Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've used MPB and Wex which I've had great service from. Also I've used a few smaller independent shops, look for reviews and you'll see if they are honest about the state of their lenses. I've had no problems with these either and sometimes they underprice a lens compared to the bigger sellers or eBay.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I buy a lot of stuff from ebay (and I mean a lot of stuff) and had only one bad lens Didn't find out till a bit later when I gave it a thorough test but sold it on at a good price as guy wanted to take it part anyway.....If you don't want to buy from ebay I would still give it a look to check prices ranges and yes it is not always the cheapest.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
For wildlife and football I would recommend the Canon 100-400mm mark 2. For Scenery I use the 24-105mm F4 canon lens but there may well be better as I do not do much scenery.

I have the equivalent for my nikon set-up, though the Nikon lens is 80-400mm. It's a fantastic lens for plane spotting and fast moving subjects, such as wildlife and sports.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Has anyone got experience of both Canon and Nikon in the 750D/D7200 type range so can recommend one? . I am looking to improve my wildlife images by getting better autofocus. Nikon D500 would be my choice but well out of my price range.

I bought a second hand D750 from WEX a few years back now and really enjoy using it. I didn't go for the higher 800/850, as the improvements were more on the video side of things. It's taken my planespotting photography to a much higher level, but I also invested in a really decent lens, the 80-400mm, which has helped loads. The 51 point focus system also helps me with fast moving objects, can set it up to track the nose of the plane, which 50% of the time would be blurry on my on nikon d3100, so shots are much crisper.

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015
Where do you buy your used lenses from, where's the best place for me to look for them please?
I tend to buy most of my used gear from London Camera Exchange (reasonable prices and easy to deal with) but I’m happy to buy from any authorised Canon dealer with a high street presence. I’d also be happy to buy from MBP, who I understand have a very good reputation. I find the Camera Price Buster site useful – as well as links to trusted suppliers, it includes lists of discontinued lenses along with current offerings and prices. The price history of new products is also helpful as it sometimes reveals that you can beat used prices with an offer on a new product.

Camera Price Buster - Compare UK Stock Prices

I failed to mention another good option in my opinion . . . EF 16-35 F4L IS. A bit bulky, but superb quality. RRP is about £1400, but I bought a used one in ‘as new’ condition for £500.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I bought a second hand D750 from WEX a few years back now and really enjoy using it. I didn't go for the higher 800/850, as the improvements were more on the video side of things. It's taken my planespotting photography to a much higher level, but I also invested in a really decent lens, the 80-400mm, which has helped loads. The 51 point focus system also helps me with fast moving objects, can set it up to track the nose of the plane, which 50% of the time would be blurry on my on nikon d3100, so shots are much crisper.
Thanks for that, the D750 is a full frame which has its benefits but with wildlife the APSC sensor in the D7500 gives more focal length due to the crop factor e.g. your 80-400 becomes 120-600. As a FF camera also a bit more expensive.

What is good to hear is the actual user experience of noticeable improvement ...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I tend to buy most of my used gear from London Camera Exchange (reasonable prices and easy to deal with) but I’m happy to buy from any authorised Canon dealer with a high street presence. I’d also be happy to buy from MBP, who I understand have a very good reputation. I find the Camera Price Buster site useful – as well as links to trusted suppliers, it includes lists of discontinued lenses along with current offerings and prices. The price history of new products is also helpful as it sometimes reveals that you can beat used prices with an offer on a new product.

Camera Price Buster - Compare UK Stock Prices

I failed to mention another good option in my opinion . . . EF 16-35 F4L IS. A bit bulky, but superb quality. RRP is about £1400, but I bought a used one in ‘as new’ condition for £500.
I have used LCE and thought they were pretty good as well.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for that, the D750 is a full frame which has its benefits but with wildlife the APSC sensor in the D7500 gives more focal length due to the crop factor e.g. your 80-400 becomes 120-600. As a FF camera also a bit more expensive.

What is good to hear is the actual user experience of noticeable improvement ...

As you say it really is what you want to use it for. I've been planespotting semi-seriously for about 12 years and really wanted to take things to a better level, so invested in a full frame camera and decent lens. Actually I think the lens was more expensive than the camera. I found Ken Rockwell's site really helpful when researching upgradingmy equipment, saved me splashing out on a D800 for no reason.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I got one of these second hand, I've no idea what I am talking about but the reviews said it was good Value and it does the job for me.

All the pics I posted today were taken with it.

Thank you, went for this

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Kingsdown (South of Deal) today. Deal pier in the distance on the right.

1720381955277.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
It has been slim picking compared to last year due likely to the unrelenting cool temperatures. I spent a good 10 minutes with this damsel fly this afternoon.

OM-E-M1X with a 60mm macro lens with flash and diffuser.

F8

1/250s

ISO 500
P7070033.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ragnar considers whether he's happy I cut down the plum tree.

1720888577954.png

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It has been slim picking compared to last year due likely to the unrelenting cool temperatures. I spent a good 10 minutes with this damsel fly this afternoon.

OM-E-M1X with a 60mm macro lens with flash and diffuser.

F8

1/250s

ISO 500View attachment 185343
Absolutely fantastic! Well done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here