?

Ooooh get you! Although a great deal of knowledge about non-Albion football doesn't mean that you are automatically excluded from being a moron :lol:

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Nope I don't follow European football. I just can't get into it - probably because I don't have the channels to watch it.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Love me a bit of la liga and he was a top star few years back so yep

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Well, I scouted him out for Rafa in 2006, but he preferred sunny Spain to lovely Pool..........anyway Rafa told he had no future so we left well alone and signed Aquilani instead.
Always knew he would end up at a class club in England in the end.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
No I'm afraid not. Can someone confirm what his name really is? I seem to have seen him called several different things.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
nope, don't watch Spanish football and given that Brighton don't often get in the Champs League not seen him there either. I sure I'd heard the name but knowledge of Spanish football is limited at best. I kind of think that league is just Messi running rings round everyone else, Mourinho getting angry and lots of teams playing slow tippy-tappy football.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I think anyone who truelly follows football would have heard of him. He was wanted by Real Madrid not so long ago for big bucks?!

To put it into perspective, I know its a game... but Fifa 11 have Mata who has just signed for Chelsea rated at 82/100 i think. Vicente is rated at 79/100. Granted this was a year ago but still this goes to show how highly rated he is.

Was he also the Valencia captain as well like a season ago or am I completely wrong? 3rd best team in La Liga we are talking about here!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here