Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I'm a public sector employee, what's wrong with working there? Am I some sort of pariah on society?

No you aren't, the country would simply not function without those who work in the public sector, unfortunately there will always be an element of society who look down their nose at you...however, when times turn nasty like they are at the moment your relative job security makes up for your wages being somewhat lower than the private sector, you have the last laugh!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We dont tax enough! Taxes are well low in this country. If there were higher taxes then nurses would get a decent wage, and trains might be better as well etc etc.

The trouble with the UK is most people want everything on the cheap.You want a better country, like most things, you have to pay for it.

Have a look at the income tax and VAT for the main players in western europe. Ours is less.

Depends what you class as tax. Council tax, TV licences, road tax, MOT, passport fees, costs of PNC checks, parking fines, speeding fines, music licences, duties on petrol, we have the 8th highest corporation tax in Europe and on and on and on and on.

University fees, dentist fees, prescription charges. All risen well above inflation and well above rates 12 years ago.

What would you call the raid on pensions, OUR pensions but nothing more than a tax.

And what exactly do you think Government debt is? Quite simply deferred taxation. A f***ing great big tax on us.

Bollocks do we "not pay enough tax".

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The government centrally planning my private life and my health; if this is what you meant Buzzer - how so?

Simple. We have a government prescribing what we put into our bodies, spying on where we go, keeping databases on children's DNA for Pete's sake.

What happened to personal responsibility?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No you aren't, the country would simply not function without those who work in the public sector, unfortunately there will always be an element of society who look down their nose at you...however, when times turn nasty like they are at the moment your relative job security makes up for your wages being somewhat lower than the private sector, you have the last laugh!

Oh yes, that old one. More public sector must mean a better society.

Well, by that reckoning Britain must be rolling in sodding clover at the moment. We have one of the biggest public sectors in the world. It's no longer true that public sector workers per se are badly paid - I know this for a very fact. I used to be finance manager for a central Government non-departmental public body and am well aware of comparative salaries, pension values and other non-monetary packages compared with the private sector.

Yes, we need a public sector. We don't need one as big as we've got. Wealth and the public sector is ultimately paid for by private enterprise. That's who we should be focussing on looking after NOW. The little guy who's been screwed for the last 12 years to pay for this huge public expansion.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Depends what you class as tax. Council tax, TV licences, road tax, MOT, passport fees, costs of PNC checks, parking fines, speeding fines, music licences, duties on petrol, we have the 8th highest corporation tax in Europe and on and on and on and on.

University fees, dentist fees, prescription charges. All risen well above inflation and well above rates 12 years ago.

What would you call the raid on pensions, OUR pensions but nothing more than a tax.

And what exactly do you think Government debt is? Quite simply deferred taxation. A f***ing great big tax on us.

Totally agree with you- gordon brown has always been good at one thing and thats implementing stealth taxation. Another example is the failure of the higher rate tax-bracket to increase in line with average earnings, meaning many more people are now in the top bracket compared to 10 years ago

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
And may I add abolishing the 10p tax bracket is a scandal and proves that the 'new labour' gouvernment dont have working class people's interests at heart. I wish people would stop going on about how labour are still the party of the working classes. They're no better than the tories. And dont get me started on tuition fees

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
And I.D cards. Christ what are these ***** doing with our civil liberties! The day those cards become compulsory is the day i leave this god-forsaken island

Simple. We have a government prescribing what we put into our bodies, spying on where we go, keeping databases on children's DNA for Pete's sake.

What happened to personal responsibility?

Don't see how any of this shows that the government is centrally planning my private life and health (which was your original point) but:

1) The government prescribing what I put into my body - I don't think so.
2) The government spying on where I go - not sure what you're on about here? CCTV?
3) Don't have a problem with the national DNA database.
4) Personal responsibility. Mine's OK, and you?

Why Tom. What is there from Labour for a single person or people without children who want to work hard and succeed ?. There is nothing. If I bang up a local woman and we have 3 kids. I could sign myself off through stress through job hardships, get paid every week not to work, get a computer and boradband, get hundreds of pounds each month for the brats. Hell I can even take us all to see The Wiazrd of Oz for free at the Theatre Royal this Xmas when every one else will have to pay £ 20 odd quid for a ticket.

Its a fecking joke.
It's NOT TRUE, Uncle Spielberg.

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
I work my bollocks off for a measly £6.03 an hour when the lazy twats signed off on Disability get a cushy number sitting at home watching TV.

I worked for over thirty years paying all my taxes, then I was diagnosed with
multiple sclerosis. I will swap my £85 per week in disabillity allowances and the
chance of sitting at home watching tv for your good health and £6.03 per hour!

You my friend, are a c u n t of the highest order - f*** OFF!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ignoring people's perceptions of what are the real problems in this country, I haven't seen ONE scrap of evidence to suggest the Tories would do ANYTHING different to Labour.

It would be easy to argue that the system of state benefits needs an overhaul, but I guarantee you the Tories won't do that. Equally, I do hold the government partially responsible for the econmomic gloom - if he'd banned LIAR and 110% mortgages, we wouldn't have the ridiculous house prices against which people have borrowed and got themselves into trouble. But going back to my point, the Tories never advocated these difficult decisions in the boom time either!

The Tories offer no real change, which is why I find Uncle Spielbergs pro-Cameronism so utterly nausiating.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
100% + mortgages accounted for aroud 1-2% of new mortgages. this did not cause spiralling house prices this is a myth and also the Northern Rock and others 125% mortgages were 95% mortgage on the house and a 30% unsecured loan not 125% of the property. The house price correction was probably needed but came about from the US subprime problems and house prices crashes and the complete and total turning off of the supply of mortgage funds. The new mortgage figures for August are again a new record ow at jus 21000 new mortgage approvals for the whole UK.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Ignoring people's perceptions of what are the real problems in this country, I haven't seen ONE scrap of evidence to suggest the Tories would do ANYTHING different to Labour.

It would be easy to argue that the system of state benefits needs an overhaul, but I guarantee you the Tories won't do that. Equally, I do hold the government partially responsible for the econmomic gloom - if he'd banned LIAR and 110% mortgages, we wouldn't have the ridiculous house prices against which people have borrowed and got themselves into trouble. But going back to my point, the Tories never advocated these difficult decisions in the boom time either!

The Tories offer no real change, which is why I find Uncle Spielbergs pro-Cameronism so utterly nausiating.

Regrettably the country is infested with people who say 'any alternative is better than what we have'. The trouble is, just what is the alternative they are seeking? Who for example the shadow childrens' minister? what is their view on nursery/school places for 2 years olds?

What does the shadow chancellor (friend of the Gordon Gecko brigade) think of greater regulation of the financial industry?

What are the conservative proposals on defence epecially around ensuring our troops are properly supplied?

What is the shadow culture minister's view on the Olympics?

Who can name all 4 of these shadow cabinet members without doing a Google?

I'm all for wanting change - I just want to know what I'm changing to.

Let us also never forget that David Cameron was an adviser to ITV digital when it pulled the plug on Football League Clubs.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
100% + mortgages accounted for aroud 1-2% of new mortgages. this did not cause spiralling house prices this is a myth and also the Northern Rock and others 125% mortgages were 95% mortgage on the house and a 30% unsecured loan not 125% of the property. The house price correction was probably needed but came about from the US subprime problems and house prices crashes and the complete and total turning off of the supply of mortgage funds. The new mortgage figures for August are again a new record ow at jus 21000 new mortgage approvals for the whole UK.
OK I take your point, but even 4x salary is too high IMO. The simple fact is that property prices were driven up because a) people were allowed to borrow way beyond their means and b) buying flats for "buy to let" became far more lucrative than other sensible investment vehicles.
The government failed to make the policy decisions required to cool off the demand in housing and now we have a good deal of the population owing thousands borrowed against inflated equity levels, and yet more unable to even get on the ladder.

Anyway, if we're talking myths - you're in no position to talk. There is a myth that Labour tax us too highly. That is simply not true.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
What makes me so F***ING ANGRY is the way that ordinary people who are having a rough time pick on other ordinary people who they perceive as having 'a cushy time' rather than, say, the super rich scum who flaunt their wealth in our faces....and menace our savings, and our futures, for their own personal profit....

Yes, Spielberg, doff your little cap to your Old Etonian betters while slagging off the disabled and the poor. You, and all those like you on here, should read 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists' by Robert Tressell. Divide and rule....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
so all of a sudden Labour are in favour of more regulation. Do you know how many speeches Ed Balls made less than 2 years ago advocating a light touch regulatory approach?

It's simply not good enough to try and pin this on the Tories. In power for 11 years, the only western nation facing recession, inflation out of control, borrowing at record high, confidence in the PM at record low and a third more children in poverty than when they took office according to radio 4.

Time for a change.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

is the absolute truth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here