Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Family's shock at Brighton cruising spot - The Argus

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Another snippet from pinkuk.com, (others are too much to post on here)

Was here on the night of Pride. What are the council / police thinking of allowing a mainly straight rave full of what I thought were some aggressive chavs, and club 18-30 types right next to a big gay cruising area????? Its a recipe for violence and disaster!!!! While I was there some particularly nasty homophobic straight men, drove up, and seemed to enjoy forcing all the gays out of the temple area so they could set up their rave in that bit.(And the Police basically stood by and allowed it to happen) Basically it seems to me that Pride use to be a good party, but since it has turned from being "lesbian and gay pride" to "pride" it has been crashed and taken over by people who are just into having a free party, and who at best are not actually that tolerant or chilled about gay people, at worst are out right homophobes. There were too many people in the park, and the event needs to get back to being a community focused event primarily for gay men, and lesbians. As it is it feels like we started a good party, and now it is being crashed and ruined by undesirable elements. And the authorities in Brighton which use to respect the diversity, tolerance and and openess of the city have been complicit in this. So in short, I say let the straights have their rave. But in another part of the beach, so gay men can continue to go in peace to an area that is historically theirs. That way in the true spirit of Pride there will be no violence, no aggro, and everybody will be happy. Is that too much for the authorities in Brighton to understand and comprehend?????

Speechless!!!

Last edited:

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Another website profiling Dukes Mound, here's what gayscout.com have to say: (they even publish a nice map so you can find/avoid easily)

Just along from Brighton Marina, the local cruising area known as Dukes Mound stretches for about a quarter of a mile. There are plenty of discrete pathways and hidy-holes amongst the bushes and a recessed Egyptian-like temple at the Eastern-end if it is raining ;) Obviously very popular at night (with all the usual provisos about “queer bashing”, pickpockets etc.), but even during the day with some discretion.

Over a bench at 2pm during the school holidays in full view of anyone walking up the path is hardly what I'd call discretion!

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You saw a couple of wrong 'uns on a day trip to Brighton. Big deal. I've lived here 15 years and never seen what you describe. I'd move on and worry about your own town if I were you. This whole gay thing has been working fine in Brighton for years. Though I would say one thing, that area isn't what I'd call discrete if that's what they are looking for.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
You saw a couple of wrong 'uns on a day trip to Brighton. Big deal. I've lived here 15 years and never seen what you describe. I'd move on and worry about your own town if I were you. This whole gay thing has been working fine in Brighton for years. Though I would say one thing, that area isn't what I'd call discrete if that's what they are looking for.

It is my own town. Born in Sussex County Hospital and grew up in Hove, live in Worthing now because it's where my wife is from and it's where I can afford to live.

I've lived here 15 years

JCL, try 45 years.

Though I would say one thing, that area isn't what I'd call discrete if that's what they are looking for.

Thank you

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
worthing? Hells Bells old bean, get your own backyard tidied up first! In all seriousness, I doubt you'll ever stop the gays bumming at Dukes Mound and I think your experience was a one off or at least extremely rare. I wouldn't waste your energy mate.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
its just getting a tad creepy now @Chirs001.

I have this uncomfortable feeling that this might have been a road to Damascus moment for you and you are starting to enjoy your pinkuk.com and gayscout.com research a tad to much... I am having alan partridge shall I dance for you flash backs - make sure you clear your internet browsing history wouldn't want your daughter having any more nasty shocks.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is my own town. Born in Sussex County Hospital and grew up in Hove, live in Worthing now because it's where my wife is from and it's where I can afford to live.

JCL, try 45 years.

You have lived in brighton for 45 year and didn't know what happens at Dukes Mount??????????????????????

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
its just getting a tad creepy now @Chirs001.

I have this uncomfortable feeling that this might have been a road to Damascus moment for you and you are starting to enjoy your pinkuk.com and gayscout.com research a tad to much... I am having alan partridge shall I dance for you flash backs - make sure you clear your internet browsing history wouldn't want your daughter having any more nasty shocks.

I know who you are Marshy – You were the one they’d talk about around town as they put you down, your Mum could never understand why you had to leave, so don’t cry to me Marshy, cry to your soul.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
You have lived in brighton for 45 year and didn't know what happens at Dukes Mount??????????????????????

No I didn't, not in that scene.

Your missing the point though, know about it or not it's location is not fit for purpose - If we are to tolerate/accommodate it then it should be in an area where naive people like me and those from out of town can't stumble across it.

Last edited:

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
My letter campaign is clearly not the way to go, just hitting one brick wall after another.

Still no contact from anyone at the police to date.

Reply from Katy Bourne's office

Dear Chris

Thank you for your email to the Commissioner, Katy Bourne.

The Commissioner is aware of your emails, and is sorry to hear of the incidents you describe.

The concerns you describe are operational policing matters and therefore the responsibility of Sussex Police. You have therefore appropriately directed your concerns to members of Sussex Police who will be able to appropriately advise on the issues you raise.

The Commissioner takes all complaints and concerns very seriously. Mrs Bourne regularly meets with the Chief Constable and Sussex Police to work towards improving local policing issues. She is currently drafting the Police and Crime Plan which sets the priorities for policing and crime in Sussex. The issues you raise are therefore valuable for informing the work that can be done to ensure a safer Sussex.

Thank you once again for raising your concerns relating to acts of indecency, and for sharing your experience with the Commissioner.

Kind regards

OSPCC Policy & Governance Clerk

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I know who you are Marshy – You were the one they’d talk about around town as they put you down, your Mum could never understand why you had to leave, so don’t cry to me Marshy, cry to your soul.

Wow Chris serioulsy might be time to get some help?

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Reply from Katy Bourne's office

Dear Chris

Thank you for your email to the Commissioner, Katy Bourne.

The Commissioner is aware of your emails, and is sorry to hear of the incidents you describe.

The concerns you describe are operational policing matters and therefore the responsibility of Sussex Police. You have therefore appropriately directed your concerns to members of Sussex Police who will be able to appropriately advise on the issues you raise.

The Commissioner takes all complaints and concerns very seriously. Mrs Bourne regularly meets with the Chief Constable and Sussex Police to work towards improving local policing issues. She is currently drafting the Police and Crime Plan which sets the priorities for policing and crime in Sussex. The issues you raise are therefore valuable for informing the work that can be done to ensure a safer Sussex.

Thank you once again for raising your concerns relating to acts of indecency, and for sharing your experience with the Commissioner.

Kind regards

My reply;

Dear OSPCC Policy & Governance Clerk,

Thank you for your reply.

Seeing as it’s an operational police matter will the police be contacting me at any time? So far they’ve not responded or even acknowledged any of my correspondence, perhaps I’m contacting the wrong people?

Would you kindly forward this on to whoever that is and copy me in please?

All I simply want to know is the following:

Is Dukes Mound a no-go area for families like mine during the day?

Is Dukes Mound a no-go area for families like mine during the night?

If not, when will it be?

If never, then the decent people of Brighton, it’s many visitors, local businesses, stakeholders and potential investors need to know this.

Many thanks
Chris.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
My reply;

Dear OSPCC Policy & Governance Clerk,

Thank you for your reply.

Seeing as it’s an operational police matter will the police be contacting me at any time? So far they’ve not responded or even acknowledged any of my correspondence, perhaps I’m contacting the wrong people?

Would you kindly forward this on to whoever that is and copy me in please?

All I simply want to know is the following:

Is Dukes Mound a no-go area for families like mine during the day?

Is Dukes Mound a no-go area for families like mine during the night?

If not, when will it be?

If never, then the decent people of Brighton, it’s many visitors, local businesses, stakeholders and potential investors need to know this.

Many thanks
Chris.

Dear Chris,

I have asked Sussex Police for advice on the questions you ask and about the delay in response. I assure you I will contact you when I have further details.

I understand your frustration, and am sorry that I cannot directly assist you further than this.

I will contact you again in due course.

Kind regards,

Office of the Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here