Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Government Spending Review.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The people who have ruined the country are the idiots with degrees from the top ten universities. Remember it was the idiotic bankers who caused whole crisis.

Made a pile of money then got the taxpayer to pick up the tab when it went wrong.

They are many things, but idiots isn't one of them.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Made a pile of money then got the taxpayer to pick up the tab when it went wrong.

They are many things, but idiots isn't one of them.

and they are getting their millons in bonus etc.....wish goverment would do something about the bankers

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You cant then.

Oh but I can

you really should think before shooting from the hip - one of the issues with online communication is that you often don't know who you are talking to.

unfortunately you choose to denigrate an area of education where I have some standing and when the warning flags went up you still couldn't bring yourself to hold back

come and visit and I promise you will be impressed

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Oh but I can

you really should think before shooting from the hip - one of the issues with online communication is that you often don't know who you are talking to.

unfortunately you choose to denigrate an area of education where I have some standing and when the warning flags went up you still couldn't bring yourself to hold back

come and visit and I promise you will be impressed
put it up on here then.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, applying for Uni is so easy, with often 10 applicants to every place, getting in to Uni is the "easy" option.

Sure, the stress associated with getting your personal statement, picking the right uni, the right course is the "easy" option...

you protest too much. if anyone finds choosing and applying for uni difficult and stressfull, then i wonder if they are suited to 3 years of acedemic study.

Can you give details as to the excesses in the last ten years. I am of course assuming you are going to refer to anecdotal stories that are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and ignore the massive investment in the NHS and education!!!

details? how about the basic excess that is the massive £178billion overspend beyond what the government receives. you can argue over the fraction that went to directly to bail out banks (which we'll get back with interest soon anyway), and split hairs over where the money was spent was needed. the fact of the matter is they kept on spanking the credit card.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
put it up on here then.

Post your name and address on here (add your bank details if you wish) and I will send you details but I am sure you will appreciate I am not going to put information about individuals and joint funded projects on here even if I had the time and space. My invitation is perfectly sincere however and you would be most welcome to tour the university as my persdonal guest when you are in the midlands

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
you protest too much. if anyone finds choosing and applying for uni difficult and stressfull, then i wonder if they are suited to 3 years of acedemic study.

Its not so much the picking of the Uni as a process, its more looking about and knowing that for each place, you have to out do 10 total strangers on average. you don't know what these people have on their side so your shooting in to the darkness and that is stressful.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Post your name and address on here (add your bank details if you wish) and I will send you details but I am sure you will appreciate I am not going to put information about individuals and joint funded projects on here even if I had the time and space. My invitation is perfectly sincere however and you would be most welcome to tour the university as my persdonal guest when you are in the midlands
I appreciate the invite and all that mate,please forgive me if i dont travel all the way to the midlands to be proved wrong in a f***ing football forum spat but you gave it the large one about proving to me that a travel and tourism degree was instrumental in the design and success of various resort projects worldwide,even to the extent of adding a :facepalm: emoticon, and when challenged to produce evidence , you've suddenly become a little reticent, so please excuse a little cynicism on my part.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Its not so much the picking of the Uni as a process, its more looking about and knowing that for each place, you have to out do 10 total strangers on average. you don't know what these people have on their side so your shooting in to the darkness and that is stressful.
Welcome to the cold world outside of school then mate:laugh: if you find that stressfull just wait until you start applying for jobs.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Welcome to the cold world outside of school then mate:laugh: if you find that stressfull just wait until you start applying for jobs.

Yeah, but the difference is a lot of people on here have been through it and look back and say "yeah that was easy you aint seen nothing yet". Shame i've not seen it yet!

People who say oh its easy have the benefit of hindsight where as for me right now its the be all and end all in my life.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Work ethic. OK

Meaning?

I'm not going to blow my own trumpet and say yes, i'm also smart enough.

Spelling V Work Ethic is a much more modest way of doing things :thumbsup:

Obviously though you have to be smart enough to get in to a Uni in the first place to do a degree.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Its not so much the picking of the Uni as a process, its more looking about and knowing that for each place, you have to out do 10 total strangers on average.

maybe you are batting for one of the higher end universities. you are surely aware that they are not all equal and for many the mere presnce of an application with an A level will be enough. A level optional if you fit a demogrpahic. for some students its an oppurtunity and they excell in the uni environment. for others its just a route to a badge they wear with little real understanding of what they did for 3 years as they scrapped through a 3rd, and no aptitude to apply it to the world of work. you think all Media degree students go on to be journalists or work in production? the irony there is you need to have a english, history, philosophy degree to get far same with many industries, yet still the [subject] studies students are churned out.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
you think all Media degree students go on to be journalists or work in production?

Do any? I've been in journalism 26 years and have not come across one person who had a media studies degree. I'm sure there are some - but they're thin on the ground.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
maybe you are batting for one of the higher end universities. you are surely aware that they are not all equal and for many the mere presnce of an application with an A level will be enough. A level optional if you fit a demogrpahic. for some students its an oppurtunity and they excell in the uni environment. for others its just a route to a badge they wear with little real understanding of what they did for 3 years as they scrapped through a 3rd, and no aptitude to apply it to the world of work. you think all Media degree students go on to be journalists or work in production? the irony there is you need to have a english, history, philosophy degree to get far same with many industries, yet still the [subject] studies students are churned out.

Its not "higher end", but it is one of the new Uni's. Bournemouth for computing and i'll keep it pure computing or get a degree in digital forensics or software development (not gaming though).

Its still stressful applying for a Uni when your going through it because if you want to get in to any Uni and your having to fend off ten people who you don't know and all you have is 47 lines and 4000 characters to see your self to a complete stranger who will read hundreds or thousands of these statements it is daunting.

You have the benefit of hindsight (if you went).

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
over 4-5 years. and bear in mind, many of them are vacancies. there wont be 440k on the dole next month.

yuriart10

Oct 20, 2010
Yes, applying for Uni is so easy, with often 10 applicants to every place, getting in to Uni is the "easy" option.

Sure, the stress associated with getting your personal statement, picking the right uni, the right course is the "easy" option...

For me, now, getting in to Uni this year and not having to retake a year given the increace from 3k to roughtly 6/7k at least tuition fees a year is really really easy.

You need to walk in my generations shoes.

We're faced with picking up the previous generation's debt, the previous generations f*** ups. Labour have made cock ups that are going to f*** my generation out of a lot of prosperity and i'm a very vocal supporter of Labour and the left wing.

You all seem to think that me, my friends, my generation have everything really easy, that we're being brought up to do less work, that we're lazy. We're not.

Your generation raised us, develop the systems that allow us to not work as hard.

Do me a favour? Next time you have a sleepless night because that topic you struggle to grasph might cost you 20 grand, let me know and we can share sob stories because you really have no idea how hard it is to grow up today.

We might have more in the way of comforts and technological advancements than you did, but the pressure on us from mismanagement at levels far above us as mere students, and before our birth by people we didn't vote for and have no choice in electing is far greater than you will have ever had.

When you guys are long dead, I reckon we'll still be picking up the tab for your golder era.

So walk in my shoes buddy. And then tell me its the easy option.

I'm totally agree with you !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here