Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Family's shock at Brighton cruising spot - The Argus

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
So far it just shows that nobody in authority wants to take any action and, as for Kitkat, it's a disgrace that he could write to you and direct you to the wrong ward cllrs but then he's hardly local.

Should we also accept that certain areas of the City, with a reputation for violence, be subject to "managed tolerence"?

Chris, you are a pain and are making people what some would call "professional discomfort". keep it up!

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Dear Chris,

Firstly can I say that your family’s experience when walking in this area was totally unacceptable. It is true to say that this is a long running issue where the police, council and other agencies have worked together to tackle it. In the past the council has carried out some fairly extensive works in the area such as additional and brighter lighting, cutting down and clearing the bushes and undergrowth.

This area is not in East Brighton Ward and so we are not the ward councillors. Dukes Mound is within Rottingdean Coastal Ward and the councillors are Cllrs David Smith, Mary Mears and Lynda Hyde. They will be able to give you far more detail of the current approach being taken by the police and council and whether there is any further specific action planned since this incident occurred.

Best wishes,

Councillor Gill Mitchell

East Brighton Ward

-----------------------------------------

I HAVE FORWARDED THIS ONTO THE CORRECT COUNCILLORS

Having redirected my email to the correct ward, this is the response I got from them:

Dear Chris

Thank you for your email.

My colleagues and I are ward councillors for the area, and share you serious concerns with regards to Dukes Mount.

Previously before May 2011, we were the administration running Brighton & Hove City Council, and my role was Leader of the council.

We were very concerned with the activities taking place at Dukes Mount, even with the ongoing work that was taking place with the police,and adding extra lighting, and hedge cutting.

We brought forward a scheme for a temporary coach park to be installed at Black Rock with the view that it would not only encourage extra coaches (so more visitors to the city) but also with increased usage of the area, stop the seclusion around Dukes Mount.
We had plans drawn up which were approved at planning.

In May 2011 local elections the council had a change of administration.

The new Green administration, stopped the plans for the coach park.

Councillor Jason Kitcat is the Leader of the Green administration running the council.

I read with some concern his reply to you, as frankly he is in charge of the running of the council, and as the saying goes the " Buck stops here "

He has the authority to address the issues at Dukes Mount, but clearly from his response he is not prepared to do so.

I will make enquiries as to what action the council is proposing to take especially in light of the recent incident at Dukes Mount.

And will come back to you .

Kind regards.

Mary

Councillor Mary Mears
Ward Councillor for Rottingdean Coastal
Tel: 01273 291011

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
So far it just shows that nobody in authority wants to take any action and, as for Kitkat, it's a disgrace that he could write to you and direct you to the wrong ward cllrs but then he's hardly local.

Should we also accept that certain areas of the City, with a reputation for violence, be subject to "managed tolerence"?

Chris, you are a pain and are making people what some would call "professional discomfort". keep it up!

Thank you.

I will be writing to Jason again as it would seem he and his people scuppered approved plans to regenerate the area, his attempt to swerve responsibility has back fired.
Is this simply a case of one community having too much power and influence over the council and police? So much so that they’ve basically legalized this sort of thing!

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Having redirected my email to the correct ward, this is the response I got from them:

Dear Chris

My colleagues and I are ward councillors for the area, and share you serious concerns with regards to Dukes Mount.

Previously before May 2011, we were the administration running Brighton & Hove City Council, and my role was Leader of the council.

We were very concerned with the activities taking place at Dukes Mount, even with the ongoing work that was taking place with the police,and adding extra lighting, and hedge cutting.

We brought forward a scheme for a temporary coach park to be installed at Black Rock with the view that it would not only encourage extra coaches (so more visitors to the city) but also with increased usage of the area, stop the seclusion around Dukes Mount.

Councillor Jason Kitcat is the Leader of the Green administration running the council.

I read with some concern his reply to you, as frankly he is in charge of the running of the council, and as the saying goes the " Buck stops here "

He has the authority to address the issues at Dukes Mount, but clearly from his response he is not prepared to do so.

I will make enquiries as to what action the council is proposing to take especially in light of the recent incident at Dukes Mount.

Kind regards.

Mary

Councillor Mary Mears

Here is my follow up to Jason:

Dear Jason,

I appreciate you pointing me towards the ward councillors, (albeit the wrong ones). I eventually got to the correct people who’s ward includes Duke’s Mound.

Firstly, do you know where Duke’s Mound is? Just in case here are a few pointers:

Brighton is the city that you have been elected to run.
Duke’s Mound is in Brighton and very near to Brighton Marina
Brighton Marina is the big thing with the boats and it attracts many 1000’s of visitors.
Duke’s Mound is yards away from Volk’s Railway.
Volk’s Railway is the little train that runs along the seafront and it’s very popular to those who have young children.

This is how many would describe the area but you’ll find many more colourful descriptions of it online, try pinkuk.com I think they even have a map.

Mary Mears, ward councillor for Rottingdean coastal has provided me with even more information, see email below.

In summary, Mary and her colleagues share my serious concerns regarding Duke's Mound and inform me that it was in fact you that stopped approved plans in 2011 to regenerate the area.

Why did you do that?

You do have the authority to do something tangible because you are the leader of the council, as Mary say’s “the buck stops with you”.

Why haven’t you done anything?

Are you going to do anything?

What are you going to do and when?

If your strategy is to do nothing then can you at least put up a sign warning the public that you’ve legalized public indecency in this area?

“Leadership is solving problems. The day people stop bringing you their problems is the day you stop leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership” – Colin Powell

Many thanks
Chris

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

Dear Chris

Kind regards.

Mary

Councillor Mary Mears

**** me that's too funny..... mary clearly loves a mount don't think I can stop laughing.

Last edited:

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
not often I agree with you terry - but I do x

Only a fool would walk through dukes mound with kids. so you cant walk along the seafront with your children anymore just in case some SELFISH people are acting indecently, WHAT A SAD WORLD! I dont care if the people are homosexual or straight people should be free to walk wherever they want without having to put with up the nonsense that goes on at Dukes mound.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Only a fool would walk through dukes mound with kids. so you cant walk along the seafront with your children anymore just in case some SELFISH people are acting indecently, WHAT A SAD WORLD! I dont care if the people are homosexual or straight people should be free to walk wherever they want without having to put with up the nonsense that goes on at Dukes mound.

I am not saying its right - at the very start of this i expressed suprise that people are not aware of dukes mound and what goes on there especially when they live in the city. Its abit like being shocked at seeing prostitutes in amsterdam or leaning that the favellas in rio are a bit nasty. Last summer i saw a hetrosexual couple shagging in a bunker at hollingbury golf course... i was surprized quite put me off my game and it made for a difficult third shot out of the bunker admittedly.. maybe i should have asked for warning signs at the start of each hole....

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
I am not saying its right - at the very start of this i expressed suprise that people are not aware of dukes mound and what goes on there especially when they live in the city. Its abit like being shocked at seeing prostitutes in amsterdam or leaning that the favellas in rio are a bit nasty. Last summer i saw a hetrosexual couple shagging in a bunker at hollingbury golf course... i was surprized quite put me off my game and it made for a difficult third shot out of the bunker admittedly.. maybe i should have asked for warning signs at the start of each hole....

If your only problem with me is that I’m stupid to have not known, then I can live with that. But I totally disagree that my lack of knowledge in regard to local cruising spots makes this somehow my fault.

Where people are openly breaking the law, where the authorities know about it, tolerate it and accommodate it, then I totally reject any idea that decent society is to blame for simply not knowing about it. Therefore, your golf story is not comparable.

You’ve asked me what I expect to achieve in writing all these letters – it’s simple, I’m telling them their kitchen is dirty but it’s their job to clean it.

If you’ve ever had any doubts that the system isn’t working, people like Jason Kitkat come along and prove it.

Marshy68, It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a sick society.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
If your only problem with me is that I’m stupid to have not known, then I can live with that. But I totally disagree that my lack of knowledge in regard to local cruising spots makes this somehow my fault.

Where people are openly breaking the law, where the authorities know about it, tolerate it and accommodate it, then I totally reject any idea that decent society is to blame for simply not knowing about it. Therefore, your golf story is not comparable.

You’ve asked me what I expect to achieve in writing all these letters – it’s simple, I’m telling them their kitchen is dirty but it’s their job to clean it.

If you’ve ever had any doubts that the system isn’t working, people like Jason Kitkat come along and prove it.

Marshy68, It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a sick society.

but chris, they arent breaking the law.

Law lords rule that sex in public is not illegal - Daily Record

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
but chris, they arent breaking the law.

Law lords rule that sex in public is not illegal - Daily Record

Cruising and the law: There is no law specifically prohibiting cruising, and sex in public places is not illegal as long as other people who might be offended cannot see you and are unaware that you are having sex.

Police guidelines advise that the police should only respond to complaints from the public and should not mount proactive operations designed to catch people cruising. However, there are circumstances when the police may mount patrols or intelligence led operations, for example if there are reports of homophobic attacks or robberies.

It is not against the law for people to loiter, engage in conversation or walk around a cruising ground with the purpose of meeting others. In other words, you cannot be arrested simply for going cruising.

Cottaging and the law: Cottaging is looking for/having sex in a toilet available for use by members of the public including toilets in the street, shops, leisure centres and other public transport venues such as train stations. The Sexual Offences Act 2003 makes it illegal to procure or engage in sex in a public toilet and is against the law for both gay and straight people. You can risk being arrested for cottaging regardless of whether you are being discreet or not. For example, having sex in a cubicle behind closed doors is still illegal

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Here is my follow up to Jason:

Dear Jason,

I appreciate you pointing me towards the ward councillors, (albeit the wrong ones). I eventually got to the correct people who’s ward includes Duke’s Mound.

Firstly, do you know where Duke’s Mound is? Just in case here are a few pointers:

Brighton is the city that you have been elected to run.
Duke’s Mound is in Brighton and very near to Brighton Marina
Brighton Marina is the big thing with the boats and it attracts many 1000’s of visitors.
Duke’s Mound is yards away from Volk’s Railway.
Volk’s Railway is the little train that runs along the seafront and it’s very popular to those who have young children.

This is how many would describe the area but you’ll find many more colourful descriptions of it online, try pinkuk.com I think they even have a map.

Mary Mears, ward councillor for Rottingdean coastal has provided me with even more information, see email below.

In summary, Mary and her colleagues share my serious concerns regarding Duke's Mound and inform me that it was in fact you that stopped approved plans in 2011 to regenerate the area.

Why did you do that?

You do have the authority to do something tangible because you are the leader of the council, as Mary say’s “the buck stops with you”.

Why haven’t you done anything?

Are you going to do anything?

What are you going to do and when?

If your strategy is to do nothing then can you at least put up a sign warning the public that you’ve legalized public indecency in this area?

“Leadership is solving problems. The day people stop bringing you their problems is the day you stop leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership” – Colin Powell

Many thanks
Chris

Jason's reply:

Dear Chris

My apologies about referring you to the wrong ward - the Electoral Commission's
ward map service informed me it was East Brighton ward, clearly in error.

Unfortunately Cllr Mears has failed to inform you that there was never
sufficient funding identified for the previous Conservative administration's
coach park plans. On taking control we discovered the plans were without any
viable business case to cover the costs. Hence the plans have not progressed.

As the council now operates in a committee system any of the ward councillors
would be free to bring forward requests to the appropriate committee seeking
changes to Duke's Mound for discussion and decision. The Green administration
has proposed a 2-3 year lease for a sand sculpture attraction on the Black Rock
site.

All the best,
Jason

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Jason's reply:

Dear Chris

site.

All the best,
Jason

My reply:

Hi Jason

For a long time I’ve thought that the system is broken, well this just goes to prove it. What a ridiculous, convoluted and ambiguous world you work in.

So the coach park plan failed because there was no money to build it, after all the work and money that went into getting plans approved etc the most fundamental part of the project was missing, that’s truly astonishing.

You now want to build a sand statue attraction at the site but my worry is you’ll tell me there’s a shortage of sand at the beach.

So after all that, there is no answer, there isn’t going to be an answer, there never has been an answer. Is that your answer?

This Jason is why the electorate don’t vote for people, they vote against people.

Many thanks
Chris.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So after all your letter writing and chasing the best these knobheads can offer you is a sandsculpture. The world is broken with these idiots running the show.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Jason's reply:

Dear Chris

site.

All the best,
Jason

Dear Jason.

I am very surprised that you say it was the Electoral Commission Service that
made the mistake not you,even more so as you mention the letting of the Black
Rock site for a sand sculpture attraction,

The report out-lining the proposal would have shown that it was in
Rottingdean Coastal ward!

You make mention that there was no funded business case for a coach park at
Black Rock,This concerns me as never at any time when in administration were we
told by officers that the scheme was under-funded,if this was the case and I
had been informed I would have ensured that it was, as I explained in my reply
to Mr Walker a coach park would also bring extra visitors which would support
the economy of the city.
,We checked with coach companies who confirmed that if the city had a coach park
(which we don't have ) they could increase their visit to the city by 30% or
more, bringing an extra boost to the economy of the city.

The honest answer would have been to say you stopped the scheme because your
administration did not support it.

On saying that now there is a committee system councillors can bring proposals
forward, you forgot to mention that on the spending committee Policy &
Resources your administration has the majority, so only schemes you support
will go through.

It's interesting that previous committee systems under conservative and Labour
administrations never had over all control of P&R !

Regards.

Mary.

Councillor Mary Mears

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Got a response from the police today:

Dear Chris

I have today been passed your complaint regarding Dukes mound and apologise that you have not had any correspondance from Sussex police before now.
I understand that you have spoken to a number of organisations across the city and would like the opportunity to meet with you to discuss this matter.
Supt Simon Nelson has arranged a mulit agency meeting to discuss both your complaint and the area in general. This will occur on Thursday 22nd March.
Once that meeting has taken place would you be able to meet with me so that I can both talk to you about your complaint, and let you know the outcome of the meeting.

Regards
Inspector Justin Burtenshaw
Safe in the City Delivery Unit
Brighton & Hove Division

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here