Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Family's shock at Brighton cruising spot - The Argus

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
It sounds to me this child will get the support she needs from her parents. But why is it so wrong for someone to stand up and try to make sure this doesn't happen to another family. This is the trouble with the world today people dont want to stand up for what it right.

Are you sure? To me the reason the kid is so bloody traumatized is because of the parents reaction to it - probably nothing to do with what she witnessed.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
What exactly is your problem pal? You have done nothing but poke a stick at me all the way through this thread, I'm starting to wonder why you are so against what I'm saying! I have my suspicions, you protest too much dear!!!

see chris you cant help yourself with your insinuations, your homophobia weeps out of every poor of your body.

windy

Feb 24, 2013
Are you sure? To me the reason the kid is so bloody traumatized is because of the parents reaction to it - probably nothing to do with what she witnessed.

Mate you quite clearly have something against this Chris chap, he's only protecting his family and trying to make some good come out of a bad situation.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
i unfortunately dont have children despite spunking an obscene amount of money on IVF - if it had worked i would not want them to be exposed to any form of public indecency - i was merely expressing surprise that a person born and bred within 500 yards of dukes mound would go there for a family stroll, fair enough maybe the council should put up signs to alert people to potential botty action....Although there would be plenty of people offended by the sign no doubt?

Thank you

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
That's the sound of the "you have to be a parent card" being laid down. Of all the fuckwitted claptrap people come out with, this is number 1 on the list, it's so smug and clearly wrong. I understand that people love their kids, I get that. There's no need to be so patronising about it.

How many kids have you got?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
How many kids have you got?

It's none of your business. My point is you don't need to have kids to be aware that a parent would want to protect their children. It's the laziest argument & I just hate it. In addition, a parent wanting to protect their children doesn't neccessarily make it right, in fact the emotional nature of the response increases the chances of it being ill thought out.

FWIW though, I agree with your original point, I find it hard to think that anyone seriously believes otherwise.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
You could also write to your MP, and/or the MP for Kemptown Simon Kirby

On your advice I did just that, here's the reply from Simon Kirby:

Thank you for your email below and for drawing my attention to the issue of
Dukes Mound.

There is a strict Parliamentary rule which prevents an MP from one constituency
corresponding with the constituents of another Member of Parliament. Although
the event took place in my constituency, given your address is in Tim Loughton's
constituency I will need to direct your concerns to your own MP.

I have copied in Tim Loughton's office into this correspondence so that he is
aware of your concerns.

Kind regards,

Simon Kirby MP

Simon Kirby MP
Member of Parliament for Brighton Kemptown and Peacehaven.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wasn't Loughton Childrens Minister ?

If he was and nothing happens then that is it MP wise

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
Having just read this thread, you don't have to be Colombo to work out that it was obviously marshy68 and Beach Hut that were caught in the act! Why else would they be so hostile to the OP?

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011

Dukes Mound.

the event took place in my constituency, given your address is in Tim Loughton's

aware of your concerns.

Kind regards,

Simon Kirby MP

Simon Kirby MP

Heres my reply:

Dear Simon,

I had no idea of that strict parliamentary ruling, please excuse my ignorance.

Seeing as we can’t have any written communication between each other is it within the rules to discuss this face to face? Do you have surgeries? If so, could I come along and chat with you or would I have to be a constituent of Kemp Town?

Seeing as the event took place in your constituency and the long running tensions and concerns regarding Dukes Mound I’d very much like the opportunity to hear your opinion.

If communicating with me is completely against the rule book, perhaps you can make a public statement about this problem area - your own constituents are most likely aware of the going’s on at Dukes Mound, the tens of thousands of people that visit from outside the area definitely won’t be.

We need to hear from the top man that it’s being dealt with, or at the very least warned before we enter it.

Yours sincerely
Chris

Last edited:

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Having just read this thread, you don't have to be Colombo to work out that it was obviously marshy68 and Beach Hut that were caught in the act! Why else would they be so hostile to the OP?

That's really funny - must be getting my sense of humour back.

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
I can only imagine some of the posters in this thread are on a wind up. A family, out walking, come across a couple shagging in a public place at 2pm and they don't consider that offensive? It's irrelevant if they are gay or heterosexual, anyone who thinks that's ok is a f***ing moron. The fact the police won't do anything about it doesn't surprise me, probably worried about upsetting the minorities blah, blah f***ing blah. Honestly, the world's gone f***ing mad!

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Heres my reply:

Dear Simon,

I had no idea of that strict parliamentary ruling, please excuse my ignorance.

Seeing as we can’t have any written communication between each other is it within the rules to discuss this face to face? Do you have surgeries? If so, could I come along and chat with you or would I have to be a constituent of Kemp Town?

Seeing as the event took place in your constituency and the long running tensions and concerns regarding Dukes Mound I’d very much like the opportunity to hear your opinion.

If communicating with me is completely against the rule book, perhaps you can make a public statement about this problem area - your own constituents are most likely aware of the going’s on at Dukes Mound, the tens of thousands of people that visit from outside the area definitely won’t be.

We need to hear from the top man that it’s being dealt with, or at the very least warned before we enter it.

Yours sincerely
Chris

Here is the reply from Tim Loughton’s office, (Loughton was the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Children and Families from 2010-2012).

Dear Chris,

Your email to Simon Kirby MP has been passed on to Tim Loughton MP as Mr.
Loughton is your MP. Although the incident you describe took place in Mr.
Kirby's constituency, Parliamentary guidelines dictate that correspondence
should be forwarded to the local MP which in this instance is Mr. Loughton.

Mr. Loughton has asked me to thank you for alerting us to this incident, and we can quite appreciate the shock you and your wife felt in witnessing this act, particularly as you had your 10 year old daughter with you.

This is a police matter and Mr. Loughton will be happy to write to the Chief Constable on your behalf.

Yours sincerely,

Caroline MacNaughton
Office Manager to Tim Loughton MP

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s almost a whole week since the incident and I’ve written to every official that I can possibly think of, here’s a list of who I’ve contacted and who’s replied:

Jason Kitcat – Leader of Brighton and Hove City Council: Jason replied quite swiftly to my original letter, this is the one on my opening post - He is aware of the long running concerns regarding Dukes Mound, they deploy a policy of “managed toleration” and he also believes there is no permanent solution. He is yet to reply to my follow up email suggesting an easy permanent solution.

Katy Bourne – Sussex Police Crime Commissioner: Not replied to letters, I did have a brief tweet session with her and she said she was aware of the incident and that I’d definitely get a reply within 10 days.

Caroline Lucas MP – Not replied at all.

Simon Kirby MP for Kemptown – Replied but informed me it’s against the rules to have correspondence with someone who isn’t in his constituency, I suggested perhaps he’d like to make a public statement seeing as Dukes mound is on his manor and I’m waiting on his reply.

Tim Loughton MP, my MP as I currently live in Worthing – Not replied to my original letter that was sent to him at the same time as contacting Simon Kirby, his office have replied to me via my reply to Simon Kirby. (See letter above).

Alex Evans, Sussex Police – No idea who he is, he was copied into a reply I received and since then I’ve just copied him in to all my emails, he’s made no comment.

PC Rich Bridger – LGBT Liaison Officer Neighbourhood Policing Team – Not replied at all, got a bounce back yesterday saying he was out of the office.

Complaints, city clean and city parks departments Brighton and Hove Council – All replied and said officials would be in touch.

As well as the officials, I’ve also spoken to the Argus and they ran a story, they tell me they’ve received some letters and will publish some of that opinion this week.

I have also contacted various people from the LGBT community but so far none of them have commented. These are individuals and associations so I won’t post who they are on here.

To Bozza and the team, thank you keeping this thread alive. I hope to post more responses as and when I get them.

Last edited:

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
I can only imagine some of the posters in this thread are on a wind up. A family, out walking, come across a couple shagging in a public place at 2pm and they don't consider that offensive? It's irrelevant if they are gay or heterosexual, anyone who thinks that's ok is a f***ing moron. The fact the police won't do anything about it doesn't surprise me, probably worried about upsetting the minorities blah, blah f***ing blah. Honestly, the world's gone f***ing mad!

Thank you

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Dukes Mound.

aware of your concerns.

Kind regards,

Simon Kirby MP

Simon Kirby MP

In other words "f*** off, I've got more important shit to deal with mate".

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Here is the reply from Tim Loughton’s office, (Loughton was the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Children and Families from 2010-2012).

Dear Chris,

Your email to Simon Kirby MP has been passed on to Tim Loughton MP as Mr.
Loughton is your MP. Although the incident you describe took place in Mr.
Kirby's constituency, Parliamentary guidelines dictate that correspondence
should be forwarded to the local MP which in this instance is Mr. Loughton.

Mr. Loughton has asked me to thank you for alerting us to this incident, and we can quite appreciate the shock you and your wife felt in witnessing this act, particularly as you had your 10 year old daughter with you.

This is a police matter and Mr. Loughton will be happy to write to the Chief Constable on your behalf.

Yours sincerely,

Caroline MacNaughton
Office Manager to Tim Loughton MP

My reply to Tim's office:

Dear Caroline,

I would very much like Mr Loughton to write to the Chief Constable and would be interested to hear feedback.

What concerns me the most is that the authorities accept that this area is a well known cruising area and they deploy a strategy of “managed toleration” to it. I am aware there is no law specifically prohibiting cruising, but public indecency is illegal especially if it’s in an area where people who might be offended could easily witness it.

Dukes Mound is on Brighton’s seafront and a pebble’s throw away from family attractions, therefore it’s highly likely many visitors to that part of town would be deeply offended by incidents like this.

Not only that but if you Google Dukes Mound you’ll find a variety of websites with those words in their content, there are many but the one at the very top of the list is called pinkuk.com, this site describes Dukes Mound as follows:

Located next to Brighton Marina Dukes mound stretches for about a quarter of a mile with lots of hiding places and a big temple at one end that's very popular. Popular 24 hours a day!

In the review section for Dukes Mound on pinkuk.com:

Rupert here. Oh boy, what a time my mate and I had!. Ok, it was Pride weekend, so doubtless much busier than usual, but there were at least a hundred guys there--mostly in the 'Temple'. All sorts and some nice young ones. Police driving along the road below took not a blind bit of notice. A long walk from the James Street area of Brighton, but well worth it! The pathways down to the temple are not now so popular-- most of them are too brightly lit up for the purpose.

Dukes Mound’s location is clearly not a fit area to employ a strategy of “managed toleration”, it is subject to long running tensions and concerns and is advertised to the world as an un-policed 24 hour site for this type of activity.

I appreciate you taking the time to forward on my concerns.

Yours sincerely

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
In other words "f*** off, I've got more important shit to deal with mate".

My letter campaign is clearly not the way to go, just hitting one brick wall after another.

Still no contact from anyone at the police to date.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

you'd make a piss poor copper - but carry on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here