Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Thomas "comes out"

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
First you pointed out that at one of your reunions there were comments about a black guy from the RSM, also a mate of mine was in the Coldstream guards and they had/have issues, and another mate in the Blues and Royals said his lot had similar problems, things may have changed but this was only 10 years ago.
EX RSM, who left 22 years ago, and 10 years as you know yourself, is a lifetime in the services, I'll reserve the right to get pissed off if someone posts something that is derogatory and unfounded about the guards , as you did, if you want to tell some of the numerous black blokes in the guards that their comrades still have issues with them, be my guest.

Last edited:

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
No, they just havent had a lot, ive worked with them before, and sorry, but they were pretty rubbish.

I would suspect that your definition of 'rubbish' or otherwise is entirely subjective. I'm sure the bloody mercenaries of Blackwater or KBR feel exactly the same way about regular US troops, or UK troops for that matter.

I would also suspect that this difference that you talk of may have other factors in play, other than whether serving personnel are allowed to be candid about their sexuality. A cursory glance at relative military expenditure figures should be enough for you:

(Country – Total Expenditure - % of GDP)
USA - $664 Billion – 4.7%
UK - $40 Billion – 2.5%
Netherlands - $11.2 Billion – 1.6%

Maybe this HUGE difference in what is spent has something to do with their less militaristic and - dare I say it - more evolved attitude to human existence?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
(Country – Total Expenditure - % of GDP)
USA - $664 Billion – 4.7%
UK - $40 Billion – 2.5%
Netherlands - $11.2 Billion – 1.6%

Maybe this HUGE difference in what is spent has something to do with their less militaristic and - dare I say it - more evolved attitude to human existence?
No, just that we spent most of the cold war letting the US shouder most of the burden.What the f*** has it got to do with attitudes to human existence ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Anyway, with relevance to the original topic,i really dont see that its a huge story, apparently lots of people knew for a long time, i hes gay , so what, ive also heard that there is a former england international, who knocked out danny whathisname, kelly brooks bloke , who is also gay , allegedly.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I'm sorry, but I think you totally miss the point.

This thread was started with a lame homophobic 'joke', and some good ol' gay-related seagull baiting. Whether Gareth Thomas was left alone during his career is irrelevant now because the homophobic hacks at The Scum and the Daily Nail are working overtime to make a big deal out of it all, along with anyone else (no names mentioned) who decides to stick their oar in, here or anywhere else. These are the bigots that I refer to. This thread is about homophobia. That's the f***ing point.

If Thomas' wife knew about his sexuality all along, then she was a willing participant in the charade, and must've expected this to happen sooner or later. How, exactly, do you then postulate that she was “dragged into his deception”?

The Irish player doesn't sound to me like he's living a lie. If he does stuff for AIDS charities and it is “well known that he's gay” then it sounds like he's already come out. Again, Google won't be necessary as I really couldn't give a shit who or what he is, or who he likes to sleep with.

The point about the Dutch army is very relevant because they have a very, very different attitude towards bigotry and homosexuality. The fact that one of our club heroes was in that army only serves to make the point a bit more relevant to us.

Your sense of my disappointment at the “reality” of Thomas not being abused at games is well off the mark. In fact, that just comes off looking like a lame attempt to flame. Oh well...

It's really very simple. I think it's brave to come out, when the world is full of homophobes and bigots, and you have my heartfelt sympathies if you can neither accept nor understand this.

I think we can tell quite a lot about you from this thread.

1) GT was not outed, it was widely known that he was a homosexual.
2) Other rugby players are known to be homosexual they are not living a lie.
3) To date these players have not/are not being abused.
4) This thread is not about homophobia, you think it is and that's why you are missing the point.
5) The world is not full of homophobes and bigots.............although if you take offence at OP I can see why you may think that way................you must be a scream at BHA games.
6) I feel sorry for his wife, less so if she did not know.
7) I dont think GT is brave, he did not need to have a splash (see point 1) therefore I think he is an attention seeker.
8) The Dutch Army really was irrelevant.

It could be the fact that some football players are openly gay but choose to be discreet, it seems to me the media and many in the public are baying for a gay player, relax.............all in good time.

chinchin.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
EX RSM, who left 22 years ago, and 10 years as you know yourself, is a lifetime in the services, I'll reserve the right to get pissed off if someone posts something that is derogatory and unfounded about the guards , as you did, if you want to tell some of the numerous black blokes in the guards that their comrades still have issues with them, be my guest.

and as you well know getting anything changed in HM Forces take an eternity, so 10 years isn't a long time .... and the point I was trying to make was that if it took 20 odd years to get the number of ethinic minorities increased in certain regiments in the british army, how long would it take to get gays excepted?
The one thing we do agree on though is that providing they do the job who gives a shit.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
and as you well know getting anything changed in HM Forces take an eternity, so 10 years isn't a long time .... and the point I was trying to make was that if it took 20 odd years to get the number of ethinic minorities increased in certain regiments in the british army, how long would it take to get gays excepted?
The one thing we do agree on though is that providing they do the job who gives a shit.
have a good xnmas mate:thumbsup:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
have a good xnmas mate:thumbsup:

and to you chap, and I look forward to some more glorious binfests in the new year:thumbsup:
Interestingly I may well be seeing my mate from the Coldstream Gaurds over chrimbo .. and 'kind words' you want me to pass on :lol:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
and to you chap, and I look forward to some more glorious binfests in the new year:thumbsup:
Interestingly I may well be seeing my mate from the Coldstream Gaurds over chrimbo .. and 'kind words' you want me to pass on :lol:
seriously, ask him if his regimental motto is "second to one" ? also tell him he is a sheepshagger, i remember a story from when i was at the depot,the official nickname of the coldstream guards is the lillywhites, the unofficial one is obviously sheepshaggers, the duke of edinburgh was inspecting a passing out parade and asked a younf coldstream recruit what his regimental nickname was,you can guess which one the recruit told him :lolol:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
- dare I say it - more evolved attitude to human existence?

The same dutch army that fled their UN posts at sebrinica leading to the massacre of 8,000 muslim men and boys by Serb paramilitaries.

Is that what you mean by evolved?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The same dutch army that fled their UN posts at sebrinica leading to the massacre of 8,000 muslim men and boys by Serb paramilitaries.

Is that what you mean by evolved?
Wasn't their remit only to observe? I understood they were powerless to intervene. May be wrong though.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Wasn't their remit only to observe? I understood they were powerless to intervene. May be wrong though.
I think you're correct, it just goes to show what a monumental waste of f***ing time and money the UN is, how we allowed srebrenica to happen , in europe in the 20th century is beyond me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here