Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Generally Well regarded films that you thought were rubbish

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Schindlers's Yawnfest. God, I've never watched such a boring film

I can see the way this thread is starting to go now.

I am sorry the holocaust was such a boring watch for you.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Moneyball.

I heard good things about this film but it was a turgid, boring mess.

Verdict - Horseshit.

Shame, I thought it was one of the best filmsI had seen this year. Even though I can't stand baseball. Excellently acted, surprisingly riveting story and a joy to watch.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think Brad Pitt is a very good actor but the film was slow and boring. The team of no hopers went on a record breaking 20 match winning streak for no apparent reason, apart from some bunkum about stats over talent, but the problem was by the time it happened I did not care anymore. Turd.

Well the reason was that he figured out an entirely new way of recruiting players. THe bunkumk you speak of is a true story.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No offense but I can see the thread turning into silliness now so I will let you carry on.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well the reason was that he figured out an entirely new way of recruiting players. THe bunkumk you speak of is a true story.

True but boring.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Not just saying this anti US but hated Inception. Thought The MAtrix was obvious tosh. Can't see why it was hailed as some kind of genius concept at all. I was not a fan of Blade Runner either. Sci Fi films are generally overrated anyway and really not my thing at all.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Shawshank is a good film but not a masterpiece. But have to take issue with [MENTION=12211]The Spanish[/MENTION], it is implied that Robbins did NOT kill his wife when that prisoner comes in who had heard from a villain elsewhere that the murder was not by Robbins.

Same thing for Schindler's list. Good, but really not a masterpiece at all. I can't understand people saying The Godfather is not the real deal though - I thought they were all superb (including the third one).

And Top Gun was shit.

yeah i know that, thats why i said was its not made clear he didnt. i know its implied but its only a jailcell confession and its never resolved. i still think he dunnit.

it will all be sorted out in shawshank II anyway I cant wait

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Expectations hyped to the max before seeing it, then it just didn't hold my interest enough for me to want to try to keep up with the unnecessarily overcomplicated plot. Just found it dull.

Bazzza67

Feb 6, 2011
Brighton, UK
Withnail and I is apparently a cult classic, but I have have always failed to see it...

All about personal preference, some films mentioned by previous poster's would be in my top 50 list..

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Another vote for Shawank Redemption - does not deserve the hype surrounding it at all - formulaic prison break romp that is an okay film but nothing more.

this is good everyones starting to 'come out' now. we can have the whole country calling it shit by tea time if we put our minds to it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I had heard so much hype about Avatar and relented and watched it. Within the first 10 mins I resolved never to take an opinion of anyone who raved about this utter, childish, ill-conceived, bollocks again. A weak story, bad acting with a lot of money thrown at it. I was shocked at how bad a film coulod be and still be considered excellent film making.

And Shawshank is hugely overrated. It is an engaging watch but forgettable and tugs on too many heart strings for me to take it seriously.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
this is good everyones starting to 'come out' now.

Hardly! There are about 10,000 film threads on NSC with me saying the Shawshite Redemption is a load of over-hyped bollards, along with Incepshite (boring as fug), The BoreFather I, II and III and many other films that are sacred and aren't allowed to be dissed on here by the resident Barry Normans. Agree with everything in Nibble's two posts above btw.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Ooo ooo forgot to add to mine the following Masterpiece Of The Overrated:

James Cameron's stinkfest Titanic.

The only thing titanic about this overblown mess was the size of its stench!

One or two set pieces aside it was without ANY merit whatsoever.

Weekly acted, miscast leads (Kate could have flattened that boy during their naughties!) appalling CGI long shots of the ship, hilariously unnecessary subplot involving Billy Zane running around pointlessly with a gun (FFS!), stinkingly cheesey song, acutely embarrassing closing sequence in which the characters assemble posthumously to applaud...APPLAUD! the arrival in 'heaven' o the leads characters and the only shots of merit throughout the film are lifted DIRECTLY from A Night To Remember.

Shocking stinkfest of a film and shows again Cameron's commonly-shared lack (with Goerge "Moneymad" Lucas) of emotional maturity or ability to design characters.

Would go in my Room 101 with soap operas!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here