Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Thomas "comes out"

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Can I say I dont give a shit? about him being gay, comming out, the OP's jokes or the faux outrage in response to them?

Most religions condemn the act if not the individual and some go a lot further this is before you get to where its a capital offence.

So in fact not giving a shit makes me a moderate and middle of the road type rather than a fag hater or fag worshipper.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Which is exactly what I thought when I saw the story. Presumably the Mail were planning one of their snide outings, and offered him the chance to lead on a sympathetic "exclusive" instead.
I think you've got the sun and daily mail confused, never mind , shouldn't let the truth get in the way of a good bit self righteous, right on daily mail bashing.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Can I say I dont give a shit? about him being gay, comming out, the OP's jokes or the faux outrage in response to them?

Most religions condemn the act if not the individual and some go a lot further this is before you get to where its a capital offence.

So in fact not giving a shit makes me a moderate and middle of the road type rather than a fag hater or fag worshipper.

Fag? That is such a vile word.

This lot are doing sterling work in trying to rid football of homophobia.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Fag? That is such a vile word.

This lot are doing sterling work in trying to rid football of homophobia.

Personally i veiw "homophobia" as a vile word.

well if that lot can show any measurable results all well and good, till then its up to clubs to deal with OTT behaviour, or in the wider world to enforce laws.

Unfortunatley with the mass importation of third worlders you can expect "Gay rights" to be the first to disappear from the lefts agenda. It all ready has in a way, leftwing single issue politics is dying and this is just one of its death throws.

but as I said I dont really give a shit, its a very minor issue imo,.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I can't wait till I get to work as our Foreman is a keen Rugby player and calls football 'Fagball' as players fall over so easily and is played by gays.

What was you saying Neil?! Fagball? I'll not be bending over in front of you again, Batty Boy!! :laugh:

HahahahahahHahaha

yeah!!!! Batty boy!!!!

HahahahHahahahahahHA

don't bend over becase your gay!!' I get it!!!

HahahahahhahhahahahahahahahHa

ha

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I've never met a rugby player I didn't think was a bit gay.

I've never met a rugby player who I'd say that to their face.. apart from Neal Vaughan. Who incidentally thinks he's Welsh (nod to Mejona)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think you've got the sun and daily mail confused, never mind , shouldn't let the truth get in the way of a good bit self righteous, right on daily mail bashing.

Clearly you were in a 4 day coma just after Steven Gately's death?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Is anyone else getting adverts for rugbylover.co.uk at the top of this page? :lolol:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Clearly you were in a 4 day coma just after Steven Gately's death?
clearly you have trouble reading, then interpreting posts, I commented that the daily mail doesn't tend to go in for snooping on people then threatening to 'out' them unless they get an exclusive interview, that's the preserve of the red tops,at no point did I mention jan moirs column, you really need to write a memo to yourself, something along the lines of ' don't be in such a hurry to fly my right on credentials, lest I get the wrong end of the stick and make a fool of myself'.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
I've got Brian Clough's autobiography.Maybe if Cloughy had faced up to his own difficulties with alcoholism he might still be alive today instead of being such a bigoted twat.He said signing Justin Fashanu was the biggest mistake of his managerial career.Tragically Fashanu committed suicide in 1998.:(

Very brave of Gareth Thomas to come out.It's going to be a big deal to some people because they're insecure about their own sexuality.

Is the correct answer.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Don't understand the 'brave' bit, but then I guess for those who were unaware of the situation it would seem that way.

The reality is that many many many rugby playing and watching folk knew about Thomas's sexuality, it was not a big deal so nothing was made of it.

He is not alone either and amongst other players there is a certain high profile Irish rugby player who is a well known homosexual. As he does not hide it or publically puts out he is not subjected to any negative or positive press coverage, just like Thomas before his press 'coup'.

If anyone deserves to called brave I would suggest its his wife who he knowingly deceived both before and during his marriage.......................still I wouldn't expect the self righteous to to accept that.

Lewes' best seagull

Jan 31, 2008
Most homophobic country in the World is Iran...anyone who is found to be gay is executed, though apparently they have a choice of which method, hanging, stoning, bullet or being thrown off a cliff.

The comments here show that we have come a long way in this country towards a point where sexuality is completely irrelevant, but we still haven't come far enough, as the stupid remarks by the person who started the thread so amply display.

I agree with glasfryn, it takes a brave man to come out so openly, he will forever be judged as the gay rugby player...not just as one of the greatest to pull on a red jersey and play with distinction for his country. There are undoubtedly many gay sportsmen, few are open about this and why should they be, let us judge them on their ability to play their chosen game and not their private life.

Who would choose stoning?
:shootself

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Who would choose stoning?
:shootself

Don't know, have to admit that I am not certain about who gets to choose, whether it is the judge or the accused...but I tend to agree with you, stoning would be horrific as they have to be of a size whereby they aren't capable of killing with one blow and death has to be from the cumulative effect of lots of hits.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

By the standards of the middle east 3000 years ago?

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
Don't understand the 'brave' bit, but then I guess for those who were unaware of the situation it would seem that way.

The reality is that many many many rugby playing and watching folk knew about Thomas's sexuality, it was not a big deal so nothing was made of it.

He is not alone either and amongst other players there is a certain high profile Irish rugby player who is a well known homosexual. As he does not hide it or publically puts out he is not subjected to any negative or positive press coverage, just like Thomas before his press 'coup'.

If anyone deserves to called brave I would suggest its his wife who he knowingly deceived both before and during his marriage.......................still I wouldn't expect the self righteous to to accept that.

I think it's pretty brave of someone who's been living in denial for most or all of their adult life to finally come clean, so to speak. (OK that's my first and last double entendre!) Particularly for a macho sportsman to admit to being gay.

Yes, you're right I was unaware of the situation. Apart from not caring a jot about the silly oval-balled toff pastime, I care even less about which of them like men or women. Couldn't care less.

But it would seem to be a big deal for him, for her and for his club. Who is this “certain high profile Irish rugby player who is a well known homosexual”? Does his wife know? If he's gay but he's not telling anyone then frankly were back at the whole crux of the thread again. Why should he live a secret because a load of bigots who have their own issues about homosexuality don't think it's appropriate? It's feckin rugby for christ's sake! Who cares? Gays in the Army lowering morale? Utter bollox too! The Dutch army proves that this isn't the case.

I think it's hard to talk about her bravery, when we don't know what she knew and when. I expect she didn't know, so where's the bravery in being deceived?

I'd say she was just plain unlucky to have married someone who wasn't being honest about their sexuality.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
clearly you have trouble reading, then interpreting posts, I commented that the daily mail doesn't tend to go in for snooping on people then threatening to 'out' them unless they get an exclusive interview, that's the preserve of the red tops,at no point did I mention jan moirs column, you really need to write a memo to yourself, something along the lines of ' don't be in such a hurry to fly my right on credentials, lest I get the wrong end of the stick and make a fool of myself'.

So you are willing to admit that the Mail does sometimes print snide articles that display homophobia, yes? Regardless of whether it's an "outing" or not.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

Do you copy and paste all your posts?

Don't care what side of the political spectrum you are on, bashing the Daily Mail for it's cocktail of hate, half-truths and out and out lies should come naturally to anyone with half a brain.

Personally I'll never forgive them for their completely fabricated 'article' years back about the N64's GoldenEye game. Still makes my blood boil:rant:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Thomas' coming out is not the bravest thing in the world ( not like Bruce Willis at the end of Armageddon) but it's a far braver thing than all of wanky keyboard warriors here have ever done

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here