Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest Acting Performances Of All Time

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Chris Penn - Footloose.

When that big oaf learned to dance, it was truely heartwarming. Brought a tear to my eye. Why he didn't get an Oscar for that i'll never know

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Bogart and Bacall in ALL their shared pics must be in the reckoning too....sheer dynamite!

Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's, Cary Grant in NxNW and Caine in The Quiet American were all superb too.

Last edited:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Nicholson and Louise Fletcher in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Wayne in The Searchers

Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon and Godfather 1/2

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Jack Lemmon - Harry Stoner - Save the Tiger

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I think you are the first time in 17 years that anyone have ever even questioned Fiennes accent or criticised his performance, but no doubt you would have made a much better film. I stand corrected I was wrong and you were right having thought about it , Fiennes was SHIT. Thanks for putting me right on that one.

:bla:

Grow up Uncle S, from the start I said it was imho (stands for 'In My Humble Opinion'), I was putting across my take on it and never said that Fiennes was shit. Schindler's List is probably one of the greatest films ever committed to celluloid (along with Trainspotting - one you've probably never heard of as it wasn't made by Spielberg, or in Hollywood) and its only weaknesses are the oversentimental ending "I could have saved..." and Fiennes accent at times. But of course there is no middle ground with you is there? You're either right or you're right, end of story. It amazes me why you ever bother canvassing for opinions with your threads when your brain quite obviously can't cope with anything beyond your blinkered view of how things are.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My ex Loved Fiennes. I saw him in Hamlet which was fecking awesome, Ivnov which was a tour de force performance and Brand which although was a great acting performance the play was tedious and dull.

Each to his own, but I thought that Fiennes was one of the worst Hamlets I've ever seen. In fact, I'm racking my brains to think of a worst one (to be fair though, I saw it an early preview and I think it did get slightly better later in the run).

He was really good in Ivanov though- very ordinary play but he put in a cracking perfomance.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:bla:

Grow up Uncle S, from the start I said it was imho (stands for 'In My Humble Opinion'), I was putting across my take on it and never said that Fiennes was shit. Schindler's List is probably one of the greatest films ever committed to celluloid (along with Trainspotting - one you've probably never heard of as it wasn't made by Spielberg, or in Hollywood) and its only weaknesses are the oversentimental ending "I could have saved..." and Fiennes accent at times. But of course there is no middle ground with you is there? You're either right or you're right, end of story. It amazes me why you ever bother canvassing for opinions with your threads when your brain quite obviously can't cope with anything beyond your blinkered view of how things are.

" but you are wrong "

the start of your sentance. And the condascending remarks about Trainspotting sums up you are just up for a fight. Feck off.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I (honestly) thought that Liam Neeson acted Rafeypoos off the screen in that film.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A recent one is Forest Whitacker in The King of Scotland

Henry Fonda in Twelve Angry Men

:bowdown:
Both excellent shouts. One of my all time favourite performances was James Woods in Salvador - that is a fantastic film IMO.

As for Fiennes, the reason he didn't win the Oscar for that film was his performance was simply not this work of genius that Gareth insists it was. I'm not saying it wasn't a good performance but there have been so many better performances. And incidentally Gareth, you really come across as a child whenever your opinions are challenged. It used to amuse me, but now it just irritates me. Grow up eh.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'll tell you why after 7 years I am so fecking frustrated. This thread is about people's favourite performances. it is not meant to be about other people coming on on picking holes in it and trying to make you look stupid with snide remarks and condascending remarks. My rule on NSC is to respect other peoples likes. That is the rule I follow. If howver someone trys to make sinde remarks or point score and make insults I will defend my beliefs. I have criticised any ones opinion on here and do not but I am just about sick to the back teeth of being told everything I like or value or hold in high regard is a complete and utter pile of shite which happens on just about every thread.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I too saw him in Hamlet with my ex Post Schindler's List, **but you are wrong** about the need for him to speak in English for audiences to understand him, the film lost credibility due to his shite accent when a subtitled German actor (or a subtitled Fiennes speaking German, along with the rest - Neeson, Kingsley) would have been the right decision imho. **I know you love that twat Spielberg**,** but Hollywood has rotted your brain** if you think a film needs to be in English to be accepted by a mainstream audience, especially one that is set in Eastern Europe and on such a poignant topic.

Exhibit A.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So Bombabadier Twatty whoever the feck he is can feck right off.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tom Courtenay - Billy Liar (for f...s get on the train, Julie Christie is waiting for you)
Jack Lemmon - Missing (all he believes in crumbles before his eyes)
Michel Blanc - Monsieur Hire (has anybody depicted loneliness better?)
Dennis Hopper - Blue Velvet (truly scary)
Ralph Fiennes - Schindlers List (moves away from the Nazi stereotype and attempts to try and look at what motivated people to act this way)
Rachel Roberts - Saturday Night Sunday Morning (has any woman ever looked more desperate for sex?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here