Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Government Spending Review.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
So why didn't it happen? Because youngsters took the easy option of going to university studying often totally irrelevant subjects.

Yes, applying for Uni is so easy, with often 10 applicants to every place, getting in to Uni is the "easy" option.

Sure, the stress associated with getting your personal statement, picking the right uni, the right course is the "easy" option...

For me, now, getting in to Uni this year and not having to retake a year given the increace from 3k to roughtly 6/7k at least tuition fees a year is really really easy.

You need to walk in my generations shoes.

We're faced with picking up the previous generation's debt, the previous generations f*** ups. Labour have made cock ups that are going to f*** my generation out of a lot of prosperity and i'm a very vocal supporter of Labour and the left wing.

You all seem to think that me, my friends, my generation have everything really easy, that we're being brought up to do less work, that we're lazy. We're not.

Your generation raised us, develop the systems that allow us to not work as hard.

Do me a favour? Next time you have a sleepless night because that topic you struggle to grasph might cost you 20 grand, let me know and we can share sob stories because you really have no idea how hard it is to grow up today.

We might have more in the way of comforts and technological advancements than you did, but the pressure on us from mismanagement at levels far above us as mere students, and before our birth by people we didn't vote for and have no choice in electing is far greater than you will have ever had.

When you guys are long dead, I reckon we'll still be picking up the tab for your golder era.

So walk in my shoes buddy. And then tell me its the easy option.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I have a tendancy to come across as aggressive or angry or harsh but i'm not trying to be, nor am i having a go :kiss:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes, applying for Uni is so easy, with often 10 applicants to every place, getting in to Uni is the "easy" option.

Sure, the stress associated with getting your personal statement, picking the right uni, the right course is the "easy" option...

For me, now, getting in to Uni this year and not having to retake a year given the increace from 3k to roughtly 6/7k at least tuition fees a year is really really easy.

We're faced with picking up the previous generation's debt, the previous generations f*** ups. Labour have made cock ups that are going to f*** my generation out of a lot of prosperity and i'm a very vocal supporter of Labour and the left wing.

You all seem to think that me, my friends, my generation have everything really easy, that we're being brought up to do less work, that we're lazy. We're not.

Your generation raised us, develop the systems that allow us to not work as hard.

Do me a favour? Next time you have a sleepless night because that topic you struggle to grasph might cost you 20 grand, let me know and we can share sob stories because you really have no idea how hard it is to grow up today.

We might have more in the way of comforts and technological advancements than you did, but the pressure on us from mismanagement at levels far above us as mere students, and before our birth by people we didn't vote for and have no choice in electing is far greater than you will have ever had.

When you guys are long dead, I reckon we'll still be picking up the tab for your golder era.

I agree with you 100%, and that's from someone who is teaching you 'lazy tossers' at Uni.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
i know. im just hoping the ministers and other higher echelons of the deparments will push home the plan. i live in naive hope that something can be done to cut the excesses we've had in the past 10+ years with minimal impact on real services.

Can you give details as to the excesses in the last ten years. I am of course assuming you are going to refer to anecdotal stories that are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and ignore the massive investment in the NHS and education!!!

In the 60's only 5% of people went to university and the country's economic growth was strong.

Today 20% of people go on to university, so a reduction of this number will do no real harm to the economy.

The problem is the number of people that will go to university as I agree it should be considerably less than it is, it is that it will only be affordable to the very rich who will then get the plum jobs in industry and government based on who they know and we go back to the old boys school network. Not much social mobility there then.

And that seems to be at the heart of the countries problems.

Very flippant response. What do you suggest we do then, try and compete with the mass manufacturing in Asia.

So why didn't it happen? Because youngsters took the easy option of going to university studying often totally irrelevant subjects.

So, 20% went to Uni. What did the other 80% do then?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I have a tendancy to come across as aggressive or angry or harsh but i'm not trying to be, nor am i having a go :kiss:

Bless you KneeOn,us lot on NSC would never have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out!:lolol::thumbsup:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

Nobody can deny its very very hard now,but the fact is for far to many years in recent times it was easy and many were skiving work,maybe this is how we got skill shortages in this country???

Its only become tougher in the last couple of years at most and so it should be,i find students aged 25-30 ridiculous when most of us started paying tax at 17:facepalm:

I see your point now though:thumbsup:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can you give details as to the excesses in the last ten years. I am of course assuming you are going to refer to anecdotal stories that are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and ignore the massive investment in the NHS and education!!!
They are part of the excesses - along with considerable levels of European and government funding for other services which the current government consider to be unsustainable and unaffordable. Anyone fancy a couple of brand new aircraft carriers with no aircraft to carry?

PS. When anyone says any government/ local authority/quango etc has "invested" in public services, "invested" means "spent".

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Nobody can deny its very very hard now,but the fact is for far to many years in recent times it was easy and many were skiving work,maybe this is how we got skill shortages in this country???

Its only become tougher in the last couple of years at most and so it should be,i find students aged 25-30 ridiculous when most of us started paying tax at 17:facepalm:

I see your point now though:thumbsup:

People were able to skive perhaps in the 90's when applying for Uni but correct me if i'm wrong, thats 10-20 years ago, those skiving would be 30/40 now, and in charge of our nation being MP's, raising us as young children or just setting up families. Places for uni have not met demand for the last decade at least. Then we, those who were barely in school, are left to pick up the tab? Very very few of my generation have taken Uni as an easy route.

Today not going to Uni is the easy route, no debt, no stress of applying.

There should really be a better, more established diologue between politians, and the older generation in general and those who are going to pick up the pieces from the mistakes you and those slightly older than you have made.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

This is complete bollocks.... whatever happened to rickets?
[yt]Xe1a1wHxTyo[/yt]

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
People were able to skive perhaps in the 90's when applying for Uni but correct me if i'm wrong, thats 10-20 years ago, those skiving would be 30/40 now, and in charge of our nation being MP's, raising us as young children or just setting up families. Places for uni have not met demand for the last decade at least. Then we, those who were barely in school, are left to pick up the tab? Very very few of my generation have taken Uni as an easy route.

Today not going to Uni is the easy route, no debt, no stress of applying.

There should really be a better, more established diologue between politians, and the older generation in general and those who are going to pick up the pieces from the mistakes you and those slightly older than you have made.
Whats the excuses for students who are 25-26 now then?its been much more recent than the 90's i can assure you.I know the mature students are on the rise and fairplay to them,but on estimate i would say most students start work at around the age of 23-24 in which that doesn't seem to make sense half the time???

Anyway good luck:thumbsup:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I worked my arse off in the days when there were real universities, not glorified teacher training colleges.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It should be noted most of the people deciding to make degree's too expensive for half the population got there's for free (or at least cheaper).

In addition the baby boomer generation got job security we can only now dream of and very good pensions. At least my vintage (I am 36) managed to get on the property ladder.

The professions are increasingly becoming family affairs (and you need parents who can bankroll an internship). Jobs that working class kids could once gravitate towards, such as nursing and policing are becoming increasingly unavailable.

Apprenticeships are fast disappearing and we have got overtaken in Technology and IT.

I have every sympathy for the kids of the day.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Should really follow in France's footsteps on this. pathetic that education and health the two most vital things to any society being cut, while useless defense projects are kept. tax the rich or kill the rich. problem solved.

You are havin a larf my lad. Having just returned form a week over there I can assure all NSCs that the majority of the French I spoke to abhorred the actions of the French Unions. They are nearly as financially f****d as us and equally appreciate the need to reduce the amount that public sector workers are draining out of the public pension pot. As for Students striking against pension reform, they really are having a larf. Get a job first, contribute to the pension pot and then you an have a say.

I witnessed a day of strikes last Tuesday from the French equivalent of Unite (probably the most evil of our TUs, having seen first hand,their successful efforts to f**k non Unite workers at Grangemouth a couple of years ago).

We are all paying for the problems, so buckle down and put up with it. Only with a few years of austere measures and fiscal control can we get our economies back on track. Striking will get no-one anywhere but backwards.

TNBA

TTF

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
This is the point that rankles, we're not.

Point taken, but that doesn't mean that the spending cuts shouldn't happen. The profligate spending of Blair and Brown and their combined inability to understand, control, regulate and tax the banking sector essentially led us into this mess. I totally agree that the bank buyout was done with little or no pre-conditions but the fact that we are economically knackered means a)something has to be done and b)it may seem unfair that the main purpetrators are getting away with it but c)it has to happen.
Killng the rich or castrating bankers will not solve our economic woes. Much like striking won't either.

TNBA

TTF

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Pensions and welfare should have received radical reforms about 20 years ago, recession or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here