Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Generally Well regarded films that you thought were rubbish

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Prometheus - I Was really looking forward to this as Alien is one of my all time favourite films. Never been so disappointed in a film, badly cast, acted and boring, hang your head in shame Ridley.

Avatar - Shouldn't have believed all the hype, complete waste of time, reminded me of an adult version of the Smurfs.

The Hangover 2 - The Hangover was funny, this wasn't.

Lord of the rings (all of them) - More fun watching paint dry, basically a bunch of dwarfs running about over some hills having a fight every now and then.

Star Wars (Attack of the Clones) - I loved the original Star Wars trilogy, but this was just boring.

Moulin Rouge - Oh dear, where do I begin with this? :nono::nono::nono::nono:

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Devil's Advocate
Twilight 2
Blair witch
When Harry met Sally

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
the regard that the shawshank redemption is held in i find baffling. ooh f***ing hell the shawshank redemption, amazing film. nah its very well done but its not the masterpiece people would have you believe. its laid on pretty f***ing thick.

also its rubbish because

1) its never actually cleared up that he didnt kill his his wife, so you are effectively rooting for a convicted woman killer
2) anyway he should be in jail for the fraud, and whats more he is a grass as he bubbles up all the guards
3) tim robbins gets right on my nerves

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
A Hard Day's Night.

Often regarded as fantastic British film and always highly praised. I found it boring and without really having a plot. And I know I wasn't around in the 1960's, but it is still highly praised today. But it does have Paul's grandfather in...

its just spiceworld in black and white

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ironically, I'm using this thread to a compile a 'films to watch' list.

That's a great idea based on 90% of the dumb fucks posting on here. People not rating the first two godfather films need to stop watching films and keep watching the Cagney & Lacey box set.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
The Blair Witch Project
All The Matrix Films (yes some good action sequences and new technology in filmmaking but utterly boring and uninteresting)

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

I Heart Huckebees

Lost In Translation (can't stand Sofia Coppola...she is overrated in general and she's also the worst 'actor' on the planet)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
That's a great idea based on 90% of the dumb fucks posting on here. People not rating the first two godfather films need to stop watching films and keep watching the Cagney & Lacey box set.

Who nominated you as Barry Norman? I love my films and consider myself a discerning film buff, but for me (my opinion) The Godfather is as dull as a 0-0 Port Vale reserves v MK Dons reserves fixture.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I also think Shawshank Redemption is ludicrously over-rated. My biggest problem with it is the way it lays on clankingly-obvious metaphors with a trowel - insulting to the intelligence. Same goes for Seven (which by the way stole the premise for its final scene from the far superior film Barton Fink) and the Usual Suspects. Any film who's main selling point is is it's "cleverness" has begun patronising the audience from the start.

Anyone who doesn't like Blade Runner (especially the one with the proper ending) is talking out of their android arse though.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Another vote for Shawank Redemption - does not deserve the hype surrounding it at all - formulaic prison break romp that is an okay film but nothing more.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Shawshank is a good film but not a masterpiece. But have to take issue with [MENTION=12211]The Spanish[/MENTION], it is implied that Robbins did NOT kill his wife when that prisoner comes in who had heard from a villain elsewhere that the murder was not by Robbins.

Same thing for Schindler's list. Good, but really not a masterpiece at all. I can't understand people saying The Godfather is not the real deal though - I thought they were all superb (including the third one).

And Top Gun was shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here