Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get behind McGhee he is seriously in credit with this club

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Tubthumper

HERECY..........BURN HIM

I think the fact that we received in over 2 million in the Summer in transfers and as yet, we have spent bugger all on anyone ( only An Argie who Yorkie recons is crap), in other words that money went byebyes shows that the "circumstances " are in fact what the issue is

Jul 25, 2003
Saltdean
Good to read a positive thread. Surely being an Albion supporter is about sticking with the team and manager through ups and downs and not panicking when the going gets tough. Of course, that can't be in all circumstances but there's no way we should be heading towards a Palace game with the feeling that there are rats deserting a sinking ship. We've got an experienced manager, some reasonable young players and we've done enough against some "big" sides to know we can punch above our weight. Hopefully we've got a Falmer "yes" to give us a boost in a few weeks. Get into them!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Tubthumper said:
What exactly are "these circumstances" though?

Finances: given the Coca-cola money our player budget must be as good if not better than a number of other clubs? We certainly havn't struggled to sign players of a seemingly good pedigree this summer.

Training facilities: we use the local university facilities. How many other Championship clubs have their own facilities?

Ground: enought said. We obviously struggle on this front, but at times I do wonder if our atmosphere, pitch and player facilites are as great a hinderance to the team as they are made out to be. Is our atmosphere or facilites that much worse than say Watford, Cardiff, Luton, Burnley, Plymouth, Crewe?

Before anyone asks, these are questions, nothing else. I am just curious as to what people's perception of 'these circumstances' means as it is often used in discussion. But, it is my opinion (based on some guess work I admit) that we are not the most disadvantaged team in the Championship. Consequently I feel we should be doing a little better than we are. Maybe someone can prove me wrong with some facts?

Tubthumper.

Finances The Coca-cola money had to be used on a player, we used it on CKR and his wages. It was / is not allowed to be used for anything else. Yes we have signed a few good players but all young (Dodd apart). We have not been able to attract tried and tested players.

Training facilities I might be wrong but most clubs have their own Training facilities, or at least ones were the whole world cannot see you training.

Ground The main thing is the size, we are unable to make money. That with the fact that it is not designed to host football makes it the worse ground in the league.

If you were a player and had the choice of going to a club were you will be playing in front of 15k fans or 6/7k fans, at a purpose buit stadium or at a converted athletics stadium, where would you go?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Controversy alert...Coppell left us when we were top on the old Second.

We scraped into the playoffs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"bugger all" maybe. But relatively how much compared to other clubs?

I am curious, that's all.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Don't forget Booker had 4 games in charge and we lost 3. McGhee took over when we were about 3rd or 4th with 8 wins and 5 defeats.

Tubthumper said:
Finances: given the Coca-cola money our player budget must be as good if not better than a number of other clubs?

I really don't think it is you know :)

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I dont think anyone on here actually knows:

Rumours and heresay=

carole - Free GREAT PLAYER
Fructos = free STILL WAITING TO SEE - Invisible on saturday
Turenzio - £150k paid to his agent for his contract _ YORKIE SAYS HE IS CRAP !!!
Henderson - loan goes back in three weeks
Blayney - Loan goes back at end of Nov
Dodds - free _ INJURED PLAYER AGAIN
French Goalie - two year loan deal _ YORKIE SAYS HE IS CRAP ALSO

In Harding £500k + appearances
Virgo £1.5million ( Best bit of business since we sold Cullip for money Mcghee is a geniuos following this hilarious transaction)

Last edited:

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
Circumstances are financial constraints.

We get gates of no more than 7k.

Our debts are higher than we know or have been told.

We can't attract big name because a) we play in an athletics stadium and b) we can't offer an attractive salary/benefits package while our future is uncertain.

That's why we are where we are, and McGhee has done a fantastic job to keep us afloat.

All is not lost, people were looking to slit their wrist after the Shrewsbury game, but we've battled on since then and i believe we have some good exciting young players in the squad.

Probably short of a quality centre midfielder and a centre back.

But how many other teams would also say that? There isn't much quality about for the salary that we could offer.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
tadley gull said:
Circumstances are financial constraints.

We get gates of no more than 7k.

Our debts are higher than we know or have been told.

We can't attract big name because a) we play in an athletics stadium and b) we can't offer an attractive salary/benefits package while our future is uncertain.

That's why we are where we are, and McGhee has done a fantastic job to keep us afloat.

All is not lost, people were looking to slit their wrist after the Shrewsbury game, but we've battled on since then and i believe we have some good exciting young players in the squad.

Probably short of a quality centre midfielder and a centre back.

But how many other teams would also say that? There isn't much quality about for the salary that we could offer.
Personally, I don't think he's doing a "fantastic job". Afterall, we're out of the league cup after losing to a division FOUR team, and we're bottom of the league. But equally, he is a long way from being unacceptable, given the lack of resources.

Somewhere between the two, methinks. :)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
dave the gaffer said:
I dont think anyone on here actually knows:

Rumours and heresay=

carole - Free GREAT PLAYER
Fructos = free STILL WAITING TO SEE - Invisible on saturday
Turenzio - £150k paid to his agent for his contract _ YORKIE SAYS HE IS CRAP !!!
Henderson - loan goes back in three weeks
Blayney - Loan goes back at end of Nov
Dodds - free _ INJURED PLAYER AGAIN
French Goalie - two year loan deal _ YORKIE SAYS HE IS CRAP ALSO

In Harding £500k + appearances
Virgo £1.5million ( Best bit of business since we sold Cullip for money Mcghee is a geniuos following this hilarious transaction)

I am pretty sure the Argus said we paid Monaco an undisclosed amount for Carole.

Uncle Buck said:
I am pretty sure the Argus said we paid Monaco an undisclosed amount for Carole.

They did originally and then changed their minds to free transfer.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
'Seriously in credit'?

Don't get me wrong, I think he's done okay and think anyone would struggle to keep us in this league but you can't get 'in credit' in this game. If ti's clear someone is doing a bad job you can't live on past glories and keep him on?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Let's clear one thing up. I have a few questions but I am not criticising anyone. I am simply curious as to the extent of the 'circumstances' which people feel are impeeding our progress, and more importantly how these are relative to other clubs. But, as I said, at this moment in time I do feel we should be doing better bottom placed.

My understanding is that we have paid cash for CKR, Carole and that tall Argentinian fella.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
'circumstances' -l ack of regular income from the size of crowd we could otherwise attract. Coca Cola , a one off payment.

Last edited:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Who besides Ernest has said MM out on NSC ?
He has shown loyalty to us and I would think nearly all Albion fans appreciate this and want him to stay at the club for many seasons.
A number of posts have criticised some of his decisions. Is it such a bad thing to question why we have changed our style of playing? Last season we competed physically in this division. This season we have been lightweight and have given away some soft goals.
The point is that for the last two seasons MM did a fantastic job. Why has he been so eager to rid the team of its physical solidity this season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here