Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans Forum

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
It was well presented, Jonny did a great job hosting it and the audience members who made the effort to attend asked some thoughtful questions.

A worthwhile exercise which shared information with us and once again reminded me that we have some very clever, decent people running our club.
I like the thought of a pre-season tour to North America when the time is right.

I went on the 1979 pre season tour to California. Great holiday but all the games were cancelled just before we travelled except San Diego.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
According to NSC’s finest, including a certain Swede, you can’t coach finishing. Odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if you saw the analysis of our Xg from last season.
Broadly speaking it broke down to a lot of chances with a high percentage of shots from well defended positions.

It isn't too big a leap to think our strikers would improve their goal tallies by the team focusing on creating better opportunities, rather than drilling the strikers at finishing.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Goodness me. Did we all listen to the same thing? Some of you have bought the obvious bullshit wholesale. For all the sense and truth, there was a lot of PR spinning going on. We don't need a new striker? We ****ing do. We need a striker. Can we afford that new striker? Probably not.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
According to NSC’s finest, including a certain Swede, you can’t coach finishing. Odd.

I've never said that. What I have tried to explain that there is limitations to what you can do and that the answer to strikers failing to score is not always "why dont they practice shooting??????" since nearly every striker got goal droughts or rough seasons in their careers - regardless of the coach, because there are multiple other factors to why a player isnt scoring or performing. There is also limitations to what you can do. You can practice finishing with Jason Steele or Dan Burn 24/7, they will never turn into Harry Kane anyway. And its also not some overnight thing to improve players who have already trained professionally for years and years.

And regardless of coaching, its mainly up to the players. Frank Rijkaard didnt make Lionel Messi score 800 goals - Lionel Messi did. Same goes for everyone. And sometimes there is just gaps in quality that no coach can do anything about.

Can a coach coach finishing? Yes. But unlike what some of NSCs stuck-in-puberty-kneejerkers think, its quite complicated and there are limits to what any coach can do.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not sure if you saw the analysis of our Xg from last season.
Broadly speaking it broke down to a lot of chances with a high percentage of shots from well defended positions.

It isn't too big a leap to think our strikers would improve their goal tallies by the team focusing on creating better opportunities, rather than drilling the strikers at finishing.

Creating better opportunities?

Last year some of those were literally on a plate. The higher level you play at the chances are fewer and can rely on instinct. We are poor at finishing and You don’t need stats to see that.

You absolutely should practice finishing, in the same way a golfer practices putting.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Creating better opportunities?

Last year some of those were literally on a plate. The higher level you play at the chances are fewer and can rely on instinct. We are poor at finishing and You don’t need stats to see that.

You absolutely should practice finishing, in the same way a golfer practices putting.

Yeah some were. But they account for a relatively small amount of our missed Xg.

Do you honestly think that drilling Connolly to put the ball in the back of the net from 3 yards will make any difference to whether he can do it in a match?
What sort of margins of improvement do you expect it to make?

The Stats say that our problem is too many of our opportunities are very low percentage, well defended situations.
Potter will be better served training the team to be quicker in the build up, than drilling the strikers to hit an open goal from 3 yards.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I went on the 1979 pre season tour to California. Great holiday but all the games were cancelled just before we travelled except San Diego.

The game with California Surf in Anaheim wasn't cancelled. I know, because I was there too. Probably sat next to you:) Got pictures somewhere. I think the game with The Portland Timbers was also played, but was too far away for us to get to.
Pretty sure San Diego did not go ahead and neither did the game with Las Vegas Seagulls. Odd name for a team stuck in a desert.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Potter came over that he had a word with Welbeck and Maupay who told him they would improve so no need for another striker. Rubbish. Truth is no striker available in price range that Bloom is willing to pay. Fair enough but why not say so. Also gave impression Zaqri out on loan because wanted to play more games. Think he would have got plenty here instead of playing Connolly

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Potter came over that he had a word with Welbeck and Maupay who told him they would improve so no need for another striker. Rubbish. Truth is no striker available in price range that Bloom is willing to pay. Fair enough but why not say so. Also gave impression Zaqri out on loan because wanted to play more games. Think he would have got plenty here instead of playing Connolly

Well, except for the chap we agreed a fee for and chose Fiorentina

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Next year, can Jonny do a warm up piece which reminds the audience that the questions are supposed to be questions. Not rambling monologues, not the life story of the questioner, not the chance to achieve prominence as some sort of superfan

It's only an hour. We want to hear from the club. Stand up, ask your question, sit back down

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Next year, can Jonny do a warm up piece which reminds the audience that the questions are supposed to be questions. Not rambling monologues, not the life story of the questioner, not the chance to achieve prominence as some sort of superfan

It's only an hour. We want to hear from the club. Stand up, ask your question, sit back down
Indeed.

Get to the point, don't be a chatterbox.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Ha. That’s not quite what they said or meant . It’s pretty misleading. Zeqiri didn’t start a game for us last season even with injuries to Welbeck and Connolly and the odd Maupay absence - so not sure where you get that idea.
Also Potter does have a good track record of improving /coaching the best out of players - ask Bissouma, Gross and Shane Duffy. And Welbeck was in fine form for 2nd half of the season. He’s a good coach

Of course Bloom would have stumped up for the right player but for various reasons (not just price) - it didn’t happen. the answers were far more thoughtful/nuanced than you’re implying.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
How about next year, those who criticise events such as this, turn up themselves and ask these cutting, concise questions about the terrible state Tony and his team have apparently left us in?

I didn't attend but I watched with interest. I enjoy the annual Fan's Forum and appreciate them for what they are and for how they make me think back to the days when we really did need to question the running or our club.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I didn't listen - but can someone tell me if the ST sharing option etc. was discussed and are the club happy to see so many empty seats as a result of the new system?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Potter came over that he had a word with Welbeck and Maupay who told him they would improve so no need for another striker. Rubbish. Truth is no striker available in price range that Bloom is willing to pay. Fair enough but why not say so.

Because it was a public meeting with a broadcast feed available worldwide. None of us know if your statement in bold above reflects reality, but even just supposing for a moment it does, how does undermining the Chairman, the current players and our transfer policy in public achieve anything other than foster a toxic atmosphere of mistrust among the squad and management team? To expect Potter or any other member of the executive team to say anything like that in public is naive in the extreme.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Ha. That’s not quite what they said or meant . It’s pretty misleading. Zeqiri didn’t start a game for us last season even with injuries to Welbeck and Connolly and the odd Maupay absence - so not sure where you get that idea.
Also Potter does have a good track record of improving /coaching the best out of players - ask Bissouma, Gross and Shane Duffy. And Welbeck was in fine form for 2nd half of the season. He’s a good coach

Of course Bloom would have stumped up for the right player but for various reasons (not just price) - it didn’t happen. the answers were far more thoughtful/nuanced than you’re implying.

If he can turn Jurgen Locadia into a PL quality striker, i'll never doubt the fella again

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Surrounded by the Downs, non-car sustainable transport was always THE Amex blueprint, long before Barber joined the club. We were all meant to get there by train, bus, coach, walk or cycle. It was in all the planning packs.

Bennett’s Field, The Bridge and uni parking was a bonus that came along later.

When the capacity was expected to be 20,000?

There aren't enough trains (not fixable, for well-publicised reasons) or P'n'R facilities (club could surely improve).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here