Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Had YOU heard of Vicente Rodriguez 3 days ago?

Had YOU heard of Vicente Rodriguez 3 days ago?

• Of course I had!

Votes: 151 46.5%
  • Uh, no, I hadn't actually. Does that make me a bad person?

Votes: 174 53.5%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Before I open the poll results - which vote is winning and by what sort of margin?

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I'd heard of him, mainly from watching Champions League and Uefa Cup games on the telly and from playing games like Football Manager and Pro Evo. I knew he was good (he was certainly scary in whichever version of Pro Evo I'm thinking of), but I didn't realised how much the Valencia fans loved him, or that he'd been footballer of the year in Spain, and all that stuff.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Yes. I watch a lot of La Liga but have a great deal of knowledge of football generally away from the Albion, which is why I find many people who post on here moronic. He is a household name in Spanish football - he's about an aging Ashley Young or Stewart Downing in Premier League terms.

Did I win?

Of course you won, but then again I'm just a moron so probably know nothing anyway.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No I hadn't, and what's more the La Liga was very much down the scale of the top European sides in them days, including Barca. But I will believe because Gus got him. Time will tell.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I'm very surprised that anyone with a decent knowledge of football would not know who he is. Wouldn't say i'm a massive follower of La Liga but i know all their stars and he is up there in the top 10 of the very best players in La Liga over the past 10 years. 5 years ago the boy was touted as a genius, now is is our Genius

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it was a "rings a bell" name, but had to look it up. then thought the name wasnt who i thought... a post here made me realise i recalled him not from real football but from being ridiculously good in CM.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Bloke at work on transfer deadline day “Your mob are trying to sign Vicente Rodriguez”.

EiE: “Vicente Rodriguez, never heard of him”.

Work colleague “Played for Valencia in Spain”.

EiE “Vicente of Valencia? Wasn’t he quality back in the day?!”

Don’t think I had heard his full name used before but was aware of the player. Helps when they are good on the old versions of Championship Manager too!

I watched some videos on Youtube earlier of some of his highlights – one of his goals is followed by a distraught looking Van der Vaart and another shows David Villa jumping on Vicente following a Vicente goal. Whatever happened to VDV and Villa?

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Have watched alot of Spanish football for past 12 years or more, I knew of Vicente. But still in disbelief he is now playing for the mighty seagulls.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Yes. Instantly group him with the likes of Baraja, Marchena, Kili Gonzalez, Albelda (Valencia glory days) and Joaquin, Silva, Villa (more recent). Always fun to play with back in the day on Pro Evo. Never been able to watch much Spanish football as I've never had Sky Sports but am easily kept informed on players through video games, discussion boards, tv highlights etc..

Always good to refresh your memory though, here's Vicente's performance vs Athletic Bilbao from the season before last:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rslENpmdo&feature=related

Last edited:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
No, but some champs supporting prem mates were aware of him as a class act so they were impressed!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Absolutely not.

That's more because i'm a Brighton and Hove Albion fan, not really a football fan in general.

Couldn't give toss what clubs like Man U or Chelsea are doing and would struggle to name 2 players in their teams.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It's funny. I have a Spanish mate who is always banging on about how great La Liga is etc... and when I said we were signing Vicente his immediate response was "I've never heard of him", and was followed by "I'll google him. He can't be that good though is he's playing in England". I had heard of him & this makes me realise what a clueless twat my mate is. Great bloke aside from that mind

maybe its a spanish thing - i hadn't heard of him so asked my friend from barcelona, who is a huge barca fan, about him, and he didn't know either. Maybe barca are just insular, i know they don't care about the national team

easy

Aug 19, 2011
East Stand: H Block
Nope. He may have been one of the best in the world, but I never heard him mentioned alongside Zidane, Fat Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Raul, Del Piero etc.. Maybe he was, but I must of missed it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nope. I don't play computer games and I've no interest in football outside of the Albion and to a lesser extent England. In all seriousness, and I'm not saying this for effect, I couldn't even tell you who won the Premier League last season, it was either Chelsea or Man U but I really can't remember. In much the same vein I couldn't tell you who won Wimbledon or the British Grand Prix; I would have heard at the time, but due to lack of interest the knowledge hasn't stuck in my brain.

So there's absolutely no chance of me remembering some random Spanish player.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Same level world wide as Gerrard, Owen, Joe Cole for a long time....... how many Spanish football fans had heard of these do you think? Even fans of lower league clubs not into international football? Of course I had, one of my favourite players growing up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here