Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Government Spending Review.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I am extremely nervous of the impact of HE cuts. We already have a generation that has never known employment. We risk following it with generations who will have no access to continuing education = a third world nation

germanbha

Didier Konan Ya to sign
Nov 18, 2008
Uk
Should really follow in France's footsteps on this. pathetic that education and health the two most vital things to any society being cut, while useless defense projects are kept. tax the rich or kill the rich. problem solved.[/QUOT E]

Useless defence projects keeps you safe more then u will ever know reason why it isn't published is due to opsec!!!! cut job seekers and benifits first education health and defence is key to the uk.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Yes, how on earth did we manage before we had all those film studies and travel and tourism graduates?

Taking a wild guess let me say that whether you are nappy throwing or fishing with your own line you presumably have the experience and knowledge to understand that education is not solely about the subject followed but the process which opens minds and creates opportunity.

Throwaway quotes like soundbites may feel clever but are too often an indicator of practical ignorance

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yes, applying for Uni is so easy, with often 10 applicants to every place, getting in to Uni is the "easy" option.

Sure, the stress associated with getting your personal statement, picking the right uni, the right course is the "easy" option...

For me, now, getting in to Uni this year and not having to retake a year given the increace from 3k to roughtly 6/7k at least tuition fees a year is really really easy.

You need to walk in my generations shoes.

We're faced with picking up the previous generation's debt, the previous generations f*** ups. Labour have made cock ups that are going to f*** my generation out of a lot of prosperity and i'm a very vocal supporter of Labour and the left wing.

You all seem to think that me, my friends, my generation have everything really easy, that we're being brought up to do less work, that we're lazy. We're not.

Your generation raised us, develop the systems that allow us to not work as hard.

Do me a favour? Next time you have a sleepless night because that topic you struggle to grasph might cost you 20 grand, let me know and we can share sob stories because you really have no idea how hard it is to grow up today.

We might have more in the way of comforts and technological advancements than you did, but the pressure on us from mismanagement at levels far above us as mere students, and before our birth by people we didn't vote for and have no choice in electing is far greater than you will have ever had.

When you guys are long dead, I reckon we'll still be picking up the tab for your golder era.

So walk in my shoes buddy. And then tell me its the easy option.

I tell you what , the one thing you dont come across as is particularly bright, your spelling is at primary school levels, argue as much as you like , but someone with such poor literacy as you, really shouldnt be studying for a degree, go and learn to spell first,weve argued about this before , but do you really think that spelling like yours will be acceptable in industry/science/academia when you eventually leave university and are looking for a job ? as for how tough your generation has it ? im sure people who grew up in the early eighties will give you an argument.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I tell you what , the one thing you dont come across as is particularly bright, your spelling is at primary school levels, argue as much as you like , but someone with such poor literacy as you, really shouldnt be studying for a degree, go and learn to spell first,weve argued about this before , but do you really think that spelling like yours will be acceptable in industry/science/academia when you eventually leave university and are looking for a job ? as for how tough your generation has it ? im sure people who grew up in the early eighties will give you an argument.

And once again, spelling is not equal to the abilities of a student.

By your reckoning we should all go out and be given degrees based on spelling tests.

And yes, it would. You know why? Theres this thing called spell checker, or a dictonary for when spelling matters. If you wanna go and cry over a mis-spelt word thats up to you. But i'm going to go and study advance concepts in computing and software development not in memorizing the oxford dictionary.

Secondly we are in a far worse position than in the 80's.

In a sentance we're f***ed. No industry, people like you bitching about things that in the grand scheme of things just don't matter, global recession, and a generation that will have to pick up the pieces in an ever apathetic world.

They reckon in 50 to 100 years human will learn all it can learn and do all it can do.

Finally, let up on the spelling. This is NSC, and unless you work in IT, I bet I know things you couldn't even begin to describe. And you can spell words i cannot even begin to pronounce.

Clearly we have different strengths. I know what one I want out of being able to manipulate computers, and spelling words...

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Taking a wild guess let me say that whether you are nappy throwing or fishing with your own line you presumably have the experience and knowledge to understand that education is not solely about the subject followed but the process which opens minds and creates opportunity.

Throwaway quotes like soundbites may feel clever but are too often an indicator of practical ignorance
Taking a really wild guess, i'd say there is probably a little bit of difference between someone having their ' mind opened 'with a philosophy degree at cambridge and someone doing travel and tourism at basildon polytechnic, no ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
And once again, spelling is not equal to the abilities of a student.

By your reckoning we should all go out and be given degrees based on spelling tests.
Disregarding your spelling, you still dont come across as particularly bright, anyway, do you really think spelling as bad as yours will be acceptable in the workplace ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Taking a really wild guess, i'd say there is probably a little bit of difference between someone having their ' mind opened 'with a philosophy degree at cambridge and someone doing travel and tourism at basildon polytechnic, no ?

to each according to ability and opportunity NT, ability and opportunity

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

Travel and tourism has absolutely no place in a world where travel and tourism is possible now does it.

We should learn latin too...

Whats all this riff raff doing in our schools? Education should be free until 11! THen make the bastards pay. That'll keep them in their place.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
"I tell you what , the one thing you dont come across as is particularly bright, your spelling is at primary school levels, argue as much as you like , but someone with such poor literacy as you, really shouldnt be studying for a degree, go and learn to spell first,weve argued about this before , but do you really think that spelling like yours will be acceptable in industry/science/academia when you eventually leave university and are looking for a job ? as for how tough your generation has it ? im sure people who grew up in the early eighties will give you an argument.

Quote by bushy

Condescending elitist Bastard.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
"I tell you what , the one thing you dont come across as is particularly bright, your spelling is at primary school levels, argue as much as you like , but someone with such poor literacy as you, really shouldnt be studying for a degree, go and learn to spell first,weve argued about this before , but do you really think that spelling like yours will be acceptable in industry/science/academia when you eventually leave university and are looking for a job ? as for how tough your generation has it ? im sure people who grew up in the early eighties will give you an argument.

Quote by bushy

That bastard needs a little B.

:jester:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

Quote by bushy

His grammar and punctuation are none too clever either for someone setting themselves up by criticising somebody else for their faults :lolol:

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Yes, applying for Uni is so easy, with often 10 applicants to every place, getting in to Uni is the "easy" option.

Sure, the stress associated with getting your personal statement, picking the right uni, the right course is the "easy" option...

For me, now, getting in to Uni this year and not having to retake a year given the increace from 3k to roughtly 6/7k at least tuition fees a year is really really easy.

You need to walk in my generations shoes.

We're faced with picking up the previous generation's debt, the previous generations f*** ups. Labour have made cock ups that are going to f*** my generation out of a lot of prosperity and i'm a very vocal supporter of Labour and the left wing.

You all seem to think that me, my friends, my generation have everything really easy, that we're being brought up to do less work, that we're lazy. We're not.

Your generation raised us, develop the systems that allow us to not work as hard.

Do me a favour? Next time you have a sleepless night because that topic you struggle to grasph might cost you 20 grand, let me know and we can share sob stories because you really have no idea how hard it is to grow up today.

We might have more in the way of comforts and technological advancements than you did, but the pressure on us from mismanagement at levels far above us as mere students, and before our birth by people we didn't vote for and have no choice in electing is far greater than you will have ever had.

When you guys are long dead, I reckon we'll still be picking up the tab for your golder era.

So walk in my shoes buddy. And then tell me its the easy option.

Give me a break. We used to live in an Oxo tin and you dont know you're born.

There is a good reason so many students find university such a challenge today.

Evolution has not resulted in a startling improvement in human intelligence over the last 40 years. So, many students are not intelligent enough to enter the system, despite the opportunities on offer.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Give me a break. We used to live in an Oxo tin and you dont know you're born.

There is a good reason so many students find university such a challenge today.

Evolution has not resulted in a startling improvement in human intelligence over the last 40 years. So, many students are not intelligent enough to enter the system, despite the opportunities on offer.

Theres a reason why more students are wanting to take uni.

There aren't enough serious alternatives for further education. If uni is the only FE establishment, its going to have to plug the gaps that polytechnics etc have left with degrees that are worth less in those ares that used to be covered by FE institutions that weren't Uni's.

80% of students go to Uni in sweden/finland/norway (can't remember which).

Those three countries have the best education systems in the world.

:shrug:

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Sorry, i forgot , nobody ever travelled anywhere before the availability of useless, not worth a wank degrees from former polytechnics.

So tell me, how the f*** do you pick a location to build a resort, to set up a tourism economy. Last time i checked a maths degree from oxford didn't tell you how to do that.

And no, its not as easy as it looks.

You make sweeping statements about degree courses you couldn't even BEGIN to do.

And maybe if these polytechnics were given degree standard and equal awarding abilites that were taken seriously by employers, less people woudl get a degree from uni, and you can keep "the riff raff out"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here