Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FDM on way out

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Jim D said:
I can't understand all this stuff about MM getting rid of our 'best' players. All I can see is that he's shipping out our disruptive players. Cullip, Knight, Jarrett, McCammon and Kuipers all have reputations for being self-opinionated, easily upset and bad for morale.

At the Reading reserve game last month Kuipers was heard telling a fan that there was no way that MM was going to pick him for the first team. If he's prepared to say that to someone he doesn't even know then what's he going to say in front of his teammates and management? Bearing in mind that we have several young players in the squad - who we're trying to integrate with the other senior professionals, what example will that set them?

I think that what MM is trying to do is clear the decks for the run-in - when he'll need a team of players who are all prepared to play (and fight) for each other, not just for themselves. We'll also need to bring in others and get them working as part of this team, but that has to be easier with a group of players that are all up for the fight.

What gets me is that if MM was to say that Kuipers isn't getting picked and they are at loggaheads he'll get blamed by the antis. If on the other hand McGhee says nothing he's still wrong. Can't win can he.

He's the manager end of.

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
Jim D said:
What's bad for morale is when you have a dressing room bully that is a senior member of the squad. This is doubly bad when you have to rely on youngsters and they hear and see the unprofessional attitude of the so-called star players. What MM did was to identify the problem and get rid of it. That may be harsh on someone who's been an idol for many, but that's the reality.

I'd say the team spirit/morale/results seemed better under Adams/Taylor/Coppell when these players were in the team.

I still think MM's doing a good job (I think with the money and players we have anywhere above bottom in the league is good!) but I'm not sure he's handled the players as well as some of our past managers..

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I can't believe any of our former managers never had a falling out with any players.

Think that McGhee is probably much more honest to the media hence why more is being made out of it.

Maybe if he kept quiet about it ????

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Only DC and MK played under Adams/Taylor/Coppell, but I can certainly say that the club were very pleased with the deal they did over DC. In fact, they put the win over Sheff U last season pretty much down to him playing - it motivated the team and they knew how to play against him. Regarding MK, he's been the result of more arguments than almost everyone - fans and management alike. Adams withdrew him at halftime against Southend and if you held a poll here you'd get about a 50/50 split over whether or not he's any good. His total failure to correct his distribution (which varies from poor through woeful to almost suicidal) is reason enough not to pick him - without his attitude.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Why are people saying McGhee shipped Cullip out? Im sure he would have loved to keep Danny but as soon as an offer was made for him DK wanted to sell him becasue we were totally BROKE, same as Darren Curry!

As for Kuipers, he is a quality keeper but he screwed up at Sheff Utd by giving the ball to Lynch when he had no right to do so and cost us a goal. Henderson just seems a bit safer at the moment and thats why hes getting the shirt. Michel should just accept that he will have to wait for another chance.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I have said it before, although Kuipers is a good servant, if we can offload him we should, but we should at the same time remember the service he has given the club and not force him out.

Henderson looks to be the number one, Flo will go back at the end of the season, Martin is already a pro, so if Kuipers stays it would probably mean having to get rid of Sullivan as we cannot justify 3 professional keepers. However Sullivan has already played for England at Under 18 level and looks to be a decent prospect that we might be able to sell at some point, so do we really want to lose him. So surely it is better to move the more experienced, but injury prone and highish earning Kuipers on and develop Henderson, Martin and Sullivan?

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
junior said:
I take it nobody told you the rules??

You are NOT allowed to voice your opinion on here if you are Anti-McGhee.

What? These days I barely bother to post because the Anti-McGhee/Dick etc will just have a go. No posts are edited/deleted (unless they need to be) so you can say what you want. You can voice your opinion all you want, although don't expect a responce from me, I can't be bothered to argue with you.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The Argus version of events

"Young Richard Martin was on the bench as cover for the hampered Henderson, with Michel Kuipers excluded due to his angry response to losing his place against Burnley four days earlier.

First it was Leon Knight, then Flo Chaigneau, now Kuipers twice (the first time at Southampton). Am I alone in getting fed up with hearing about players throwing their toys out of the pram just because they are not in the side?

The behaviour of the fitagain Alexis Nicolas has been contrastingly exemplary in similar circumstances - chats behind closed doors with the manager rather than heated reactions which are bound to reach the ears of a wider public, especially if, like Mark McCammon, you bizzarley decide to contribute to a radio phone-in.

It is ridiculous for McGhee's critics to suggest he has lost the dressing room. Finishing, not spirit, was the only ingredient missing from Albion's performance. "

I would guess McGhee has clashed with

Molango (hence out on loan)
Knight - sold to Swansea
Kuipers - dropped from the squad
Chaigneau - will leave at the end of the season
Nicolas - who knows, see what happens when he is fit
Jarrett - out on loan
McCammon - exiled and unlikely to play for the club again
El-Abd - but they have put this behind them and he is deservedly in the team

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I can understand why Kuipers is pissed off but i think Henderson is the better option and Kuipers can easily get a good club in CC League 1 or 2.

Thanks for everything Michel you'll always be a lgend but its time to say goodbye.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Right why would you guess that:

Molango is not Championship quality. 'Hence out on loan'
Kuipers was dropped.
Chaigneau was not given a starting place when Blayney left.
Nicolas has not been playing. Has also been injured.
Jarrett has not been playing. Argus quote was attempt to motivate him presumably.
McCammon was dropped and voiced his irritation on the radio.
El Abd's problems were publicised before McGhee made any comment.
Knight was substituted and his reaction was the beginning of the end for him.

Now Mr Blobby and others on here can I just say that dropping a player does not mean you have clashed with them. Generally, if they react sensibly then they have another chance. So I would say that the players here have mainly clashed with McGhee and most of the incidents are just hyped up on here by the anti McGhee brigade.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Lord Bracknell said:
No goalkeeper is going to be "happy" to discover he's second choice to someone else.

But, in a world populated by mature adults, that doesn't mean there'll be an automatic bust up with the Manager.

"Young Richard Martin was on the bench as cover for the hampered Henderson, with Michel Kuipers excluded due to his angry response to losing his place against Burnley four days earlier.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Mouldy Boots said:
It has never been a problem untill Mcgee decided it was and i never heard Albion fans saying FDM is so poor at distributing the ball can we have a better keeper its Bollox in my eyes.:bowdown: :albion:

The throw out to lynch ended any chacne of getting back into that game.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There are questions of MM management skills, but surely if you tell someone that they are dropped, you should expect them to act professionally, accept the decision and raise effort on the training field! Every professional faces being dropped once in a while, and it should be the making of them as a player.

You can see why players might get angry at not being selected. After all our form has not been great, but lack of respect for authority is not acceptable!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
BarrelofFun said:
There are questions of MM management skills, but surely if you tell someone that they are dropped, you should expect them to act professionally, accept the decision and raise effort on the training field! Every professional faces being dropped once in a while, and it should be the making of them as a player.

You can see why players might get angry at not being selected. After all our form has not been great, but lack of respect for authority is not acceptable!

But there are ways of telling them, it would seem he told Kuipers on the bus while on way to soton

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
KinkyNormanBaker said:
But there are ways of telling them, it would seem he told Kuipers on the bus while on way to soton

That maybe so, but Michel should be big enough and ugly enough to put up with that. Do we know if he was told he was starting and then withdrawn? I am sure he is not the first person, that this has happened to....

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
KinkyNormanBaker said:

Sorry but thats not corrrect!

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
KinkyNormanBaker said:
Like i said it was how the argus put it.

Surely even you dont believe everything you read in the papers :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here