Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Had YOU heard of Vicente Rodriguez 3 days ago?

Had YOU heard of Vicente Rodriguez 3 days ago?

• Of course I had!

Votes: 151 46.5%
  • Uh, no, I hadn't actually. Does that make me a bad person?

Votes: 174 53.5%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Nope if it's not English I try not to look at it. Still scarred by Maradona in 86 I suspect.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
nope, don't watch Spanish football and given that Brighton don't often get in the Champs League not seen him there either. I sure I'd heard the name but knowledge of Spanish football is limited at best. I kind of think that league is just Messi running rings round everyone else, Mourinho getting angry and lots of teams playing slow tippy-tappy football.

Tiki-taka football.

If I read between the lines, Bozza hasn't heard of him and suspects some celebrations amongst our number are from people who will celebrate any-old-Johnny-foreigner's name because 'Vicente Rodriguez' sounds more exotic than 'Alf Briggs' or 'Eric Smallhurst' as football player's names.

Well, that's what I was wondering myself earlier actually. I think Vicente is brilliant though - incredible that we got him although I never bleedin' heard of him :thumbsup:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Name ringed a bell but only a little tinkle (compared with a big dong) so I voted no. I think I remember him playing for spain in euros ? (not valencia).
PS when I saw he played for Los Che I thought that was a different club to Valencia so I am a moron.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Wish there was an option in between yes and no maybe a "kind of". I've ticked yes but the reason i have heard of him is from playing the sun dream team and seeing his name. Couldnt tell you anything about him other than that!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
İbrahim Tatlıses;4356708 said:
I am amazed so many HAVEN'T heard of Vincente. Was regarded as one of the best young players in the world less than a decade ago

... and he's so well known you don't know how to spell his name.

Like folkestonegull, I had heard of Vicente but the Rodriguez part of his name is new to me

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's funny. I have a Spanish mate who is always banging on about how great La Liga is etc... and when I said we were signing Vicente his immediate response was "I've never heard of him", and was followed by "I'll google him. He can't be that good though is he's playing in England". I had heard of him & this makes me realise what a clueless twat my mate is. Great bloke aside from that mind

Tony has never heard of someone who's played for his own country 38 times in the last ten years? That's poor!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I watch Spanish Football every week, and Valencia have always been well covered. I know Vicente relatively well in terms of watching him on TV.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Nope..

Never had Sky, watched Spanish Football on the tellybox, or had a PS 1/2/3...

Mind you, the moon is lovely place to live. :)

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I take notice of Spanish football and always recollect notably attacking and successful players. But I've never heard of him. Perhaps his name is too common?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I think anyone who truelly follows football would have heard of him. He was wanted by Real Madrid not so long ago for big bucks?!

To put it into perspective, I know its a game... but Fifa 11 have Mata who has just signed for Chelsea rated at 82/100 i think. Vicente is rated at 79/100. Granted this was a year ago but still this goes to show how highly rated he is.

Was he also the Valencia captain as well like a season ago or am I completely wrong? 3rd best team in La Liga we are talking about here!

I truly follow Brighton not football. Seeing as we don't play in La Liga or the Champions League why would I have heard of him? I think FIFA 2011 is actually a game rather than real life.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Yep, I used to play CM 2000 alot and on there he was a very talented 19 year old even then. I think I even signed him when I was Brighton once

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I truly follow Brighton not football. Seeing as we don't play in La Liga or the Champions League why would I have heard of him? I think FIFA 2011 is actually a game rather than real life.

That's why I said anyone who follows football and not anyone who follows Brighton?! Not having a dig!

Yes as I have said I know Fifa is a game but it is based on real life is it not? I thought it might help put things into perspective maybe for some people who haven't heard of him such as yourself.

He was rated as like the 7th or 8th best player in the Valencia team at this point last season, and the ratings they give players that play in the top leagues are relatively accurate as they are watched day in day out.

Have you heard of Raul or Van Nistelrooy? I think it's not far off comparable to signing either of these players, that's the kind of quality he certainly did have and hopefully he still has it... he's only 30 afterall!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here