Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the benefit of our Southampton supporting member....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Guess it depends on which Div your in next season. What were your crowds for the 90/91 season where you ended up one win away from the prem? Surely you were on a role then.

The year we arrived in the playoffs with a negative goal difference after sacking Cattlin, bringing back Mullery and then replacing him with Barry LLoyd? Nah we were on the slippery slope then, disillusionment had set in after relegation from the top flight and the way the club was being handled by the directors. Our crowds fell away badly after we dropped out of the 1st division as the club was on the slide and contrary to what many would have you believe the Goldstone had become a derelict shithole.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
When we were on a roll as a team, which we are at the moment as well, our crowds at the Goldstone regularly topped 24000 in the old Third Division. Now sure we've lost a load of fans with what's been happening but to suggest we will only get 12k crowds in the 1st year at a state of the art stadium, especially if we manage to get into the Championship is just wishful negative thinking on your part

I'm not sure we 'regularly topped 24,000'

In 75/76 when we finished 4th, we had ONE gate of over 24,000 (v Palace)
In 76/77 when we went up, we had FOUR (League) crowds of over 24,000 (one v Palace and the others v Portsmouth, Reading & Sheffield Wednesday at the end of the season)

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oh I bet you couldn't :wink:

Seriously though, will you be changing your signature next season when it's proved correct.

I hope you're joking. I will happily bet you £20 or £50 we average more than 12k next yr - do you accept yeh?

Also it matters not one bit what lg we're in trust me son.

PS - I had to slightly edit your sentance to use in my sig as it made no sense.

Last edited:

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I hope you're joking. I will happily bet you £20 or £50 we average more than 12k next yr - do you accept yeh?

Also it matters not one bit what lg we're in trust me son.

PS - I had to slightly edit your sentance to use in my sig as it made no sense.

You sound like my brother who bit my arm off for a bet at the beginning of last season - that we would finish above Albion despite our minus 10 pts.

I'm still sticking by my prediction. Somewhere between 10 and 14k average Ill say.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
The year we arrived in the playoffs with a negative goal difference after sacking Cattlin, bringing back Mullery and then replacing him with Barry LLoyd? Nah we were on the slippery slope then, disillusionment had set in after relegation from the top flight and the way the club was being handled by the directors. Our crowds fell away badly after we dropped out of the 1st division as the club was on the slide and contrary to what many would have you believe the Goldstone had become a derelict shithole.

So you've been in the mire since 1983 and expect to go from 6k to 22k average gate between May and Aug this year.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think you are being incredibly myopic.

For a start, Withdean is like no other stadium in the football league (bar Don Valley). Crowds plummeted during the 90s as the recession bit, the Goldstone wasn't particularly a friendly place, the team was run down by the former owners and the future looked very bleak. Combine that with the rise of the Premiership and you can see why crowds never really recovered to anything like their former levels.

Now, two seasons in Gillingham and a long spell at Withdean is hardly conducive to attract new fans and old fans back to the club. We pretty much do sell out nowadays, but sitting at the mercy of mother nature and high prices associated with that do put people off.

I think 12,000 average is way below what the club should/would expect. I am thinking that much of the first season will be sold out.

OK maybe there is potential for the club to become bigger but surely not that much and certainly not overnight. There are some clouded judgments on here alright. This is from a neutrals point of view.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
OK maybe there is potential for the club to become bigger but surely not that much and certainly not overnight. There are some clouded judgments on here alright. This is from a neutrals point of view.

Neutral! :lolol: You seem to have three brothers that support Brighton - hardly neutral!

I would think overnight was the key stage and it will be a job retaining the fans. I daresay, we will not dip under 20k for much of next season, whatever division we might be in.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You sound like my brother who bit my arm off for a bet at the beginning of last season - that we would finish above Albion despite our minus 10 pts.

I'm still sticking by my prediction. Somewhere between 10 and 14k average Ill say.

Tell you what £20 says we'll average over 14k for the league season...?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Easiest £20 you will ever make. :laugh:

Let's see if his money is where his mouth is shall we... He said less than 12k - i've even offered him 2k more to cover his back...

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
It certainly will. :lolol:

pshh, they are aiming at 15,000 season ticket holders, and said if they don't hit that, they will be disappointed, might as well pay up now... :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
DONE
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Fair play. will you pay out once we've sold the 15k STs plus the 2.5k 1901 already sold = 17.5k. PLUS away fans should average 500 - 1500 depending on the div we're in - plus we'll sell the rest of the away tickets if there's space for home fans... I'd be confident even you would take 1000 - short trip / not often you get to see a nice stadium etc etc...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So you've been in the mire since 1983 and expect to go from 6k to 22k average gate between May and Aug this year.

Where did I say 22k? We may, we may not. Where I'd disagree with is the 12k that you started off suggesting we'd be lucky to get. I expect more than that in Season tickets alone Add to that the fans who just decide to go and the people like you and other away fans who will be gagging to see the best stadium in whatever division we're in and you'll see your original estimate was well...just plain SILLY :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here