Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury 2024

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I take music on a song by song basis. I may like something, or I may not. Doesn’t mean that if I liked something by someone that I’ll like the next thing that they do. Likewise, if I disliked something someone did that I’ll dislike their other stuff. Tonight, I watched ‘Standing in the way of Control’ by Gossip. Never heard of them. Had me bouncing on the sofa! I like being surprised.
After weeks of having that song randomly stuck in my head and annoying everyone by singing the chorus incessantly, I finally got rid of it a few days ago...and now it's back.
:ffsparr: :amex:😍

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Tonight, I watched Gossip. Never heard of them. Had me bouncing on the sofa! I like being surprised.
But not nearly as surprised as the drummer and the bass player when they realised nobody had packed their stage outfits.

(Yes, I’ve turned into my dad, RIP).

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Despite being a man hater and not everyone's cup of tea .....judging from what I saw from sza in London last night she will go down very well at glasto. Excellent live, a non cringe version of Taylor swift.

Burna boy is on her before her, I saw him at Coachella a year ago and thought he was terrible, found it unlistenable, crowd almost booed him off, be interesting to see how popular he is with the middle class white crowd (although TBF Coachella is also a middle class white crowd just younger and much better looking !)

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
In the least mean way possible, don’t listen to it during Glastonbury if you dislike it?

As per this thread, it’s a massive deal that most people love. It’s one of the biggest hits for the BBC and their coverage reflects that.

It’s a bit like being at work during the Euros and having people go out of their way to tell me that they dislike football and aren’t going to watch any of it.

In the least mean way possible, don’t listen to it during Glastonbury if you dislike it?

As per this thread, it’s a massive deal that most people love. It’s one of the biggest hits for the BBC and their coverage reflects that.

It’s a bit like being at work during the Euros and having people go out of their way to tell me that they dislike football and aren’t going to watch any of it.
“Just switch it off” is an answer, however replace it with what? How am I going to survive without Names in songs….

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Burna boy is on her before her, I saw him at Coachella a year ago and thought he was terrible, found it unlistenable, crowd almost booed him off, be interesting to see how popular he is with the middle class white crowd
Burna Boy lived in my village, with Stefflon Don, till they broke up last year. They once advised a friend of mine (who lives next door to Stefflon Don’s place) that they planned to have a party, which he thought was very considerate of them.

It went on for 3 days :lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
They love performing, same as many performers. Not sure I’d confuse it with work ethic.
Absolutely, and there is an ego element to it, but it's so much more than that, having the motivation to do all the philanthropic stuff on the side, plus everything else that comes with touring etc, the sheer exhaustion and tedium, the politics, it's not just getting up and singing para para paradise in Buenos Aires, Manila or Swindon and done with it, Martin juggling family on both sides of the pond etc. That isn't your average person's 'work ethic,' music star career or not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolutely, and there is an ego element to it, but it's so much more than that, having the motivation to do all the philanthropic stuff on the side, plus everything else that comes with touring etc, the sheer exhaustion and tedium, the politics, it's not just getting up and singing para para paradise in Buenos Aires, Manila or Swindon and done with it, Martin juggling family on both sides of the pond etc. That isn't your average person's 'work ethic,' music star career or not.
He got to bang Jennifer Lawrence though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Coldplay have only toured 8 times in 24 years, they carefully schedule it too. Maybe it is incredibly hard, I have no idea actually, perhaps it is an amazing work ethic.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Pay attention at around 2.20 :lolol:

Two things. One, I don't 'hate' cold play. I watched a bit of their set yesterday and I literally can't remember a note of it. I am of course familiar with Chris Martin but I couldn't describe what he looks like. He's a man, and I think he's Caucasian. That's it.

I can't remember what the other thing was.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'll admit to finding The Coldplay hate just bizarre.

There'a a whole world of music that doesn't work for me, but I don't call it shit/shite/<insert another abusive term here>.

Me not liking something doesn't make it objectively shit.

I recall eagerly awaiting the arrival of Springsteen at the Pyramid Stage on the Saturday night way back in 2009. I'd not seen him live before, but his live sets were legendary. After half an hour I'd had enough - it just wasn't for me. It wasn't shite, it just didn't vibe with me. I staggered off and found The Wonder Stuff playing Dizzy in a tent somewhere and got involved in the bouncing around, having all kinds of fun.

Springsteen isn't shite. Coldplay aren't shite.

Music is a big, broad place. Enjoy what you like. Don't slag off the stuff you don't, nor the people who enjoy it.
I understand the broader point but on every football chat there will be a description of a player or referee being shit/useless etc. When clearly they must be incredibly talented to be doing it in the PL/EFL/non league

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'll admit to finding The Coldplay hate just bizarre.

There'a a whole world of music that doesn't work for me, but I don't call it shit/shite/<insert another abusive term here>.

Me not liking something doesn't make it objectively shit.

I recall eagerly awaiting the arrival of Springsteen at the Pyramid Stage on the Saturday night way back in 2009. I'd not seen him live before, but his live sets were legendary. After half an hour I'd had enough - it just wasn't for me. It wasn't shite, it just didn't vibe with me. I staggered off and found The Wonder Stuff playing Dizzy in a tent somewhere and got involved in the bouncing around, having all kinds of fun.

Springsteen isn't shite. Coldplay aren't shite.

Music is a big, broad place. Enjoy what you like. Don't slag off the stuff you don't, nor the people who enjoy it.

Another annoying thing among my muso friends is that when a band become big they suddenly become 'shit'. I must admit I am not a fan of big venues and would much rather see bands in small intimate clubs, but just because a band becomes commercially successful doesn't make them suddenly rubbish.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone saying Coldplay are shit are a bit silly really after last night. Rave reviews across the board

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Just watching Dexys on the iplayer...

Great way to start a Sunday
I watched it last night, thought it was a bit slow but got going eventually. Probably better on a Sunday morning.

was a little dissapointed the bass player hid behind the keyboard players stand/curtain . . .and no guitarist.

budgetary restraints.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here