Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury 2024

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Be fair, you have a soft spot for them. Me? I think they are one of the most cringe-worthy bands that became 'big' in the past 20+years.
And CM is a knob.
Just my opinion, but I'll defend it for all time! :D
Sure. I've seen them live a few times, although not for at least 10-12 years now. Possibly more like 15 years.

This thread seems to illustrate people who hate them, watching them, and telling others how rubbish they are. That's just strange behaviour, isn't it? Why not invest your time watching something you might enjoy rather than something you absolutely know you hate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Be fair, you have a soft spot for them. Me? I think they are one of the most cringe-worthy bands that became 'big' in the past 20+years.
And CM is a knob.
Just my opinion, but I'll defend it for all time! :D
Chris Martin comes across as quite a decent chap, and at times quite amusing, in my opinion.

His car pool thing with James Cordon is funny, what with his Jagger and Springsteen impressions. And I’ve seen him on chat shows and he’s good value.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Sure. I've seen them live a few times, although not for at least 10-12 years now. Possibly more like 15 years.

This thread seems to illustrate people who hate them, watching them, and telling others how rubbish they are. That's just strange behaviour, isn't it? Why not invest your time watching something you might enjoy rather than something you absolutely know you hate.
Ah, bollocks...I admit it....I quite enjoyed it. I hate myself a little more than I usually do, though. :)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Chris Martin comes across as quite a decent chap, and at times quite amusing, in my opinion.

His car pool thing with James Cordon is funny, what with his Jagger and Springsteen impressions. And I’ve seen him on chat shows and he’s good value.
Watched bits of him tonight. Seemed so out of touch.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just found the Paul Heaton performance on iPlayer. Wow. Rhianne Downey’s vocals made the brilliant Song For Whoever even better. And the reunion with FBS 😍 .

It’s interesting how sets improve as the singer’s vocals loosen up or the sound people get it right. First couple of songs PH was drowned out by imho an overly dominant keyboard volume.

Rarely watch Glastonbury, but the Housemartins mini reunion was very special. I've had a terrible couple of years personally and next week the Tories get kicked out.

I think things may have turned a corner.

:lolol:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Ah, bollocks...I admit it....I quite enjoyed it. I hate myself a little more than I usually do, though. :)
The song he ruined by ordering the audience about was what wound me up. I like it and he stops it to order everyone to do what he wants right at the point it drops. What the actual f***?

In a world of Crystal Palace, Sunak and Nigel Farage he somehow winds me up more than all of them put together.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017

You won't be visiting the England match thread tomorrow afternoon, then?

I will admit to being quietly impressed by their Super Bowl halftime set a while back - it was short, sweet and to the point. Tonight's set was just bland, passionless pap.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
You won't be visiting the England match thread tomorrow afternoon, then?

I will admit to being quietly impressed by their Super Bowl halftime set a while back - it was short, sweet and to the point. Tonight's set was just bland, passionless pap.
The one thing that impressed me the most was the audience - they loved it - and tbf, that's what Glasto is about...so fair (Cold) play.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Been a age since I listened to Coldplay but that was a quite epic set

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I struggling to think how Chris Martin will cope when he discovers that seemingly many men in their fifties, sixties and seventies who spend Saturday nights at home watching telly, don’t like his band.

I’m guessing he’ll probably read the writing on the wall and pack it in.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't really know why I hate Coldplay so much. I suspect it's because they are a repackaged U2 to make them acceptable to Conservative voters.

( only joking *)

(*) I think...

Just found the Paul Heaton performance on iPlayer. Wow. Rhianne Downey’s vocals made the brilliant Song For Whoever even better. And the reunion with FBS 😍 .

It’s interesting how sets improve as the singer’s vocals loosen up or the sound people get it right. First couple of songs PH was drowned out by imho an overly dominant keyboard volume.
Just caught up on Iplayer. Amazing back catalogue. Inspired me to look at tours and saw he is coming to Brighton in December. Just bought a couple of tickets.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I struggling to think how Chris Martin will cope when he discovers that seemingly many men in their fifties, sixties and seventies who spend Saturday nights at home watching telly, don’t like his band.

I’m guessing he’ll probably read the writing on the wall and pack it in.
This could be para-para-paradise.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
I’m not a fan of the music, but Chris Martin is such an underrated dancer. It’s just capivating.

And the bit when he paused sky full of stars and pretended the show was finishing.. that got me.

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020
I take music on a song by song basis. I may like something, or I may not. Doesn’t mean that if I liked something by someone that I’ll like the next thing that they do. Likewise, if I disliked something someone did that I’ll dislike their other stuff. Tonight, I watched ‘Standing in the way of Control’ by Gossip. Never heard of them. Had me bouncing on the sofa! I like being surprised.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
No. I went to Reading in 75, and saw Guns 'n Roses and The Cult at Donnington in the 90s. I found the general experience horrible. The crowds, the 'facilities' and most of the people. Mrs T persuaded me to go to Wide Awake in Brockwell Park last year. That was a fabulous day. Lots of space, no hoards of dick heads, nice friendly people wanting to chat with me about The Albion (I had an Albion shirt on). We saw Molchat Doma, A Place to Bury Strangers and Lebananon Hanover. It was sunny but unseasonably cold, with plenty of room for an Old Man to have a sit down. The concessions were accessible and reasonably priced. Magical.

The idea of camping, and being in a crowd of tens of thousands, with all those soppy flags (I laughed when Idles made them put them away) and the general milling around waiting between acts would have me in a right old state. I need to feel in control of my environment. I'd have a face like a smacked arse. So in general I hate 'festivals' too, but really enjoy watching decent sets on the tellybox, like Idles yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here