Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans Forum

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If he can turn Jurgen Locadia into a PL quality striker, i'll never doubt the fella again

Probably better off doing something more achievable like finding the Holy Grail.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
P & R is now certainly harder now that Mithras House isn't available......

Barber says he'll keep on looking. Which is not that convincing as there are not a huge number of sites there could possibly be.

No we'll just have to make the best of what we have and be thankful for those huge numbers of empty seats alleviating the situation to a large degree.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When the capacity was expected to be 20,000?

There aren't enough trains (not fixable, for well-publicised reasons) or P'n'R facilities (club could surely improve).

When the club put in later planning applications to expand capacity, they had to prove again and again, adequate sustainable transport. In fact BHCC made it a stumbling block until satisfied.

That does not mean being able to whisk everyone away within 15 minutes of final whistle.

The train station platforms and length of trains was always an issue, I remember long threads on that matter circa 8/9 years ago. Beyond the club's control. Are Network Rail minded to spend £10m's improving a tiny station for 19 events a year? Do Southern care?

Bennett's Field was a bonus, now taken away. The 1901 users now have to join the hoi polloi. The uni's have also always been a problem on certain days, that too was discussed in great detail on nsc.

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
I just get the bus or walk but I live within a distance to do that. I'm currently moaning at a staff member of Network Rail about their maintenance timings for the Leicester game & I'm a bit miffed that walk is going to be my only option, as Coldean Lane is closed (2 separate issues). I can't moan at PB for that though. :shrug:

Hah! Yeah, I'd already tweeted SASTA about it too. My question was:
Due to the upcoming engineering works, am I to presume that [MENTION=26542]Southern[/MENTION]railuk have had the foresight to order enough buses/coaches to handle the extra demand on the West Coast Way service for the Football on the 19th Sept?

To which the reply was:
Hi there. Our Train Planning teams will always consider football fixtures when planning future timetables, details will be finalised closer to the time so please continue to check your journey before travelling.

Responded with:
Hope you don't mind, but I'll take that as a no then as in previous experience when it come's to football planning, they only consider the East Coast Way and not other services coming from the West of the County.

Yoda

English & European
When the capacity was expected to be 20,000?

There aren't enough trains (not fixable, for well-publicised reasons) or P'n'R facilities (club could surely improve).

A train every 10 minutes is probably the best you can hope for without a major overhaul of the lines into Brighton station. East Coast & the London to Brighton Main Line, cross and share the same piece of track as the leave the station towards the viaduct. To have any more trains running to and from the stadium would impede the main line services.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yeah some were. But they account for a relatively small amount of our missed Xg.

Do you honestly think that drilling Connolly to put the ball in the back of the net from 3 yards will make any difference to whether he can do it in a match?
What sort of margins of improvement do you expect it to make?

The Stats say that our problem is too many of our opportunities are very low percentage, well defended situations.
Potter will be better served training the team to be quicker in the build up, than drilling the strikers to hit an open goal from 3 yards.

The way elite athletes practice is through repetition, putting Maupay / Connolly / Welbeck in a position repetitively will improve them.

Until they can prove they can do it regularly in game situations, there is a need.

The game is about fine margins the higher up you go, this is an example of where any improvement, even marginal, will make a difference.

I really don’t care what the stats say, we need to get better at finishing all our chances. Not just Connolly, but all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The way elite athletes practice is through repetition, putting Maupay / Connolly / Welbeck in a position repetitively will improve them.

Until they can prove they can do it regularly in game situations, there is a need.

The game is about fine margins the higher up you go, this is an example of where any improvement, even marginal, will make a difference.

I really don’t care what the stats say, we need to get better at finishing all our chances. Not just Connolly, but all of them.

Agreed

Fortunately, I believe we have a coach who is able to achieve that.
He believes in his ability to continually improve players.
Very few of us will know how he ultimately goes about it.

I suspect that he will use data to help him assess how to get the incremental improvements required.
You may be correct though, he may just get them practising their shooting, until they are good enough.

As long as it works, it matters very little

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agreed

Fortunately, I believe we have a coach who is able to achieve that.
He believes in his ability to continually improve players.
Very few of us will know how he ultimately goes about it.

I suspect that he will use data to help him assess how to get the incremental improvements required.
You may be correct though, he may just get them practising their shooting, until they are good enough.

As long as it works, it matters very little

Yes, we are very lucky with Potter, I’m sure he’ll find a solution.

FWIW, I can’t believe we’ll finish chances poorly two years running.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
How about next year, those who criticise events such as this, turn up themselves and ask these cutting, concise questions about the terrible state Tony and his team have apparently left us in?

I didn't attend but I watched with interest. I enjoy the annual Fan's Forum and appreciate them for what they are and for how they make me think back to the days when we really did need to question the running or our club.

Totally this.

Too many keyboard critics who don't have anything interesting themselves to ask, then just knock anyone else who does. Pretty pathetic really.

For a change I thought last nights forum was one of the better ones of recent years, and at least the club make themselves available year in year out.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Totally this.

Too many keyboard critics who don't have anything interesting themselves to ask, then just knock anyone else who does. Pretty pathetic really.

For a change I thought last nights forum was one of the better ones of recent years, and at least the club make themselves available year in year out.

Agree.

We’re on holiday but would have attended. Too easy to criticise and do nothing about it.

The club’s efforts to communicate with supporters are very underestimated

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Final Squad ? - perhaps several other u21s will make the bench in this period up til the Jan window given there are now 9 places.
And obviously all bets are off for make up of team for Swansea/Carabao Cup. Expect Moran, Sarmiento, Ferguson to be in the frame for the bench.

1. Sanchez ( HGP )
2. Steele ( HGP )
U21. Scherpen
U21. Lamptey
3. March ( HGP )
4. Cucurella
5. Veltman
6. Burn ( HGP )
7. Webster ( HGP )
8. Dunk ( HGP )
9. Duffy ( HGP )
U21. Roberts
10. Băluţa
11. Mwepu
12. Bissouma
13. Moder
14. Alzate ( HGP )
15. Lallana ( HGP )
16. Groß
17. Mac Allister
U21. Richards
18. Trossard
19. Maupay
20. Welbeck ( HGP )
U21. Connolly
21. Locadia
22. [Dicker]

Loanees: Bull (Merstham), Jenks (Aberdeen), Cochrane (Hearts), Longman (Hull City), Weir (Cambridge United), Clarke (WBA), Rushworth (Walsall), Arce (LDU Quito), Mitoma (USG), Østigård (Stoke City), Andone (Cadiz)*, Molumby (WBA)*, Karbownik (Olympiacos)*, Van Hecke (Blackburn), Zeqiri (FC Augsburg), Walton (Ipswich), Khadra (Blackburn) , Sima (Stoke City), Caicedo ( Beerschot), Dendoncker (St Johnstone)

Sales Izquierdo (Released), Propper (PSV), Mlakar (Hadjuk Split), Bernardo (Salzburg), Yapi (Vitesse), Ryan (Real Sociedad), Jahanbakhsh (Feyenoord), White (Arsenal), Tau (Al Ahly)

* Loan to buy option[

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, realistically, is this what we have in terms of senior pros likely to be in contention for the starting XI in the Premier League*?

* Position-flexibility aside, such as March being pushed forward etc

Goalkeeper
1. Sanchez ( HGP )

Back Five
U21. Lamptey
3. March ( HGP )
4. Cucurella
5. Veltman
6. Burn ( HGP )
7. Webster ( HGP )
8. Dunk ( HGP )
9. Duffy ( HGP )

Holding Midfield
11. Mwepu
12. Bissouma
13. Moder
14. Alzate ( HGP )

Attacking Midfield / Number 10
15. Lallana ( HGP )
16. Groß
17. Mac Allister
18. Trossard

Strikers
19. Maupay
20. Welbeck ( HGP )
U21. Connolly

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
The game with California Surf in Anaheim wasn't cancelled. I know, because I was there too. Probably sat next to you:) Got pictures somewhere. I think the game with The Portland Timbers was also played, but was too far away for us to get to.
Pretty sure San Diego did not go ahead and neither did the game with Las Vegas Seagulls. Odd name for a team stuck in a desert.

Different pre season I think. San Diego was definitely the only game we saw and we were taken to the Sea World place as a sort of compensation .

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Goodness me. Did we all listen to the same thing? Some of you have bought the obvious bullshit wholesale. For all the sense and truth, there was a lot of PR spinning going on. We don't need a new striker? We ****ing do. We need a striker. Can we afford that new striker? Probably not.

Are you suggesting asking about Vancouver was a wasted opportunity?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Next year, can Jonny do a warm up piece which reminds the audience that the questions are supposed to be questions. Not rambling monologues, not the life story of the questioner, not the chance to achieve prominence as some sort of superfan

It's only an hour. We want to hear from the club. Stand up, ask your question, sit back down

Why did nobody present boo that lady who admitted leaving early every week?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here