Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Planning Application - Lewes DC recommended NOT to object; Falmer PC do object

can someone raise an injunction against the falmerites, to stop these malicious objections?

they must be minted if they can afford to keep on a lawyer(?), to advise on all this..

and to be honest, the village is hardly a beauty spot. have seen a better looking cess pit.
Falmer Parish Council haven't used a lawyer to prepare this objection. Parish councils comment on planning applications all the time. It's one of the main reasons they exist.

The only reason I stumbled across the Falmer objection last night was that I was looking on LDC's website to see if they had included the comments that I had drafted (on behalf of Firle Parish Council) about an entirely different planning application in our parish. [We're supporting an application to convert redundant farm buildings to residential use, but want conditions attached]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be fair, when Lord B mentions 'bad news' in a Falmer context, I do poop my pants a little bit.

It's interesting to see FPC and SDJC can't even agree on things to disagree about.

SDJC support the idea of the infill being deposited locally, FPC object.

SDJC support the idea of a college instead of businesses in the East Stand. FPC object.

And in reading FPC's objections, you get to realise that Melanie Cuttress gives a masterclass in contradiction. As for this...

"It also did not have to consider the stadium as a major hospitality venue and how this could affect other venues in Brighton and Hove such as the sea front hotels." Since when did Falmer Parish Council dictate the travel and tourism policy of a neighbouring city council with whom its relationship is at arm's length?

The differences between the positions of the two groups also struck me when I read LB's post last night. I've now read it again twice and every time the FPC representation seems more bizarre; the arrogance portrayed by the FPC and Mrs Cuttress in the final couple of sentences about the potential impact on other venues and hotels in B&H is astounding.

Lord B, what happens if the Planning Dept throws out our application? Does work have to stop as the building will no longer comply with the new planning regs?
Planners aren't allowed by law to stand in the way of approved developments complying with planning or building regulations. The Albion's planning application has already been discussed at very great length with the officers in the City Council's planning department. If there were unresolved issues, they would have identified them before the application was formally submitted for consideration by the Planning Committee.

There is one aspect of the current application that could - in theory - be rejected by the Planning Committee. That's the proposal to dump the surplus chalk on the field to the south of Village Way. If that was thrown out, it wouldn't delay the scheme, because the Albion already have planning permission to remove the chalk to another site.

But even Lewes District Council and the South Downs Joint Committee prefer the new proposal. It's extremely unlikely that the City Council planners would now think differently - especially since the City Council have already agreed to the proposal, in their capacity as owners of the land on which the chalk will be dumped.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Falmer Parish Cuio
Falmqr P
Falmer Prii

Christ, he's RIGHT you know

I guess the planning committee has changed somewhat since the original stadium was approved by the council. Do we know how the current members are likely to vote?

I know we can't take anything for granted, but is there any real danger the council will not approve this application?
These are the current members of the City Council's Planning Committee:-

Councillor Lynda Hyde (Conservative, Rottingdean Coastal) (Chairman)
Councillor Geoffrey Wells (Conservative, Woodingdean) (Deputy Chairman)
Councillor Dawn Barnett (Conservative, Hangleton & Knoll)
Councillor Bob Carden (Labour, North Portslade) (Opposition Spokesperson)
Councillor Ian Davey (Green, St Peter's & North Laine)
Councillor Les Hamilton (Labour, South Portslade)
Councillor Amy Kennedy (Green, Preston Park)
Councillor Juliet McCaffery (Labour, Preston Park)
Councillor Ken Norman (Conservative, Withdean)
Councillor David Smart (Conservative, Hangleton & Knoll)
Councillor Paul Steedman (Green, Queens Park)
Councillor Mrs Carol Theobald (Conservative, Patcham)
Mr J Small (Non-Voting Co-Optee)
Mr R Pennington (Non-Voting Co-Optee)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As was announced months ago ... the application for the new City College building next to the stadium is still being worked up.

The Harveys is yet to be ordered. I guess you're hoping for Best Bitter. Will you OBJECT if it turns out to be Old?

Actually, I'm rather a big fan of old, had a couple of pints last night. Would be quite happy with either thanks.:clap2:

When will B&HCC (naturally) grant us permission to make these changes?

(see, optimism!)
Meetings of the Planning Committee are scheduled for the following dates:-

14 Jan 2009 2.00pm
4 Feb 2009 2.00pm
25 Feb 2009 2.00pm

Sometimes they hold a Special meeting, especially if it's a major application.

The programme for a Special Meeting gives an idea of what happens. This is the programme for the Special Meeting next week about the Brighton Marina planning application:-

Meeting Procedure:

(i) Presentation by the relevant officer(s) in respect of the application;

(ii) 30 minute period (in total) for those speaking as objectors to the application;

(iii) 30 minute period (in total) for those speaking on behalf of the applicants/agents in respect of the application;

(iv) Local Ward Councillors invited to speak either against or in favour of the application;

(v) Committee Members' opportunity to seek clarification from any of the parties in respect of the information presented/given in relation to the application;

(vi) Committee Members debate the matter before them;

(vii) Committee Decision.

These are the current members of the City Council's Planning Committee:-

Councillor Lynda Hyde (Conservative, Rottingdean Coastal) (Chairman)
Councillor Geoffrey Wells (Conservative, Woodingdean) (Deputy Chairman)
Councillor Dawn Barnett (Conservative, Hangleton & Knoll)
Councillor Bob Carden (Labour, North Portslade) (Opposition Spokesperson)
Councillor Ian Davey (Green, St Peter's & North Laine)
Councillor Les Hamilton (Labour, South Portslade)
Councillor Amy Kennedy (Green, Preston Park)
Councillor Juliet McCaffery (Labour, Preston Park)
Councillor Ken Norman (Conservative, Withdean)
Councillor David Smart (Conservative, Hangleton & Knoll)
Councillor Paul Steedman (Green, Queens Park)
Councillor Mrs Carol Theobald (Conservative, Patcham)
Mr J Small (Non-Voting Co-Optee)
Mr R Pennington (Non-Voting Co-Optee)

And they all have individual email accounts at B&HCC (see below) so you can carry out your own individual lobbying, just as my 76yo mum from Hangleton is about to do. Cllrs Barnett and Smart could be having a long day.
Remember the planning application number is BH2008/02732 - see the sticky if you need more info.

Brighton Hove City Council - Your councillors

As a cake, bread and pasty fiend of some repute, I can give pleasure in reporting that Forfar's Bakery still have not had any of their doors darkened by my presence since the disgraceful chicanery and skullduggery of their owners came to light.
Anyone who wants to attend the Planning Committee meeting (which will be held at Hove Town Hall) will be relieved to know that Forfars is no longer the nearest food outlet to the venue. Bagelman has now moved into the area, with a shop on New Church Road. I recommend him highly.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
3. Disposal of spoil to the south
This was not proposed previously as it would not have been passed. The previously proposed arrangement for disposing of spoil off site by lorry was acceptable to the Secretary of State, and the vehicle movements arising from the process were of no concern to the Parish Council. The proposed re-contouring is not acceptable, as downland is naturally sculpted and not flat, the farmland will be damaged by the disturbance and will become more permeable and prone to leaching and the land will not be as productive as it is now for 5-10 years. Far more dust would be generated by a tipping operation than by lorries removing the spoil from the land.

I have to agree with them on this point so instead can we use the spoil to bury that f*cking village and all of its backward inbred inhabitants so we don't have to listen to anymore of their monotonous drivel.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Hello Arthur ...

:bigwave:

picking through my EVERY WORD yet again, trying to detect subtleties of meaning that aren't there?

Well not really. You said in answer to whether it will slow down the development

It won't.

If you are so sure it won't please explain why it's bad news? As I said in my last post if it's not going to have any affect on the building timescales or have any cost implications then I can't see how it's bad news.

Unless it really is bad news and will add yet another delay costing the club another X million?

Carry on......

........Nurse was my favourite. What about you? :lolol:

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Meetings of the Planning Committee are scheduled for the following dates:-

14 Jan 2009 2.00pm
4 Feb 2009 2.00pm
25 Feb 2009 2.00pm

Sometimes they hold a Special meeting, especially if it's a major application.

The programme for a Special Meeting gives an idea of what happens. This is the programme for the Special Meeting next week about the Brighton Marina planning application:-

Meeting Procedure:

(i) Presentation by the relevant officer(s) in respect of the application;

(ii) 30 minute period (in total) for those speaking as objectors to the application;

(iii) 30 minute period (in total) for those speaking on behalf of the applicants/agents in respect of the application;

(iv) Local Ward Councillors invited to speak either against or in favour of the application;

(v) Committee Members' opportunity to seek clarification from any of the parties in respect of the information presented/given in relation to the application;

(vi) Committee Members debate the matter before them;

(vii) Committee Decision.

So, long story short - We'll hear at the end of one of those meetings?

And they all have individual email accounts at B&HCC (see below) so you can carry out your own individual lobbying, just as my 76yo mum from Hangleton is about to do. Cllrs Barnett and Smart could be having a long day.
Remember the planning application number is BH2008/02732 - see the sticky if you need more info.

Brighton Hove City Council - Your councillors
Can I suggest that people do NOT - at this stage - lobby individual members of the Planning Committee.

There are rather complicated rules about councillors responding to lobbying in the run-up to them making a Planning decision. If there is a suspicion that these rules have been broken, it gives opponents of the scheme an opportunity to mount legal challenges.

This would delay any decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here