Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glastonbury

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Coldplay a 'rock band' !?!?!?!?!

I don't get this sniping and slagging off of Coldplay. Is it because they are massive? OK they are not my favourite band by a very long way but they are certainly capable of rocking and they have some good tunes. Some of their stuff is a bit dirgy and quite a bit is very samey BUT they are NOT the spawn of the Devil or some shitty little teeny bopper band that deserve to be sneered at. It seems to be totally uncool to even suggest that they may not be a bad band. Has to be the most vilified band ever on NSC.

I personally think U2 are a one trick pony led by a self righteous twat and laugh that anyone can be mug enough to think that they are the best band in the world and as for that f***ing kerchung riff in 95 % of their songs .grrrrrrrr but I do appreciate that what they do they do quite well. I can't bring myself to hate them like so many of you hate Coldplay :shrug:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I wasn't slagging them off - where did that come from? I don't mind Coldplay and have a couple of their albums, but they are not a 'rock' band.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wasn't slagging them off - where did that come from? I don't mind Coldplay and have a couple of their albums, but they are not a 'rock' band.

I though they rocked for quite a bit of what I saw last night. It wasn't your post I was having a go at it just happened to be the one I quoted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A senior member of David Cameron's Tory constituency association has been found dead in a toilet at Glastonbury Festival, the BBC understands. from BBC

I saw this unfold in front of me. I popped out of my tent for my own toilet visit, and to grab some breakfast, as the first police and ambulance arrived. I then got stuck in the cafe/bar after the police cordoned off the area with my tent just the wrong side of the police line.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
So lets get this right if you like Coldplay that is fine but if you don't like them you are simply jumping on the anti Coldplay bandwagon!!!??

For what it is worth I do not think they are the worst band around and can see why people like their music. However having been to a Coldplay gig they offer no entertainment to me as a live experience and I find them very pedestrian. However music is about opinions and there is no right or wrong simply what you like and don't

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Gotta say I am finding the terms Coldplay and rockband difficult to connect. To say it was the greatest rock show ever tends to ignore the likes of Led Zep at Knebworth , The Rolling Stones at Hyde Park , The Foo Fighters at Hyde Park, AC/DC -Monsters of Rock , Metallica ......anywhere !!!!
I like rock , and I like rock bands and I go to rock festivals. Coldplay would never be invited or accepted at any of those festivals. I tuned in to watch them to see what all the fuss was about . But they are exactly as they have always been . A band that plays very well written , very well crafted ballads. But it ain't rock.
Now , hands up , I wasn't there, but based on seeing QOTSA a number of times at festivals and indoors , I would say with confidence that they would probably have sent Coldplay and their fans running away in tears at their nasty loud music.
And has Beyonce just struck the death nell and finally turned Glastonbury into a chart friendly festival ??
I might sound a little anti Glastonbury , but I did have to admire whoever performed , whatever their musical credentials . They did have a shed load of people enjoying every note and singing along to every lyric. .... It's just not for me.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I tuned in to see Coldplay - I first saw them doing a live gig in the BBC carpark and was quite impressed but I'm not a huge fan, having been dragged along to see them later that year at Wembley I found myself enjoying Jay - Z (surprisingly as I'm by no means a rap fan) much more than Coldplay who seemed a bit tepid. However to get back to this weekend I thought that they sounded much more muscular than normal and I came to the conclusion that Chris Martin had actually grown himself a pair of bollocks. I did quite enjoy their set, but was terribly disappointed by ms backing tapes Knowles who I thought was quite dreadful.
If Hawkwind/Edgar Broughton etc were dead they'd have been turning in their graves to see what this festival has become. It's now just part of the summer social scene and has about as much relevance to a rock festival as a packet of Weetabix. Give me the Rhythm Festival every time

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Beyonce is not the type of shit i pay to watch, i saw her at the dome and she spent 50 mins saying 'hello london'

if you'd rather watch that then a band like coldplay then in my honest opinion, your f***ing bent :)

Why would she say 'Hello London' if she was at The Dome, shouldnt it be 'Hello Brighton'?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Coldplay were ok but not the greatest concert ever, by any means, and I'd disagree that they are a 'rock' band. Their previous performances at Glasto have been better than this one IMO. I agree it seems fashionable to 'hate' them for some reason but they didn't look at their best to me. QOTSA absolutely f***ing dominated yesterday, anyone wondering whether Coldplay are a rock band should check QOTSA out on iPlayer and stand corrected.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Anyone see Eels - either in the flesh or on the telly?

I thought they were excellent - and had the best collection of beards seen on stage since the demise of ZZ-Top!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here