Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Barker

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Didn't Steve Foster play up front on a number of occasions?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
George Barker will become an awesome player for Albion one day !!
I wouldn't judge the lad until he had at least one whole regular season in the first team playing in at least 3/4 of the matches for a half or more !!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
BG sometimes you get some undeserved stick, but why would you try and undermine a youngster trying to make his way in the game.

I suspect you had an earlier opinion on Barker that his inclusion has proven you wrong and it has rankled you.

At least go and watch the DS or Youth team before you gain a negative view on any potential kid.

Remember your favourite current player was probably afforded time and support above and beyond you seem to be offering Barker.

As an aside Huw Jennings a respected National Youth Coach that has a long and distinguished CV outlined an interesting stat that you might want to examine:

This summer, Jennings made his farewell speech to the clubs' owners and chief executives, imploring them to give academy youngsters more opportunities. In Europe, he says, players make first-team debuts at 21-22; here they are thrown into Carling Cup games or substitute appearances at an average of 18 years and four months, and judged critically on those performances. "Players are not afforded the chance to mature," he argues. "Reform is desperately needed for the 18-21 age group."

It deserves some thought ......

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
BG sometimes you get some undeserved stick, but why would you try and undermine a youngster trying to make his way in the game.

I suspect you had an earlier opinion on Barker that his inclusion has proven you wrong and it has rankled you.

At least go and watch the DS or Youth team before you gain a negative view on any potential kid.

Remember your favourite current player was probably afforded time and support above and beyond you seem to be offering Barker.

As an aside Huw Jennings a respected National Youth Coach that has a long and distinguished CV outlined an interesting stat that you might want to examine:

This summer, Jennings made his farewell speech to the clubs' owners and chief executives, imploring them to give academy youngsters more opportunities. In Europe, he says, players make first-team debuts at 21-22; here they are thrown into Carling Cup games or substitute appearances at an average of 18 years and four months, and judged critically on those performances. "Players are not afforded the chance to mature," he argues. "Reform is desperately needed for the 18-21 age group."

It deserves some thought ......

Definitely. Strong physical and mental changes occur right up to the ages of 24/25. Fine, some young players - particularly those with significant physical attributes such as extreme strength/pace - will come through at young ages and be okay, but the majority need much more time to develop. I worry about the future of some of the youngsters in the sport at the moment. I'm so glad that Brighton are attempting to bridge that gap with the development squad, and hope that over the next few years that long term plan comes to fruition..

D

Deleted member 22389

Nothing like zapping the blokes confidence, bloody hell. George if you unfortunately read this thread, most or if not all on NSC say well done. Keep up the good work.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He's a kid and it shows how desperately short up front we are to ask a youth team player to come on and make an impact against a very good side. Leave him alone.

He's the same age as Ashley Barnes and older than KLL (I think) when they both played first team football for us regularly.

Either way did what he could well yesterday. Can't imagine much between him and Dickinson

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He's the same age as Ashley Barnes and older than KLL (I think) when they both played first team football for us regularly.

Either way did what he could well yesterday. Can't imagine much between him and Dickinson

I have watched him both in the youth team a couple of years ago and more recently in the DS.

For me he was the best player on show, good feet and an eye for goal.

I too had thought he may have missed the boat regarding BHA, but is pleasing to see that he seems to be easing into the first team squad

Hoping he succeeds.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When will people realize that we were desperate for at least a point and didn't look like getting one and possibly wouldn't have other than a piece of magic from KLL and as such the suggestion was made with that in mind, not to detract from what George Barker did, but to suggest that an option, a better one in my mind, would have been to send El Abd on to ruffle their defenders up Nobody is saying it is a long term serious suggestion just one to meet the needs on that particular occasion. I cannot understand why I am getting so much stick well I can simply because many of NSC are so far up their own arse that they think that they know everything about football and everybody else with a view or an idea is wrong.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
When will people realize that we were desperate for at least a point and didn't look like getting one and possibly wouldn't have other than a piece of magic from KLL and as such the suggestion was made with that in mind, not to detract from what George Barker did, but to suggest that an option, a better one in my mind, would have been to send El Abd on to ruffle their defenders up Nobody is saying it is a long term serious suggestion just one to meet the needs on that particular occasion. I cannot understand why I am getting so much stick well I can simply because many of NSC are so far up their own arse that they think that they know everything about football and everybody else with a view or an idea is wrong.

You are getting stick because the suggestion is 3 foot wide of complete barking. What history has El Abd of scoring at least Barker has a history even though DS, Dickinson I believe is still injured playing Buckley or Vicente up front did not really work there are no other alternatives accept it and support the lad it's all we have for now.

*bloody spelling correction on Tapatalk*

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Gus obviously believes he is good enough to send him on, so that is what counts. Looked very lightweight when I saw him play in the Sussex Senior Cup final against Eastbourne at the Amex, that was the only thing against him, but did well yesterday, just wish he hadn't been stuck out on the right hand side.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
wrong time to throw him in. At this stage of the season we need a Phillips, Wood, Beckford, etc type of striker to come on as sub.....not an untried kid.

type of striker.....kid.. (21 is a kid??)

You did badly there, not sure you're ever going to be ready for quality opinions on nsc.
Better sit it out for a year or two.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

Yes he did. I still think to throw him on in such a big game yesterday is asking a lot of someone who's barely played any football at this level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here