Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the benefit of our Southampton supporting member....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Wouldn't disagree. Brighton is a miles better place to live thats why i've lived here since 1995 (unlike my BHA supporting brothers) and before that, West Sussex. It's also a much smaller city than Soton albeit with a million times more character. But it's the footy club I support not the town.

Funny that - Population of Southampton in Jun 2010 - 236,700
Population of Brighton and Hove in November 2010 - 247,817

Southampton - small town, small, insignificant club.

Cheers :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Wouldn't disagree. Brighton is a miles better place to live thats why i've lived here since 1995 (unlike my BHA supporting brothers) and before that, West Sussex. It's also a much smaller city than Soton albeit with a million times more character. But it's the footy club I support not the town.

Brighton and Hove unitary authority population - 256,600
urban area population - 461,200
Sussex population - 1,400,000 - 1 football club
Brighton & Hove geographical area - 76 km2

Southampton unitary authority population - 234,100
Urban area population - 304,400
Hampshire population - 1,700,000 - 2 football clubs
Southampton Geographical area - 55 km2

I'm not really making a point as such but it's interesting.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Un f***ing believable !! Can't believe the point of this thread. Banding around stadium designs like they're hats at ascot.

So long the laughing stock with your leisure centre, Gillingham etc. Now you milk it for us much as you can, even though you'll get an average of 12k max next season.

A) to bring Gillingham into it just shows your inibility so understand football and what happened with us losing the Goldstone.

B) to bring Withdean into it just shows your inibility so understand football and what happened with us losing the Goldstone.

C) You've just set yourself right up for an absolute ribbing with the 12k comment you idiot. Can't wait to bounce this.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Went there a couple of weeks ago, It looks really dated up close now and inside isnt that great either.
Too much going on for my liking, and the Reebok markings on the seats look extremely tacky. The picture of the Amex (posted on page 1) will look a hell of a lot nicer in high resolution, on a hot day (with the sun gleaming off the roof & arches), with a pristine pitch, beautiful blue seats, and all the exterior work around the stadium finished and looking neat and tidy. You get the idea.. it won't be looking dull in comparison then!
3 if you count Portsmouth.
:lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Brighton and Hove unitary authority population - 256,600
urban area population - 461,200
Sussex population - 1,400,000 - 1 football club
Brighton & Hove geographical area - 76 km2

Southampton unitary authority population - 234,100
Urban area population - 304,400
Hampshire population - 1,700,000 - 2 football clubs
Southampton Geographical area - 55 km2

I'm not really making a point as such but it's interesting.

Really? ??? I thought you were saying that the 15k capacity The Dell enjoyed for so many years was more than sufficient for a club/town of Southampton's size.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Please post your pictures of modern stadia with a capacity of 25,000+ that don't resemble an identi-kit rectangular Tupperware container.

I'll start with Wembley

wembley-stadium.jpg

Poljud, Split

25rjo82.jpg

Looking at all of them, there seems to be a trend for oval stadiums with wavy rooves. Is there really enough difference in these stadiums to suggest they're any more unique than the different rectangular ones?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Do you really want a conversation about our previous grounds?

Yea why not, The Goldstone ground was far better than the Dell.
Gillingham and The Withdean were not “ours”, merely renting them until the new one is ready :thumbsup:

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yea why not, The Goldstone ground was far better than the Dell.
Gillingham and The Withdean were not “ours”, merely renting them until the new one is ready :thumbsup:

No it wasnt. The Dell had far better character, if a little small for our needs.
... and at least we got a new ground before knocking down our old one. :lolol:

(cue barrage)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Didn't the Dell have a tiny pitch? Seems to recall goalkeepers could almost throw the ball from one penalty area to the next, oh it was a shithole too.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Looking at all of them, there seems to be a trend for oval stadiums with wavy rooves. Is there really enough difference in these stadiums to suggest they're any more unique than the different rectangular ones?

It's the new wave of stadium design. I actually like SMS comparing to some of these. The completely symetrical bowl actually gives a quality noise cauldron. The design of the stadium gives the maximum amount of seats for the given size of the plot.

Football%20stadium%20036.jpg

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Didn't the Dell have a tiny pitch? Seems to recall goalkeepers could almost throw the ball from one penalty area to the next, oh it was a shithole too.

NOt really. Highbury was the smallest pitch back then. The pitch was close to the crowd though. Really facilitated the need to call Roy Keane a C*nt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here