Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get behind McGhee he is seriously in credit with this club

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Don't try to wriggle out of it, LI. You stated, as clear as day, that the reason McGhee didn't spend the Coca Cola money on a targetman, and instead bought CKR, was that he couldn't afford to pay anyone a £500,000 signing-on fee.

Which is absolute rubbish. He wouldn't have needed to pay anyone a £500,000 signing-on fee, as Championship players simply don't get that sort of money these days. So you were talking shite. As usual.

Stop misbehaving, or I'll use your favourite trick and start bouncing old threads. Then you'll look even more of a fool than you're looking now.

Last edited:

The Laughing Bluebird said:
Don't try to wriggle out of it, LI. You stated, as clear as day, that the reason McGhee didn't spend the Coca Cola money on a targetman, and instead bought CKR, was that he couldn't afford to pay anyone a £500,000 signing-on fee.

Which is absolute rubbish. He wouldn't have needed to pay anyone a £500,000 signing-on fee, as Championship players simply don't get that sort of money these days.

I repeat, because I have the patience of Job with deluded Celts, Championship players who don't score hatfuls of goals don't, Bosman signings don't - but that's not the kind of player we're talking about, is it? We're talking about a PROVEN, TRACK RECORD GOAL-SCORER.

Remind me how much Wycombe have turned down for the likes of Nathan Tyson again?

You have been provoked into this kind of ranting inconsistency from the views you originally posted alongside the Echo article, why? Because it's me - I'm deeply touched I still provoke such kneejerk red mist :lolol:

Now schizo taffy, do you genuinely understand the pressures that McGhee works under, as you occasionally claim, or are you going to be our Welsh Ernest? :lol:

Last edited:

Simster said:
Just in the nick of time TLB. :thumbsup:

Wish we could say the same about your NSC debts :thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
London Irish said:
I repeat, because I have the patience of Job with deluded Celts, Championship players who don't score hatfuls of goals don't, Bosman signings don't - but that's not the kind of player we're talking about, is it? We're talking about a PROVEN, TRACK RECORD GOAL-SCORER.

Dear oh dear oh dear. Are you deliberately living up to the 'thick Irishman' stereotype, or is it a natural occurrence?

TLB, at 3-10pm: "I'm amazed that the Coca Cola money was spent on CKR when it seemed clear that you needed a decent targetman."

LI, at 3-29pm: "We couldn't afford the wages of a decent Championship level targetman (they come in about £500k signing-on fee).

Now, although the bracketed part of your post was actually gibberish in the first place, the message seemed clear enough to me: it was that you believe a decent targetman at Championship level would command a signing-on fee of at least £500,000, which is why Mark McGhee didn't bring one in during the summer.

Nobody mentioned PROVEN, TRACK RECORD GOALSCORERS. At least not until your latest post they didn't. But, that said, even the majority of PROVEN, TRACK RECORD GOALSCORERS at this level would not command a signing-on fee of anything like £500,000. That's a fantasy figure. And I think you now realise that, which is why you're trying to worm out of having said it in the first place.

It is my opinion that, although he has generally done a fine job since he arrived at Brighton, Mark McGhee made a mistake during the summer when he used the Coca Cola money to bring in a young, inexperienced player like CKR when the club appeared to need an experienced targetman. That was the point I was trying to make.

I didn't suggest the need for a PROVEN, TRACK RECORD GOALSCORER at Championship level. We can't afford one of those, let alone you. But even if we could, we certainly wouldn't have to pay him a £500,000 signing-on fee.

(Further note for you: neither Darren Purse nor Kevin Cooper were Bosman signings, as you suggested in an earlier post. They were both cash purchases, in one case from a Premiership club and in the other from another Championship club. Try to keep up, thicko.)

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
We had no right whatsoever when we went up from Div 1 in McGhees first season, no one expected us to and McGhee achieved this.

I would humbly suggest that there was nobody more gob-smacked than MGhee when we beat Swindon in the semi-final. Just look at his face on the video. Or listen to him in the post-match interview coming as close to genuinely apologising for winning as I've ever heard a manager do before or since. He was practically in shock and babbling like a LOON. :D

Dear oh dear oh dear. Are you deliberately living up to the 'thick Irishman' stereotype, or is it a natural occurrence?

TLB, at 3-10pm: "I'm amazed that the Coca Cola money was spent on CKR when it seemed clear that you needed a decent targetman."

LI, at 3-29pm: "We couldn't afford the wages of a decent Championship level targetman (they come in about £500k signing-on fee).

Now, although the bracketed part of your post was actually gibberish in the first place, the message seemed clear enough to me: it was that you believe a decent targetman at Championship level would command a signing-on fee of at least £500,000, which is why Mark McGhee didn't bring one in during the summer.

Nobody mentioned PROVEN, TRACK RECORD GOALSCORERS. At least not until your latest post they didn't. But, that said, even the majority of PROVEN, TRACK RECORD GOALSCORERS at this level would not command a signing-on fee of anything like £500,000. That's a fantasy figure. And I think you now realise that, which is why you're trying to worm out of having said it in the first place.

It is my opinion that, although he has generally done a fine job since he arrived at Brighton, Mark McGhee made a mistake during the summer when he used the Coca Cola money to bring in a young, inexperienced player like CKR when the club appeared to need an experienced targetman. That was the point I was trying to make.

I didn't suggest the need for a PROVEN, TRACK RECORD GOALSCORER at Championship level. We can't afford one of those, let alone you. But even if we could, we certainly wouldn't have to pay him a £500,000 signing-on fee.

(Further note for you: neither Darren Purse nor Kevin Cooper were Bosman signings, as you suggested in an earlier post. They were both cash purchases, in one case from a Premiership club and in the other from another Championship club. Try to keep up, thicko.)

Hold on, I'm trying to wade my way through this convoluted treacle, do you think by "signing on" fee I meant a cash payment to the player?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
London Irish said:
do you think by "signing on" fee I meant a cash payment to the player?

Yes indeed. A 'signing-on fee' is the recognised term used in the world of football for a cash payment made to a player when he 'signs on' at a new club.

Don't tell me: in the weird, wild, wacky world of London Irish, the term means something completely different?

Good grief......

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
London Irish said:
Hold on, I'm trying to wade my way through this convoluted treacle, do you think by "signing on" fee I meant a cash payment to the player?

:jester:

Yes indeed. A 'signing-on fee' is the recognised term used in the world of football for a cash payment made to a player when he 'signs on' at a new club.

Don't tell me: in the weird, wild, wacky world of London Irish, the term means something completely different?

Good grief......

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

So you're entire rants for the last 4 hours have been based on a misreading of what I said? That's brilliant - you've genuinely surpassed yourself this time TLB :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
London Irish said:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

So you're entire rants for the last 4 hours have been based on a misreading of what I said? That's brilliant - you've genuinely surpassed yourself this time TLB :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

It wasn't a misreading at all. You used the wrong phrase.

Either that or this is your way of trying to worm your way out of the argument as you have realised you are wrong.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dave the gaffer said:
I dont think anyone on here actually knows:

Rumours and heresay=

carole - Free GREAT PLAYER
Fructos = free STILL WAITING TO SEE - Invisible on saturday
Turenzio - £150k paid to his agent for his contract _ YORKIE SAYS HE IS CRAP !!!
Henderson - loan goes back in three weeks
Blayney - Loan goes back at end of Nov
Dodds - free _ INJURED PLAYER AGAIN
French Goalie - two year loan deal _ YORKIE SAYS HE IS CRAP ALSO

In Harding £500k + appearances
Virgo £1.5million ( Best bit of business since we sold Cullip for money Mcghee is a geniuos following this hilarious transaction)

If you are going to quote me Dave at least get your facts straight. I know this is Nsc where facts don't really matter but make up your own ideas and stop trying to make mine look bad.

Chaigneau - I hadn't seen him play before last Tuesday's reserve match. Other people had said he was bad at Shrewsbury but I wasn't at that game.
If you care to look up last week's report I said I was pleasantly surprised because he did a couple of good saves especially one from a free kick which he pushed around the post for a corner.

Turienzo - I said he looked as though he couldn't be bothered. I said he may have some ability but until he puts the effort in he's not going to get into the first team to show it.

Gobby Yorkshiremen :rolleyes:

They're all the same

fatboy said:
It wasn't a misreading at all. You used the wrong phrase.

Either that or this is your way of trying to worm your way out of the argument as you have realised you are wrong.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: Another of my old fans wade in.

Out of interest, go back and look at the original phrase I used in the post.

Did I say signing-on fee goon? :lolol: :lolol:

London Irish said:
Re. TLB's point knocking CKR - we couldn't afford the wages of a Championship level targetman (they come in about £500k signing fee) even if we could have blown all our available cash on the signing fee!

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Yes it is TLB :lolol: :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be honest LI, most of your recent posts have been well worth it. Here, sadly, we have you reverting to type. A gibbering self-centred know-it-all who has been made to look like a total monkey owing to the fact that you simply will never ever ever not once even admit that you are wrong - even where the FACTS are staring you in the face.

Carry on defending the indefensible by all means though - just in case there is anybody out there who hasn't decided what to make of you yet. :D

TLB, I'm quite prepared to have this entire conversation over again WITHOUT the misunderstanding (even if it does empty NSC :lol: ).

Do my views now look so outlandish now? A competent Championship level player will cost at least £500,000 to sign, won't they? Looking at the examples of Parkin, Tyson and Eastwood? Money we don't have even before the wages we couldn't afford.

I was simply trying to explain why went for CKR, a guy whose fee we could afford and whose wages we could afford.

Last edited:

Simster said:
To be honest LI, most of your recent posts have been well worth it. Here, sadly, we have you reverting to type. A gibbering self-centred know-it-all who has been made to look like a total monkey owing to the fact that you simply will never ever ever not once even admit that you are wrong - even where the FACTS are staring you in the face.

Carry on defending the indefensible by all means though - just in case there is anybody out there who hasn't decided what to make of you yet. :D

And you're such an unbiased source on this :lolol:

Lend us a tenner mate :)

KinkyGoebels said:
But with the money spent on ckr and the rest of the cola cash plus el turi cash that could have got a decent forward

The wages and stadium are as much as of the problem as the fee, even if you blew the £350k on one player. The fee is just one bit of the puzzle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here