Family's shock at Brighton cruising spot - The Argus

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Let us know when you make the Daily Male

windy

Feb 24, 2013
Cant believe no one has taken this up. Seems to me on one gives a shit about decent people these days !!!

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Cant believe no one has taken this up. Seems to me on one gives a shit about decent people these days !!!

I know, still nothing from the police. Despite MP's, the council and the crime commissioner all swerving it and telling me it's a police matter - it's been two weeks today!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I know, still nothing from the police. Despite MP's, the council and the crime commissioner all swerving it and telling me it's a police matter - it's been two weeks today!

There is a very big clue as to why no answer, no one is bothered

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

I think you need to go down to dukes mound with your video camera and get some evidence - then you can take the evidence to the police. Perhaps also take your getto blaster and you can play your bronski beat albums which you seem to adore quoting from. Good luck do tell us how you get on x

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
I think you need to go down to dukes mound with your video camera and get some evidence - then you can take the evidence to the police. Perhaps also take your getto blaster and you can play your bronski beat albums which you seem to adore quoting from. Good luck do tell us how you get on x

Or we simply cut out the middle man and you just hand over the footage of you and Beach Hut? We can add the soundtrack later!

Cheers poppet!

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Dear Chris

Thank you for your email. I'm very sorry to hear about what you and your family
experienced.

I see that you have had a response from our Community Safety Team and have been
in touch with Sussex Police.

There have been long running tensions and concerns about this area that go back
to well before I was a councillor. I cannot speak for Sussex Police and how they
view the issue. However like them we do have very limited resources and do need
to prioritise how they resources used. So there may be an element of managed
toleration going on. I'm sorry to say it, but I don't believe there is a easy
permanent resolution to this issue. However you should not have been put into
that situation with your family and I will raise it with the Police Borough
commander at our next meeting.

I will continue to be copied in to the emails from council officers on this
matter.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions or
queries.

All the best,
Jason

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Jason

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I have and will continue to copy you into emails that I send or receive regarding this matter.

As well as contacting you and the police, I have also spoken to the Argus Newspaper who ran a story on this today, they have also put their own view across in their comments section.

I fully appreciate that resources are limited and I don’t expect this to improve for you or the police anytime soon. Perhaps the newly appointed police and crime commissioner has a resolution that’s better than “managed toleration”, after all two of her five priorities in her manifesto are – “visible & effective neighbourhood policing” and “tackling anti-social behaviour”.

You say “you don’t believe there is an easy permanent resolution to this issue”.

Your city clean department have informed me that it clears used condoms and lubrication containers every day from Dukes Mound, they also sweep the area three times a week and another department called City Parks have a similar cleaning schedule but they delve deeper into the shrubs.

How about this for an easy permanent resolution with the added value of saving a large resource from your city and park cleaning departments - Simply dig out all the bushes and open the area up, this will make the area easier to maintain, easier to police and people will be less inclined to use the area for public acts of indecency.

Seeing as there are long running concerns and tensions about the area then it’s got to be the right time for Brighton authority to do something tangible. My solution is simple and cheap and will mean that families like mine can continue to enjoy a day out in that part of Brighton and as a consequence businesses will invest even more in the area.

I am very interested to hear your comments in regard to this.

A reply from Jason Kitkat:

Dear Chris

Thanks for your message. There are ward councillors for this area who should be
involved in any decision and will know more about the detailed history of the
situation. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to come to a summary view on this.
There may well be a Local Action Team or other residents' association involved
as well.

The East Brighton Ward councillors information can be viewed on this page:
Brighton Hove City Council - Your Councillors

All the best,
Jason

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
A reply from Jason Kitkat:

Dear Chris

Thanks for your message. There are ward councillors for this area who should be
involved in any decision and will know more about the detailed history of the
situation. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to come to a summary view on this.
There may well be a Local Action Team or other residents' association involved
as well.

The East Brighton Ward councillors information can be viewed on this page:
Brighton Hove City Council - Your Councillors

All the best,
Jason

Dear East Brighton Ward Councillors,

I have been in contact with Jason Kitkat regarding an incident in East Brighton that took place on 19th February. I have copied my original letter and correspondence to and from Jason since at the bottom of this email.

What concerns me the most is that the authorities accept that this area is a well known cruising area and they deploy a strategy of “managed toleration” to it. I am aware there is no law specifically prohibiting cruising, but public indecency is illegal especially if it’s in an area where people who might be offended could easily witness it.

Dukes Mound is on Brighton’s seafront and a pebble’s throw away from family attractions, therefore it’s highly likely many visitors to that part of town would be deeply offended by incidents like this.

Not only that but if you Google Dukes Mound you’ll find a variety of websites with those words in their content, there are many but the one at the very top of the list is called pinkuk.com, this site describes Dukes Mound as follows:

Located next to Brighton Marina Dukes mound stretches for about a quarter of a mile with lots of hiding places and a big temple at one end that's very popular. Popular 24 hours a day!

In the review section for Dukes Mound on pinkuk.com:

Rupert here. Oh boy, what a time my mate and I had!. Ok, it was Pride weekend, so doubtless much busier than usual, but there were at least a hundred guys there--mostly in the 'Temple'. All sorts and some nice young ones. Police driving along the road below took not a blind bit of notice. A long walk from the James Street area of Brighton, but well worth it! The pathways down to the temple are not now so popular-- most of them are too brightly lit up for the purpose.

Dukes Mound’s location is clearly not a fit area to employ a strategy of “managed toleration”, it is subject to long running tensions and concerns and is advertised to the world as an un-policed 24 hour site for this type of activity.

What I want to know is:
Will you be doing anything about this?
If yes, when and what?
If no, why not?

Yours sincerely,
Chris

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011

I have been in contact with Jason Kitkat regarding an incident in East Brighton that took place on 19th February. I have copied my original letter and correspondence to and from Jason since at the bottom of this email.

What concerns me the most is that the authorities accept that this area is a well known cruising area and they deploy a strategy of “managed toleration” to it. I am aware there is no law specifically prohibiting cruising, but public indecency is illegal especially if it’s in an area where people who might be offended could easily witness it.

Dukes Mound is on Brighton’s seafront and a pebble’s throw away from family attractions, therefore it’s highly likely many visitors to that part of town would be deeply offended by incidents like this.

Not only that but if you Google Dukes Mound you’ll find a variety of websites with those words in their content, there are many but the one at the very top of the list is called pinkuk.com, this site describes Dukes Mound as follows:

Located next to Brighton Marina Dukes mound stretches for about a quarter of a mile with lots of hiding places and a big temple at one end that's very popular. Popular 24 hours a day!

Rupert here. Oh boy, what a time my mate and I had!. Ok, it was Pride weekend, so doubtless much busier than usual, but there were at least a hundred guys there--mostly in the 'Temple'. All sorts and some nice young ones. Police driving along the road below took not a blind bit of notice. A long walk from the James Street area of Brighton, but well worth it! The pathways down to the temple are not now so popular-- most of them are too brightly lit up for the purpose.

Dukes Mound’s location is clearly not a fit area to employ a strategy of “managed toleration”, it is subject to long running tensions and concerns and is advertised to the world as an un-policed 24 hour site for this type of activity.

What I want to know is:
If yes, when and what?
If no, why not?

Yours sincerely,
Chris

Dear Chris,

Firstly can I say that your family’s experience when walking in this area was totally unacceptable. It is true to say that this is a long running issue where the police, council and other agencies have worked together to tackle it. In the past the council has carried out some fairly extensive works in the area such as additional and brighter lighting, cutting down and clearing the bushes and undergrowth.

This area is not in East Brighton Ward and so we are not the ward councillors. Dukes Mound is within Rottingdean Coastal Ward and the councillors are Cllrs David Smith, Mary Mears and Lynda Hyde. They will be able to give you far more detail of the current approach being taken by the police and council and whether there is any further specific action planned since this incident occurred.

Best wishes,

Councillor Gill Mitchell

East Brighton Ward

-----------------------------------------

I HAVE FORWARDED THIS ONTO THE CORRECT COUNCILLORS

Last edited:

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011

What I want to know is:
If yes, when and what?
If no, why not?

Yours sincerely,
Chris

Dear Chris

This was raised with Ch Supt Bartlett the commander of police in Brighton and Hove at the city's Community Safety Forum last week.

They have assured me of additional patrols and work with their LGBT Liaison team and the council's Community Safety Team to address this issue.

It is not a straightforward issue to solve and we have been attempting to deal with it for a number of years.

Yours sincerely.

Councillor Warren Morgan
Labour and Cooperative, East Brighton
Deputy Leader of the Labour and Cooperative Group

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011

What I want to know is:
If yes, when and what?
If no, why not?

Yours sincerely,
Chris

And a reply from SPCC

Dear Mr Walker,

I have received an update from Sussex Police relating to the progress of your complaint. The Acting Superintendent for Brighton and Hove is now sighted on your case and has allocated it to an Inspector. You should expect imminent contact regarding the process of the matter.

Again, sorry I cannot directly assist you but I hope you are assured with the knowledge that your concerns are being looked into and that you will soon be hearing from a point of contact to whom you can direct your queries.

Please don’t hesitate to get back in contact should you not hear back from Sussex Police.

Kind regards
Office of the Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
chris get over it mate. Only a fool would walk through dukes mound with kids. What exactly are you hoping to achieve with all these letters?

windy

Feb 24, 2013
Its all very well for people to say " only a fool would walk through dukes mound with kids " but not everyone is aware of what goes on there !!! The point is if you want a quick shag go do it in private not on the seafront where families are likely be. I for one hope all these letters from this chap will make the authorities do something about moving them on so everyone can enjoy dukes mound, if that's too much to ask then there should be some sort of sign warning this is a no go area for people/families who would be affended by what is going on there.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
chris get over it mate. Only a fool would walk through dukes mound with kids. What exactly are you hoping to achieve with all these letters?

Who is the bigger fool?
He who accepts the wrong? or He who tries to right the wrong?

'We wunt be druv' is a traditional Sussex phrase meant to reflect the inhabitants' natural antipathy to being pushed around, particularly by figures of self-appointed authority or outsiders.

Last edited:

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Its all very well for people to say " only a fool would walk through dukes mound with kids " but not everyone is aware of what goes on there !!! The point is if you want a quick shag go do it in private not on the seafront where families are likely be. I for one hope all these letters from this chap will make the authorities do something about moving them on so everyone can enjoy dukes mound, if that's too much to ask then there should be some sort of sign warning this is a no go area for people/families who would be affended by what is going on there.

Thank you Windy

'We wunt be druv' is a traditional Sussex phrase meant to reflect the inhabitants' natural antipathy to being pushed around, particularly by figures of self-appointed authority or outsiders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here