Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Barker

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
No I am somebody who has probably achieved more and forgotten more about football and tactics than most who post on here will ever know. This not aimed at all but if the cap fits wear it

If the coaching qualification sits in a frame in your place, respect.
If not, please stop talking out of your backside.

Oh and either way, Gus Poyet's assessments trump yours and mine all day - plus he sees the Barker fellow in training and in matches.

Not to suggest you aren't entitled to opinion, but raising your perch is begging for some shit in your millet, mate!

Last edited:

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
If you were hoping to see a centre back come on upfront instead of a striker before the sub was made, then you had already decided you didn't want to see Barker come on.

Whilst I can understand the idea of being strong and physical with the Leicester defenders, surely Barker would and did offer more, as a striker in terms of positional awareness, watching the offside trap and if he got the chance to shoot, surely Barker would have a better chance of scoring?

What would it say for our development squad if when we have a real striker shortage through injury and suspension, we turn to our defenders, rather than DS strikers?

Just my opinion...

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I just cannot believe the futile debate on here about this topic.

The fact of the matter is that it is no time to be playing someone like Barker, or playing someone else out of position. We needed a real, experienced striker in the loan window, but failed to get one, despite promises that we would get the best available.

Poyet is bleeting on in the press about this year being our only chance, Fair Play, Parachute payments, two leagues, bla bla bla. Why didn't he think of that two weeks ago?

We have five tough games, and only one striker (and Barnes back in a couple of games). It may be our only chance, but we have made it very tough for ourselves by dropping six points in the last three games, and failing to bet any striker as back up, let alone "pushing the boat out" for a good one.

George Barker has no chance poor lad, as the expectations are so high.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
No I am somebody who has probably achieved more and forgotten more about football and tactics than most who post on here will ever know. This not aimed at all but if the cap fits wear it

And yet your opinions are utter crap. Look you seem a nice old duffer but tbh with any Albion issue it's a safe bet to assume that the truth lies somewhere close to the exact opposite of whatever it is you've posted on the matter.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The fact of the matter is that it is no time to be playing someone like Barker, or playing someone else out of position. We needed a real, experienced striker in the loan window, but failed to get one, despite promises that we would get the best available.

Poyet is bleeting on in the press about this year being our only chance, Fair Play, Parachute payments, two leagues, bla bla bla. Why didn't he think of that two weeks ago?

We have five tough games, and only one striker (and Barnes back in a couple of games). It may be our only chance, but we have made it very tough for ourselves by dropping six points in the last three games, and failing to bet any striker as back up, let alone "pushing the boat out" for a good one.

It is not Poyets fault if clubs pulled the plug. Jackson deal was on, but since they have been faltering in the last few weeks, decided to keep all the fire power they had.

Which strikers moved in the loan window that we should have got, just out of interest?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

I don't think he wasn't thinking about it do you?

But the thing I would really like to know is who could we actually have got - who, if anyone, agreed but was turned down? I understand the problem with teams not wanting to let anyone go at this stage of the season - and that must have ruled out a huge number of players. But there must have been SOMEONE who we could have got from this division or lower prem. Perhaps he thought Simeon Jackson was nailed on so didn't bother chasing any more, or maybe he's telling the truth and it was impossible to coax anyone of a decent enough quality away from their club.

I reckon Barndoor Billy would have loved a second spell down here.....

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

I recall Gus saying he wanted to bring in another striker but when did he PROMISE one? He didn't, but don't let the facts get in the way of another tedious rant.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I recall Gus saying he wanted to bring in another striker but when did he PROMISE one? He didn't, but don't let the facts get in the way of another tedious rant.

He said he would get the best one available. There was no doubt in his statement. But don't let that put you off the taste of licking his arse.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It is not Poyets fault if clubs pulled the plug. Jackson deal was on, but since they have been faltering in the last few weeks, decided to keep all the fire power they had.

Which strikers moved in the loan window that we should have got, just out of interest?

We needed two, and what has those that moved got to do with anything? We had players available, but they were not taken... .... .... ....

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
How the hell has a thread about playing El Abd as a striker got to 7 pages?

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
This is the thing which bugs me about about development squads and youth players, very few, if any will ever progress to the Albion first team. Even at 21 (which is almost middle age for a striker nowdays) Barker will probably not now get beyond div 2 level, so really he's much better off playing for a side at that level in the first team, scoring goals if he can, than pissing about in our development squad v Colchester reserves or whatever in a nothing game.
If we want him contracted to us then maybe we pay most of his wages at whatever club he plays for but at 21 he MUST be playing regular first team football not getting 30 mins once a season for us, if he is ever ready at championship level we call him back but he neither gets decent professional football experience, or to be seen by any potential buyers for lower league sides in these stupid development squad games, if I was him I'd be looking elsewhere as Gus will never trust a dev player with more than a few minutes a season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here