Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Thomas "comes out"

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Wasn't their remit only to observe? I understood they were powerless to intervene. May be wrong though.

"In July 1995, Dutch troops operating under the U.N. Protection Force in Srebrenica attempted to turn back Serbian forces by firing warning shots in their direction. Supporting airstrikes were called in by NATO forces, but were abandoned due to poor visibility. Dutch forces surrendered and Serbian forces captured Srebrenica on July 11, 1995.

"

International Justice | War Crimes

Without banging on about it to much th Dutch forces are f***ing shit, this was the case when I was in the forces and still is.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I think you're correct, it just goes to show what a monumental waste of f***ing time and money the UN is, how we allowed srebrenica to happen , in europe in the 20th century is beyond me.

Simsters wrong but you are right about the UN. In Rwanda Belgian troops removed their UN hats and put on regimental ones then stood aside allowing a massacre.

The UN is shit, Belgian troops and politicians are shit, dutch troops are shit(They only faced lightly armed Serb paramilitaries), most of the French army is shit.

The only ones that measure up to ours are the germans, or the swiss if they are ever f***ing relevent in a conflict. spanish have some decent troops, like the french their Foreign legions which are mainly made up of Brits.:wave:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you're correct, it just goes to show what a monumental waste of f***ing time and money the UN is, how we allowed srebrenica to happen , in europe in the 20th century is beyond me.
When you think of all the dubious wars we've fought, you'd think it would be possible for 5 or 6 major European powers to have done something about this one, on our own doorstep.

And you can't argue with the fact that so many countries have ignored UN directives too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Israel being one of the main offenders.

** waits for looney to tell me what an anti semitic loser i am **
I was going to say that, but then thought better of it. With looney sniffing around, you know it'll only end up in 3 or 4 links to 10 year old articles and you'd almost feel the SPLITTLE from here, as he goes mental while typing his gibberish.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
I think we can tell quite a lot about you from this thread.

1) GT was not outed, it was widely known that he was a homosexual.
2) Other rugby players are known to be homosexual they are not living a lie.
3) To date these players have not/are not being abused.
4) This thread is not about homophobia, you think it is and that's why you are missing the point.
5) The world is not full of homophobes and bigots.............although if you take offence at OP I can see why you may think that way................you must be a scream at BHA games.
6) I feel sorry for his wife, less so if she did not know.
7) I dont think GT is brave, he did not need to have a splash (see point 1) therefore I think he is an attention seeker.
8) The Dutch Army really was irrelevant.

It could be the fact that some football players are openly gay but choose to be discreet, it seems to me the media and many in the public are baying for a gay player, relax.............all in good time.

chinchin.

Ho ho ho 'tis the season of goodwill and cheer... Right, where was I? Oh yeah...

What you write is just plain wrong, if not plain bonkers. Your argument lacks any real substance and cohesion, and I have to wonder if we've been reading the same thread!

In fact, I'm quite impressed with how wrong you can be about so many things, all at once!

I will deal with each of your 'points' one by one, but firstly – just for fun – please name me one openly gay footballer that chooses to be discreet. Just one will do.

Now, to your points:

1 You don't know this for sure. I have also heard from a reliable source that he outed himself because he was about to be outed by a red top. Either way, this says nothing about me;

2 You either couldn't or didn't want to name even one openly gay rugby player, so I can only assume that your statement is misguided at best, disingenuous at worse. Again, this says nothing about me and everything about yourself;

3 I fail to see what this has to do with me. I don't go to rugby games – can't stand the sport – but I do go to lots of Brighton games and many other sporting events. Sadly, homophobic abuse is still a feature of very many of them;

4 If this thread isn't about homophobia – when it was started with a homophobic joke and a dig at Albion fans in the traditional gay-bashing manner – then what the f*** is it about? You haven't said that either;

5 I go to loads of albion games – have done for 30 years – and, sadly, homophobic chanting and abuse are still a feature of pretty much every single game. It sounds to me like you don't go to many games. I am a 'scream' at Albion games, because I sing and shout encouragement, unlike the vast majority of fans who sit there in silence. Also, I spend time in pubs and sadly homophobia is indeed rife. Maybe we have different definitions of the word. Maybe you don't regard calling someone a 'poof' as homophobic;

6 You feel sorry for his wife. Good for you, although I fail to see what this tells you about me! If anything, it tells us bundles about you;

7 You think the gay rugby player is an attention seeker. Good for you, but this says nothing about me and, again, everything about your good self;

8 As I said before, if you can't see the connection between the Dutch military and attitudes towards homophobia, then I can't help you. Seems fairly logical to me though.

I'm very sorry to say this but your responses, in my opinion, are actually a little suspect, which may explain why we got into this, when all I did was to agree with someone else's assertion that they felt he was brave for coming out as gay, as a burly sportsman, in a macho sport.

Maybe I should start a thread asking for NSCers to list all the “football players [that] are openly gay but choose to be discreet” because I can't name one, and I am willing to bet that you can't either. Google 'gay football players'. Result #1 is – wait for it – an article from last year in none other than the Daily Nail which suggests that there may be at least 12 premiership players that are 'are gay but afraid to come out'.

Ex-player claims at least 12 Premiership football players 'are gay but afraid to come out' | Mail Online

“England goalkeeper David James, 38, said football is one of the last professions where homosexuality is still a taboo.

He said: 'In every other entertainment industry we have gay stars. Why should football be any different?'

But former manager Alan Smith warned that being openly gay would be a heavy burden to football players.

'You can get drunk and beat up your wife and that's quite acceptable, but if someone were to say: "I'm gay," it's considered awful. It's ridiculous.'

Chinchin yerself mate. And don't worry: I'm sure you're neither a bigot nor gay x

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here