Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FFS Tony Bloom

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am no Top Six anorak but Origi is one who would surely improve us

Origi that has played for them in the Champions League 3 or 4 times this season?

But actually I'd buy him, but think we might be up against Newcastle for him

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dunno - is it? What players do those clubs have that are £25M+ rated / £100k a week earners (which we will need to pay any way)

Well, there's Rhian Brew... oh damn, he went and helped some other club with his enthralling big six magic.

He is probably the most likely top 6 senior player to go to Brighton atm. Cant be ruled out, I'd certainly have him on a list of "10 most likely striker signings". Balogun from Arsenal would also be in that category.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, there's Rhian Brew... oh damn, he went and helped some other club with his enthralling big six magic.

He is probably the most likely top 6 senior player to go to Brighton atm. Cant be ruled out, I'd certainly have him on a list of "10 most likely striker signings". Balogun from Arsenal would also be in that category.

Funny you should mention Brewster. Solanke took ages to get going at Bournemouth. I’d love to see us tempt him away in January

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The thing is that often they are not good and mature enough when they are 17 but it changes rapidly.

Yeah you have those guys and then you also have guys like Michael Johnson, Jordan Ibe, David Bentley, Izzy Brown, Jose Baxter, Jack Robinson and so on where the pressure of being put in the spotlight played a part in destroying them. Could also mention players like Owen, Fowler and Wilshere who became half of what they could have become with very short careers because they played 50 games per season before they were physically ready to.

Throwing players into the mix, especially now with lots of people on here increasing their expectations that Tolaj & Ferguson should end the teams goal drought, is not without risks.
Nothing in this life is without risk! Doesn't mean you shouldn't ever try it.

FWIW, I think playing Locadia again would be the bigger risk!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Funny you should mention Brewster. Solanke took ages to get going at Bournemouth. I’d love to see us tempt him away in January

Yeah. Mostly joking as I still think Brewster is going to turn into a great PL striker in due time and would have been happy to see him in Brighton.

I do think the club wants another striker who can deliver today rather than after a long process. Someone who is able to develop further but can bring something immediatly.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have said on here a few times how I watch lots of national league north. I know one of the teams well and the other week played golf with a load of them and one of the lads in my group had a season dominating under 23s matches with villa (cracking lad). We signed him but he has struggled a bit and now sent on loan to another team in the division (I don’t agree with decision) but he certainly doesn’t stand out in national league north despite being very good in tier 2 under 23s. It is a massive leap to men’s game.
Yes, many good young players don't go on to become superstars. Always has been that way.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007

Liverpool are keeping hold of Origi because Salah and Mane are off to the African Cup of Nations in January I read.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
One bad game and 20-30 people shit the bed and rush to condemn the club's recruitment blah blah.

Yes, I'd like to see some striker recruitment but all the ludicrous old bollox I read on here half makes me think 'no, sod you, let's not sign another striker - you don't deserve one'. :lolol:

Edit now Potter is getting it in he neck for disrespecting our history. Seriously?

I agree. Give Ferguson or Tolaj a chance. We cannot do any worse at the moment at the top end so at least giving them a few games will give them experience and who knows, one of them might adapt quicker than we think. After all that was Potter's remit from the start - to bring players through.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I agree. Give Ferguson or Tolaj a chance. We cannot do any worse at the moment at the top end so at least giving them a few games will give them experience and who knows, one of them might adapt quicker than we think. After all that was Potter's remit from the start - to bring players through.
Not having ago, phrases like let’s give so and so a chance scream of we are never getting out of small time mentality to me, players should of been recruited for this season weaker areas in the squad strengthened. Here we are half way into the season and we’ve got to the stage of let’s give someone else a go just isn’t that professional is it?

Saturday’s back lash is also riddled with small time mentality when things don’t go to plan people attached to the club get defensive and bash on about what happened near on 30 years ago. We either want to be a professional PL club or just visitors for a few seasons I really wish they would make up their minds.

Potter also jumped straight on the defensive not saying he should call out his players in public although a bit of honesty wouldn’t go a miss. His teams finishing is woeful own it work on it and move on. The silly history lesson isn’t deflecting from the elephant in the room.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In 2021 the club (Mr Bloom) has spent:-

- Almost £20m on players who won't or now physically can't play for the first team.
- Almost £20m on a player seemingly here to replace Lallana, Mac Allister and/or Moder.

Not to mention £16m on the player needed to add cohesion to the preferred formation, as well as provide final ball to the strikers.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

How much time, money, experience and skills have already been invested in two talented kids to make sure we take exactly the right small steps to try and develop them into players who could play at this level.

Sorry, but I would keep them on the development plan they are on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How much time, money, experience and skills have already been invested in two talented kids to make sure we take exactly the right small steps to try and develop them into players who could play at this level.

Nah, you're right, chuck 'em in, what harm could it do :facepalm:
The development path is pretty much written in stone - as is with most Premier League clubs.

It certainly didn't do Benjamin, or the clubs bank account, any harm.

A case can be made for interrupting that well trodden path has hindered young master Connolly.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The development path is pretty much written in stone - as is with most Premier League clubs.

It certainly didn't do Benjamin, or the clubs bank account, any harm.

A case can be made for interrupting that well trodden path has hindered young master Connolly.

I was going to mention Connolly and though many of us suspect this hasn't helped, we don't know for sure :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was going to mention Connolly and though many of us suspect this hasn't helped, we don't know for sure :thumbsup:

Nope and never will.

But it does rather suit the current agenda so why let facts get in the way?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nope and never will.

But it does rather suit the current agenda so why let facts get in the way?

Dont say that, I look forward to read his sensational debut memoir "The Aaron Connolly Chronicles Pt. I" where he explains the ins and outs of everything Brighton.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fully expecting to get shot down in flames but before Saturday's several misses Maupay was one of the most clinical strikers outside the Big Six this season. Twice the conversion rate of, say, Watkins.

However, Maupay's finishing was poor against Leeds.

View attachment 142433
You're not going to get shot down by me. Also in the case for the defence, he has the same number of goals as Brentford's penalty taker, Ivan Toney - and it took Maupay a lot fewer games to get there. In fact, things were just fine until we got just two points from the last three games where we had high hopes for a decent haul.

The big issue is not Neal Maupay, it is that we have no alternative when he inevitably goes through a difficult patch at a time when Welbeck is predictably injured.

As has been mentioned a few times on here now, maybe a loan plucked from a top six club is the answer. A sticking plaster solution to a short term problem is fine with me.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Here’s a novel idea. Instead of BUYING a striker how about BORROWING one from Chelsea, Arsenal, United, City, or Liverpool in January until the end of the season? Would our budget stretch to that do you think?

TB's line has consistently been that we don't pay to improve other clubs' players.

But it might be interesting for him to see what Potter's team would be like with a finisher - if one could be borrowed ...

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not having ago, phrases like let’s give so and so a chance scream of we are never getting out of small time mentality to me, players should of been recruited for this season weaker areas in the squad strengthened. Here we are half way into the season and we’ve got to the stage of let’s give someone else a go just isn’t that professional is it?

Saturday’s back lash is also riddled with small time mentality when things don’t go to plan people attached to the club get defensive and bash on about what happened near on 30 years ago. We either want to be a professional PL club or just visitors for a few seasons I really wish they would make up their minds.

Potter also jumped straight on the defensive not saying he should call out his players in public although a bit of honesty wouldn’t go a miss. His teams finishing is woeful own it work on it and move on. The silly history lesson isn’t deflecting from the elephant in the room.

Got as far as 'should of' - and then gave up readng and wondered why the f*** the fact that it's incorrect hasn't sunk in to everybody, given the number of times it's been helpfully pointed out on here. One way or another, many people have learned all sorts of things from NSC. Guess some people just don't want to learn.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Got as far as 'should of' - and then gave up readng and wondered why the f*** the fact that it's incorrect hasn't sunk in to everybody, given the number of times it's been helpfully pointed out on here. One way or another, many people have learned all sorts of things from NSC. Guess some people just don't want to learn.
I think you might be better off on some middle class language forum construction workers like me really don’t give a flying f.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here