Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FFS Tony Bloom

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good post - agree with most of it ......................... but then you try to slip in a howler like that! 'Reasonable to believe Locadia os still a better footballer than these young men' - no, no, it just isn't. It's 100% cobblers!

Not so sure about that. Obviously a lot more potential but scoring against the 18-19 year olds in the U23 league is one thing and performing at a higher level is another. Teddy Jenks is a good example of someone showing how massive the step up is.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not so sure about that. Obviously a lot more potential but scoring against the 18-19 year olds in the U23 league is one thing and performing at a higher level is another. Teddy Jenks is a good example of someone showing how massive the step up is.

Lamptey is another.

Some players will take to it well and some less well. Only one way to find out.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Lamptey is another.

Some players will take to it well and some less well. Only one way to find out.

Yup, in another two years when Ferguson is the same age as Lamptey and Connolly were when they made their debuts, I could see some Fergie time coming up hopefully.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Cant believe all the criticism being shown towards TB here
Without this guy, we would be royally screwed over, and not be in the position we are today
To those who say just go and buy a striker, who would you buy, and how much for?
Many said at the time that our early season position was a bit false, but we are still in 8th place. 8th
Just let that sink in from where we were 10 years ago.
Maupay should still have some credit in the bank from his goal at the shithole up the road, and like many strikers, often goes on a run, so lets get behind the boys and cut out the booing and criticism of TB. Lets face it, if he loses the faith, then what happens?

All in budget, all offer something different to what we have, a lot fit the MO of Albions recruitment.

Paul Onuachu - 20m
Ricardo Pepi - 20m
Simon Banza - 10-15m
Deniz Undav - 10-20m
Taiwo Awoniyi - 20-25m
Fashion Sakala - 7-12m

Loan moves:

Cole Palmer - Man City
Divock Origi - Liverpool
Eddie Nketiah - Arsenal

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yup, in another two years when Ferguson is the same age as Lamptey and Connolly were when they made their debuts, I could see some Fergie time coming up hopefully.

But Tolaj is the same age.

Not calling for anyone in particular to play. But I don't think we can rule the youngsters out with such paucity of options currently in the senior squad.

I also think that Brighton fans will take the view that if we give half a season to a player who is not quite ready that the investment in their future is worth it. I know you'll quote Connolly in response. I'm more in favour of him than most on here, but I can't argue that he hasn't helped himself in a number of ways.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

This idea thay we'll have to wait until they're old enough is simply rubbish. If they're good enough, they're old enough - no need to wait just for the sake of it; there's not some mnimum age limit they have to surpass before becoming eligible. Try them - if it turns out to be a step too far too soon, fine, give them more time back in the U23s or out on loan.
Tolaj (twice) and Ferguson have already scored against adult opposition this season.

And there's plenty of teenagers playing/have played in the PL.......... ............... ................Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood, Jaydon Sancho, Tariq Lamptey, Tino Livramento, Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, etc., etc., etc.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
A few if's in there.

Surely a manager should be concentrating on getting league points on the board and not manipulating the valuation of one of his players.

Yes there are a few ifs but finances are a key part of what goes on and I can't see any footballing reason as to why he came on .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This idea thay we'll have to wait until they're old enough is simply rubbish. If they're good enough, they're old enough - no need to wait just for the sake of it; there's not some mnimum age limit they have to surpass before becoming eligible. Try them - if it turns out to be a step too far too soon, fine, give them more time back in the U23s or out on loan.
Tolaj (twice) and Ferguson have already scored against adult opposition this season.

And there's plenty of teenagers playing/have played in the PL.......... ............... ................Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood, Jaydon Sancho, Tariq Lamptey, Tino Livramento, Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, etc., etc., etc.

The thing is that often they are not good and mature enough when they are 17 but it changes rapidly.

Yeah you have those guys and then you also have guys like Michael Johnson, Jordan Ibe, David Bentley, Izzy Brown, Jose Baxter, Jack Robinson and so on where the pressure of being put in the spotlight played a part in destroying them. Could also mention players like Owen, Fowler and Wilshere who became half of what they could have become with very short careers because they played 50 games per season before they were physically ready to.

Throwing players into the mix, especially now with lots of people on here increasing their expectations that Tolaj & Ferguson should end the teams goal drought, is not without risks.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

And even if they can offer us less on a matchday than Locadia, (which I don't buy) at least we're giving development and experience to one of our young players. That will improve them more than a season of youth matches and send a signal to all that our academy is a pathway to PL football.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The thing is that often they are not good and mature enough when they are 17 but it changes rapidly.

Yeah you have those guys and then you also have guys like Michael Johnson, Jordan Ibe, David Bentley, Izzy Brown, Jose Baxter, Jack Robinson and so on where the pressure of being put in the spotlight played a part in destroying them. Could also mention players like Owen, Fowler and Wilshere who became half of what they could have become with very short careers because they played 50 games per season before they were physically ready to.

Throwing players into the mix, especially now with lots of people on here increasing their expectations that Tolaj & Ferguson should end the teams goal drought, is not without risks.

Pressure of the spotlight or just not quite good enough / had too many injuries?

Pressure will come with top level football. Some will cope with it and some won't. But every young player will at some point have to go through the stress and exhilaration of the initial change from youth to first team player.

Nobody is asking any of our young players to play 50 games. Maybe they might get 10 appearances in and around Welbeck's fitness, Maupay's more lucid spells, Potter's false 9 dalliances and anything (please god something!) we can do in January.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I have said on here a few times how I watch lots of national league north. I know one of the teams well and the other week played golf with a load of them and one of the lads in my group had a season dominating under 23s matches with villa (cracking lad). We signed him but he has struggled a bit and now sent on loan to another team in the division (I don’t agree with decision) but he certainly doesn’t stand out in national league north despite being very good in tier 2 under 23s. It is a massive leap to men’s game.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Pressure of the spotlight or just not quite good enough / had too many injuries?

Pressure will come with top level football. Some will cope with it and some won't. But every young player will at some point have to go through the stress and exhilaration of the initial change from youth to first team player.

Nobody is asking any of our young players to play 50 games. Maybe they might get 10 appearances in and around Welbeck's fitness, Maupay's more lucid spells, Potter's false 9 dalliances and anything (please god something!) we can do in January.

Yes, but you can wait with putting the players under that pressure until they are at the right age & ability to cope with it. Sometimes that might be 8, other times 15 or 20 or 23 or never. Part of GPs & the staffs job is to identify the right moment. Ferguson should get his debut when he is ready, it should have no relation to whatever the **** Jurgen Locadia is or isnt doing. Giving players the chance prematurely is not wise.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Here’s a novel idea. Instead of BUYING a striker how about BORROWING one from Chelsea, Arsenal, United, City, or Liverpool in January until the end of the season? Would our budget stretch to that do you think?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Here’s a novel idea. Instead of BUYING a striker how about BORROWING one from Chelsea, Arsenal, United, City, or Liverpool in January until the end of the season? Would our budget stretch to that do you think?

Is budget an issue?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Is budget an issue?

Is it not THE issue? We can’t afford the going rate/won’t pay it because of the knock on effect? If budget wasn’t an issue we could have spunked 30 million + to (quite possibly) get the missing piece of a very exciting jigsaw

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is it not THE issue? We can’t afford the going rate/won’t pay it because of the knock on effect?

I dunno - is it? What players do those clubs have that are £25M+ rated / £100k a week earners (which we will need to pay any way)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I dunno - is it? What players do those clubs have that are £25M+ rated / £100k a week earners (which we will need to pay any way)

I am no Top Six anorak but Origi is one who would surely improve us

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

If there was a Big Six striker that

a) the club wants
b) has a realistic chance of buying at the end of the loan deal

then I dont think they would mind loaning one, similar to the case with Mooy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fully expecting to get shot down in flames but before Saturday's several misses Maupay was one of the most clinical strikers outside the Big Six this season. Twice the conversion rate of, say, Watkins.

However, Maupay's finishing was poor against Leeds.

View attachment 142433

One bad game and 20-30 people shit the bed and rush to condemn the club's recruitment blah blah.

Yes, I'd like to see some striker recruitment but all the ludicrous old bollox I read on here half makes me think 'no, sod you, let's not sign another striker - you don't deserve one'. :lolol:

Edit now Potter is getting it in he neck for disrespecting our history. Seriously?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here