Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Barker

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I wanted somebody to come on and support Ulloa ,who was winning nothing against Morgan, hence my suggestion, somewhat unusual but to have put El Abd on up front to try to unsettle the Leicester central defenders and give Ulloa a chance

I felt the same way, go 4-4-2 and give it a smack. Barker is the kind of guy to play off a striker like Ulloa, I think we needed a change of shape today and Barker should have been the perfect solution.

Pity Buckley got injured so early and changed everything. Selfish Google!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He seemed keen to attack any Ulloa flick ons, of which there weren't any.
Maybe there is room for CMS, too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ahh poor old BG he will be asleep in his chair soon! He does make me chuckle!

Did people say the same when Mark McGhee first did it with Adam Virgo and many top managers have done the same when desperate and needing a goal.

The most obvious recent example of players playing either up front or as a central defender is Dion Dublin and if my memory serves me well Blackburn did it quite often with Colin Hendry

Last edited:

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I wanted somebody to come on and support Ulloa ,who was winning nothing against Morgan, hence my suggestion, somewhat unusual but to have put El Abd on up front to try to unsettle the Leicester central defenders and give Ulloa a chance

If Poyet had put El Abd upfront he would have been slaughtered on here. Are you thinking that we should have lumped the ball forward to El Abd or used his blistering pace to play the ball behind the Leicester defence? I think the game has moved on from throwing a lumbering centre half up front!

Oct 25, 2003
Did people say the same when Mark McGhee first did it with Adam Virgo and many top managers have done the same when desperate and needing a goal.

Name seven TOP MANAGERS who have done this to good effect

Virgo was in a team that avoided relegation on the final day of the season...not pushing for play offs

As said above, gus would've been SLAUGHTERED on here...quite rightly

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If Poyet had put El Abd upfront he would have been slaughtered on here. Are you thinking that we should have lumped the ball forward to El Abd or used his blistering pace to play the ball behind the Leicester defence? I think the game has moved on from throwing a lumbering centre half up front!

You should tell 'Arry Redknapp and Chris Samba that...

Personally, I thought he did pretty well when he came on. Bearing in mind he came into a team where Ulloa, Lopez, Orlandi and Greer where having nightmarish performances. Maybe he'd have done a little better had the team not played wretchedly for most of the match? I hardly think it's fair to judge him on this performance alone but if you (BG) must then fine: He did ok. A 6/10 performance. Not stellar but promising and something to build on.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

The most obvious recent example of players playing either up front or as a central defender is Dion Dublin and if my memory serves me well Blackburn did it quite often with Colin Hendry

That was yen years ago!! Football has changed! Besides, Virgo was 6ft+ in height... El-Abd is hardly the "big unit" needed if you were to revert to 80's tactics.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
El And up front would have been worth twice the entrance fee alone. It's an interesting suggestion but something a foreign manager would allow.

Too Dads Army.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well all you knowledgeable experts who know and understand so much about football please tell me how we could have overcome Morgan winning every ball that was pumped forward for Ulloa taking into account we were losing and didn't look like breaking down their defence and a defeat would have put us out of the play offs and probably out of the race.

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
People have been shouting for Gus to bring him on and give him a chance, which he did today, but after 30 seconds of chasing a player did he touch the ball again.

Leicester looked like they wanted to win the game we did not,even Ulloa had a bad game it happens

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well all you knowledgable experts who know and understand so much about football please tell me how we could have overcome Morgan winning every ball that was pumped forward for Ulloa

Get him sent off. Maybe with someone winding him up to lash out. Shame we don't have a windup merchant. Hold on..!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That was yen years ago!! Football has changed! Besides, Virgo was 6ft+ in height... El-Abd is hardly the "big unit" needed if you were to revert to 80's tactics.

When has El Abds height stopped him against much bigger strikers when defending and which of our central defenders, Greer Upson El Abd and Dunk has scored this season.

Oct 25, 2003
How about Ankergren up front? Goalkeepers have scored goals
before so it'll definitely work

Certainly a better idea than playing an ACTUAL STRIKER there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here