Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest Acting Performances Of All Time

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Dustin Hoffman as Rain Man,also his teeth in Marathon Man.

That shark was good in Jaws.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Russell Crowe - Gladiator
George Clooney - O Brother Where Art Thou
John Goodman - In any film directed by The Coen Brothers

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Absolutely criminal none of them won an Oscar especially Fiennes who was overlooked by Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugutive for heaven's sake. The greatest ever Oscar travesty in my opinion.

'TLJ and Oscar' is an oxymoron in my book. As for Fiennes, what was Spielberg thinking about having the Fiennes character as an English speaker with a shite German tinge to his accent when most of the German soldiers spoke German in the film? With lines like "Put ze roof up, it's bloody freezing!" spoken in that comedy accent with pursed lips, Fiennes was never going to win an oscar was he? I was expecting him to come out with "Ve haf vays of making you talk!" at any moment. Shame because apart from that it was historically meticulously observed.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
'TLJ and Oscar' is an oxymoron in my book. As for Fiennes, what was Spielberg thinking about having the Fiennes character as an English speaker with a shite German tinge to his accent when most of the German soldiers spoke German in the film? With lines like "Put ze roof up, it's bloody freezing!" spoken in that comedy accent with pursed lips, Fiennes was never going to win an oscar was he? I was expecting him to come out with "Ve haf vays of making you talk!" at any moment. Shame because apart from that it was historically meticulously observed.

This is a wild stab in the dark but possibly so the audience could understand what he was saying

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I though Fiennes did a good job in that film. If you compare it to some other actors trying accents. Sean Connery's russion accent, Harrison Ford's Russian accent etc.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fiennes was bloody superb in Schindler's List and won the Bafta, the fact he did not get the Oscar is generally considered one of the academies greatest faux pass.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I though Fiennes did a good job in that film. If you compare it to some other actors trying accents. Sean Connery's russion accent, Harrison Ford's Russian accent etc.

Or the phenomenally awful attempt at a Scottish accent made by Christophe Lambert in Highlander.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I find it disappointing that the thread is about acting in film. I remember seeing a young Ralph Fiennes as Henry VI at the RSC that was absolutely astonishing.

But there are some superb stage actors around who rarely make films:Simon Russell Beale and Mark Rylance are the obvious examples - probably the best two actors in the UK right now.

In the past year, I've seen some truly memorable performances: Patrick Stewart in Macbeth, Chiwetel Ejiofor acting Ewan McGregor off the stage in Othello and the chilling Katy Stephens in Henry VI/Richard III. I can't think of many film performances that have affected me in the same way that some of these have.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I find it disappointing that the thread is about acting in film. I remember seeing a young Ralph Fiennes as Henry VI at the RSC that was absolutely astonishing.

But there are some superb stage actors around who rarely make films:Simon Russell Beale and Mark Rylance are the obvious examples - probably the best two actors in the UK right now.

In the past year, I've seen some truly memorable performances: Patrick Stewart in Macbeth, Chiwetel Ejiofor acting Ewan McGregor off the stage in Othello and the chilling Katy Stephens in Henry VI/Richard III. I can't think of many film performances that have affected me in the same way that some of these have.

I go to a fair few local theatre productions but never go to the widely known productions. Seen some good actors on-stage but no-one anyone would have heard of I'm afraid.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My ex Loved Fiennes. I saw him in Hamlet which was fecking awesome, Ivnov which was a tour de force performance and Brand which although was a great acting performance the play was tedious and dull.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
My ex Loved Fiennes. I saw him in Hamlet which was fecking awesome, Ivnov which was a tour de force performance and Brand which although was a great acting performance the play was tedious and dull.

I too saw him in Hamlet with my ex Post Schindler's List, but you are wrong about the need for him to speak in English for audiences to understand him, the film lost credibility due to his shite accent when a subtitled German actor (or a subtitled Fiennes speaking German, along with the rest - Neeson, Kingsley) would have been the right decision imho. I know you love that twat Spielberg, but Hollywood has rotted your brain if you think a film needs to be in English to be accepted by a mainstream audience, especially one that is set in Eastern Europe and on such a poignant topic.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Hello US :bigwave:

I watched Monster last night for the first time. Thought the film itself was poor (but this was the South African version, with all blaspheming and f words bleeped, so it was a bit hard to follow), but Charlize Theron was fantastic (and no, I am not South African). Youre thoughts??

And Buzzer, Stanley Baker was good, but Mangosuthu Buthelezi was better!!:jester:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I too saw him in Hamlet with my ex Post Schindler's List, but you are wrong about the need for him to speak in English for audiences to understand him, the film lost credibility due to his shite accent when a subtitled German actor (or a subtitled Fiennes speaking German, along with the rest - Neeson, Kingsley) would have been the right decision imho. I know you love that twat Spielberg, but Hollywood has rotted your brain if you think a film needs to be in English to be accepted by a mainstream audience, especially one that is set in Eastern Europe and on such a poignant topic.

I think you are the first time in 17 years that anyone have ever even questioned Fiennes accent or criticised his performance, but no doubt you would have made a much better film. I stand corrected I was wrong and you were right having thought about it , Fiennes was SHIT. Thanks for putting me right on that one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here