NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Birthday rose bush in bloom.

1719051215342.png

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There was talk on this thread earlier about Fujifilm camera and the dials to set settings. I am using a Canon ES3000 beginner's camera (cos I am one :)) and I find the changing of settings irritating. The Fujifilm dials sound like a bit of me. Any recommendations of what I should be looking at, or is it just a case of get what i can afford when I get one?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There was talk on this thread earlier about Fujifilm camera and the dials to set settings. I am using a Canon ES3000 beginner's camera (cos I am one :)) and I find the changing of settings irritating. The Fujifilm dials sound like a bit of me. Any recommendations of what I should be looking at, or is it just a case of get what i can afford when I get one?
If your camera is like the entry level Fuji's it may contain options for different types of shot. Landscape, nighttime, sports etc. In those settings the camera maximizes performance to what it perceives the shot needs in that kind of situation, ie in darker situations sends ISO very high and exposure length on the long side. In sports it will prioritize shutter speed to avoid blur. There may be aperture priority in which you can adjust the lens in order to achieve high or low depth of field for instance or shutter priority etc. I prefer to work with manual or just simply a program mode that covers everything if I'm feeling lazy.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If your camera is like the entry level Fuji's it may contain options for different types of shot. Landscape, nighttime, sports etc. In those settings the camera maximizes performance to what it perceives the shot needs in that kind of situation, ie in darker situations sends ISO very high and exposure length on the long side. In sports it will prioritize shutter speed to avoid blur. There may be aperture priority in which you can adjust the lens in order to achieve high or low depth of field for instance or shutter priority etc. I prefer to work with manual or just simply a program mode that covers everything if I'm feeling lazy.
Yes mine certainly does all that but I am trying to figure out the manual settings as best I can. I find the auto settings good to get a ball park if I am stuck.

Its more about how you change the settings that bugs me, it just doesn't feel user friendly to me. Possibly because it is a little old, possibly I need to get used to it for longer.

As much as I like my camera I feel like it won't be my last 😂.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes mine certainly does all that but I am trying to figure out the manual settings as best I can. I find the auto settings good to get a ball park if I am stuck.

Its more about how you change the settings that bugs me, it just doesn't feel user friendly to me. Possibly because it is a little old, possibly I need to get used to it for longer.

As much as I like my camera I feel like it won't be my last 😂.
I tend to either use auto or full manual depending on the conditions, what I am photographing and how much time i have.

If you use full manual then you need to understand the relationship between shutter speed, ISO and aperture. Sounds complicated but you soon get used to it and if your camera has a histogram option then it will guide you about exposure as will the light meter indicating a '+' or '-' value to show exposure level. You could of course just take a picture , see if its too light or dark and then adjust accordingly.

Regards cameras, I went through quite a few each has its strengths and weaknesses. It also depends on how much you want to spend. My cameras have been relatively low budget - up to £500 and have been full frame, mirrorless and DSLR , all but 3 Pentax ones have been second hand.

If i were taking lizards , i use auto as I probably have one chance before subject moves . I have taken pictures of fox cubs in low light, fully manual as I know auto setting uses too high ISOs. In this case I was able to experiment before hand as i knew they would turn up, so took test pictures first. In this case it was biggest aperture, lowest ISO level BUT it was higher than I would normally like and quickest aperture which was a compromise to gather enough light but not have any/too much blurred movement.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That Canon is a bit like my Sony A6600 in that it only has one dial for changing settings, instead of two like many (and Sony have fettled that with the A6700). And therefore altering the ISO / Aperture / Speed in manual is always going to be a bit more of a fiddle I'm afraid.

But the trick is to not go from Auto to Full Manual direct, but in stages. I leave my camera in Aperture Priority most of the time (Av for Canon I think) - with a fixed ISO (usually 200) - leaving the ISO to do what it wants. That covers most normal walk-about stuff. Then gradually learn all the other bits and bobs as you go along.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes. Me too. Love the detail. I appreciate the smaller things. It takes a host of smaller things to make up the complete picture around us. Obvious I realize, but it's incredible to me at any rate, how many people do not properly look around them. I like the crocosmia best, the isolation of the flower with a dark to black background. Works beautifully with leaves or other flowers if combined with lovely strong bokeh.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
It's was a real moody day down a Heathrow a few weeks back, but when the sun and clouds play ball you can get some amazing images. Here's one of my favourites from a couple of hours by 27L. Finnair's A350-900 OH-LWS

DSC_0689s.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here