Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Another one! You can see what I'm up to on my holiday....

1719699518410.png

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
Amazing!! Is that at the petrel station, Kaikoura or somewhere else? I'm very jealous!
Otago Canyons out of Dunedin (Port Chalmers). Oscar Thomas organises them and they run semi regularly. Lesser known than the Petrel Station and Kaikoura as they typically get advertised off the Birds Otago facebook page and fill fast, but there is a very good diversity of species.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Otago Canyons out of Dunedin (Port Chalmers). Oscar Thomas organises them and they run semi regularly. Lesser known than the Petrel Station and Kaikoura as they typically get advertised off the Birds Otago facebook page and fill fast, but there is a very good diversity of species.
Thanks. My son is currently travelling around New Zealand photographing wildlife - I will let him know as I am sure he would like to do this!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Are these with your new macro extension tubes? You've picked it up pretty quickly!
I think you mixed me up with someone else, can't remember without looking back at the thread. I have been taking macro shots for the last few years with both tubes and dedicated lenses. This was a Pentax 100mm F4 macro.

Edit: It was @BadFish who had new tubes!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think you mixed me up with someone else, can't remember without looking back at the thread. I have been taking macro shots for the last few years with both tubes and dedicated lenses. This was a Pentax 100mm F4 macro.

Edit: It was @BadFish who had new tubes!
Probably its only me and you that use Pentax. I have a battered K70 , use an 18-300mm Sigma on it with reasonable results, also use 105mm sigma macro. Have a few older lenses (used to have loads of either a or m series and even some m42s). Its heavy though so more often use an olympus OMD-em10 which is less than half weight and i have the 100-300mm lens for it. Neither is fast to focus and my pentax at times refuses to focus....

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Probably its only me and you that use Pentax. I have a battered K70 , use an 18-300mm Sigma on it with reasonable results, also use 105mm sigma macro. Have a few older lenses (used to have loads of either a or m series and even some m42s). Its heavy though so more often use an olympus OMD-em10 which is less than half weight and i have the 100-300mm lens for it. Neither is fast to focus and my pentax at times refuses to focus....
I have a Pentax K5 which is 6 years older than your Pentax. Bought it second hand for my birthday this winter. I already had a few m series lenses which I used with an adapter with my 2 Fuji cameras, I added a few more including the macro. I bought the Pentax body from a feeling of sheer nostalgia. My favourite camera was my second, which I bought with birthday money on my 16th birthday, a Pentax ME Super. How I loved that camera! My smaller Fuji reminds me of that as it has very similar form and size. The K5 is heavy but has in body stabilization which is tremendously helpful. Although the sensor has less resolution than my newest Fuji, I love the vintage macro on it. It also takes beautiful pictures! Oh and I have no modern lenses for it so I can't comment on auto focus etc as the only auto feature I'm using is aperture priority.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Just after some advice please.

I have a Canon EOS550D with it's standard issue lens. In my retirement I'd like to take more wildlife and scenery photos as well as take some reasonably close up photo at my local football club. Can anyone recommend the lens (lenses) that would help with this please? I'm not looking to win prizes just want good photos, thanks in advance, Tim

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

I have a Canon EOS550D with it's standard issue lens. In my retirement I'd like to take more wildlife and scenery photos as well as take some reasonably close up photo at my local football club. Can anyone recommend the lens (lenses) that would help with this please? I'm not looking to win prizes just want good photos, thanks in advance, Tim
For wildlife and football I would recommend the Canon 100-400mm mark 2. For Scenery I use the 24-105mm F4 canon lens but there may well be better as I do not do much scenery.

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015

There's a large range of really good used Canon EF and EF-S lenses on the market these days. Some that I have (or have had) that may meet your needs are (prices for ‘very good’ or ‘excellent’ condition, with 6 months’ warranty):

EF-S 10-18mm f4-5.6 IS, light, versatile. £125.

EF-S 24mm F2.8 pancake, small and light. £120.

EF 40mm F2.8 pancake - small, light, also does macro. £125.

EF-S 60mm F2.8 is a fantastic lens for macro and portrait. £400.

EF 70-300L F4-5.6 IS for football. It's heavy, but super quality. £500. I doubt if this is as good quality as the 100-400 Kneon mentions, but that will be reflected in the price. Plus the 100-400 has a longer reach of course, so better for wildlife.

The 10-18 and 24 are still made, so you can get new ones if you prefer. I go for used because if I find it's not right for me, I can trade it back in and not lose too much.

If you want to dip your toe in the water, you might want to go for the 10-18mm and 40mm. That would provide a good range and a way to see the difference between them and your kit lens. I find the EF-S 60mm better quality than the EF 40mm, but it's not £400 versus £125 better!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Has anyone got experience of both Canon and Nikon in the 750D/D7200 type range so can recommend one? . I am looking to improve my wildlife images by getting better autofocus. Nikon D500 would be my choice but well out of my price range.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
For wildlife and football I would recommend the Canon 100-400mm mark 2. For Scenery I use the 24-105mm F4 canon lens but there may well be better as I do not do much scenery.
Thank you

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There's a large range of really good used Canon EF and EF-S lenses on the market these days. Some that I have (or have had) that may meet your needs are (prices for ‘very good’ or ‘excellent’ condition, with 6 months’ warranty):

EF 70-300L F4-5.6 IS for football. It's heavy, but super quality. £500. I doubt if this is as good quality as the 100-400 Kneon mentions, but that will be reflected in the price. Plus the 100-400 has a longer reach of course, so better for wildlife.

The 10-18 and 24 are still made, so you can get new ones if you prefer. I go for used because if I find it's not right for me, I can trade it back in and not lose too much.

If you want to dip your toe in the water, you might want to go for the 10-18mm and 40mm. That would provide a good range and a way to see the difference between them and your kit lens. I find the EF-S 60mm better quality than the EF 40mm, but it's not £400 versus £125 better!
Thank you

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Where do you buy your used lenses from, where's the best place for me to look for them please?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here