Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greens not confident in Brighton

D

Deleted User X18H

Dignity in defeat HB&B it's a great quality, shame it's one you lack.

It's pretty clear from this result that Brighton Pavilion is essentially a progressive place, this result is not a surprise.

I wished her good luck in Post 64 I am to tired to mess about with it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can someone explain what is the point of having ONE MP from a MINORITY party in parliament. Fucks me off. Without getting all HBB bet those born and bred in BRighton voted for one of three major parties.

Give me a Tory or indeed Labour instead of a minority anyday.

1. The people in a given constituency want their representative in parliament to reflect their views. The three main parties may not offer that, and there is a big Green consideration in Brighton. It jars against the national vote, but so what?

2. Bearing in mind that the environment is a major consideration, and the major parties are paying only lip service to it, a Green MP can ask questions in the Commons, table motions, host environmental issues in Parliament and so on.

3. Every party has to start somewhere. The Liberals had nine seats 25 years ago. Who's to say the Greens are not a party for the future?

Edit: I wrote this last night, and realise it needs clarifying. But not right now - I've only just woken up. But hopefully you get the gist.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
1. The people in a given constituency want their representative in parliament to reflect their views. The three main parties may not offer that, and there is a big Green consideration in Brighton. It jars against the national vote, but so what?

2. Bearing in mind that the environment is a major consideration, and the major parties are paying only lip service to it, a Green MP can ask questions in the Commons, table motions, host environmental issues in Parliament and so on.

3. Every party has to start somewhere. The Liberals had nine seats 25 years ago. Who's to say the Greens are not a party for the future?

This.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In that case I hope the three parties take a good hard look at themselves. Brighton used to be a labour stronghold - otherwise I fear that Brighton will become a joke constituency.

Liberals used to actually run the country decades ago so having 9 seats 25 years ago is a massive decline!

And fair enough they can ask questions and table motions....and still get massively outvoted. So again what is the point?

D

Deleted User X18H

In that case I hope the three parties take a good hard look at themselves. Brighton used to be a labour stronghold - otherwise I fear that Brighton will become a joke constituency.

Liberals used to actually run the country decades ago so having 9 seats 25 years ago is a massive decline!

And fair enough they can ask questions and table motions....and till get massively outvoted. So again what is the point?

I think someone alluded to this in the Argus the other day.

Anyway the Greens won, well done to them. However they one a seat in a Hung Parliament. I wouldn't move the vegan sofa into your Westminster office just yet Caroline.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

And fair enough they can ask questions and table motions....and still get massively outvoted. So again what is the point?

Everywhere has gone against Labour.

You're talking politics only in terms of party politics, rather than politics as a concept of representation, or that Dr Lucas will have no political 'friends'. There are green sympathisers across the Commons, and she can hook up with them on those issues.

There will also be many issues on which she shares common ground with other MPs and other parties. It's not as though she will be a lone voice pissing in the wind. What it does mean is the she is more in a position to push her green agenda.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton used to be a labour stronghold - otherwise I fear that Brighton will become a joke constituency.

no it didnt, both swung to Labour in 1997, historically Pavillion has been Tory and Kemp town switching occasionally.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Er, I'm born and bred Brightonian and I'm delighted with the Pavilion result. It's ignorant to suggest that the vote is skewed by flocking hippies who don't have any roots in the area.

But the real surprise here is that despite all the Tory bullshit they've actually made barely any gain whatsoever in this constituency leaving the unfancied Labour candidate to take second place.

It is GREAT news for democracy and should send a clear message to all the main parties.

Congratulations Dr Caroline Lucas and the Green Party. Now don't let us down

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Er, I'm born and bred Brightonian and I'm delighted with the Pavilion result. It's ignorant to suggest that the vote is skewed by flocking hippies who don't have any roots in the area.

But the real surprise here is that despite all the Tory bullshit they've actually made barely any gain whatsoever in this constituency leaving the unfancied Labour candidate to take second place.

It is GREAT news for democracy and should send a clear message to all the main parties.

Congratulations Dr Caroline Lucas and the Green Party. Now don't let us down

I'm a born and bred Brightonian too - I'm sure there were plenty who voted Green.

I said a few days ago that the Tories had basically given up in Pavilion to concentrate on the other two seats. Charlotte Vere must have realised that she had little chance and to finish third on a night of a strong swing to the Tories is a poor result for her.

D

Deleted User X18H

I think HB&B should be congatulated for helping Charlotte to a very creditable third place.

But I wasn't just canvassing for Vere I did much canvassing for Simon Kirby and Mike Weatherly as well.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I hope Dr Caroline Lucas and her crackpot party are exposed as the out of touch with reality cranks they are. There must be some very embarrassed people in Brighton this morning, knowing that their home town is the first in Britain to take quite such leave of its senses.

D

Deleted User X18H

I hope Dr Caroline Lucas and her crackpot party are exposed as the out of touch with reality cranks they are. There must be some very embarrassed people in Brighton this morning, knowing that their home town is the first in Britain to take quite such leave of its senses.

Ahem!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Every cloud has a silver lining Tim.

The good news is that i think i've found you a job.

The bad news is it's with Peter Mandelson. He was so impressed with your efforts for the Greens that he wants you to help out Labour in their next campaign.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Thankfully she is a lady. Having seen some of the male Green candidates as the results roll in...well lets put it this way I have seen LESS beards at a muslim terrorist convention.

D

Deleted User X18H

Every cloud has a silver lining Tim.

The good news is that i think i've found you a job.

The bad news is it's with Peter Mandelson. He was so impressed with your efforts for the Greens that he wants you to help out Labour in their next campaign.

I don't need a job I own property.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When we go to the polls again in 6 months time, please, please, please promise us Timmy that you campaign even more vehimently.

Your epic failure has brightened my mood for sure, on a par with the complete ownage of the BNP in Barking. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here