Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Plus Nico has just commented him getting alongside pushed Lewis wide and off the racing line which he is entitled to hold … so this could be the actual act that changes the result.

That would be a great ‘get-out’ for the FIA & Masi. They could just blame it on Verstappen and brush their mistakes around the safety car under the carpet.

On a side note, 5Live has reminded me why I can’t stand Jolyon Palmer. He is a massive Palace fan.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No. The FIA are like the referees and PGMOL; close ranks and protect each other.

But this is why I wonder if the overtake might be given, it’s then a Max failure rather than a Masi / FIA failure.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If one car has it’s nose ahead at the finishing line, however, they’d win.

Good point - but not sure they’d have won by overtaking the second place car.

I can understand the appeal based on the decision to let just the cars between LH & MV pass the safety car but to try and decide a world championship on whether one car went a few inches in front of another for a split second whilst behind the SC seems extremely petty.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I can understand the appeal based on the decision to let just the cars between LH & MV pass the safety car but to try and decide a world championship on whether one car went a few inches in front of another for a split second whilst behind the SC seems extremely petty.

Them's the rules

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They were anticipating having to protest Max driving Lewis off the track. I bet he knows the FIA rulebook every which way round.

I think Schumacher got done for overtaking under the safety car to intimidate someone (maybe Hill). My memory is failing me but there was a punishment I believe. I can’t remember if he actually got all the way past and then gave the position back or if it was only the front of his car.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017

There is precedent for time penalties being given for overtaking under safety car - Hamilton in Valencia 2010 for example. Why should it matter whether it is the first or last lap of the season?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Being ahead is not the same as having been overtaken - F1 recognises this in their award for the most overtakes in a season.

I’m interested to hear more on the rules on this as I cannot remember a single SC restart where the guy in second even gets alongside before the front car floors it, let alone ahead - why has no other driver ever got alongside like Max has done? If that’s allowed I’m shocked it hasn’t previously happened in a similar fashion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They should take Horner in. He normally gets his own way. :p

It was Horner who forced Massi’s hand to start the race again, very very weak from Massi to allow himself to be railroaded. The race should never have been restarted as all the unlapped cars weren’t past. Shambles from Massi

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
So with the safety car- is the rule that they allow all lapped cars to overtake and then do one full lap before the safety car comes in and the race re-starts?

If so, allowing just 4 cars to unlap and then re-starting the race without the required extra lap does seem pretty rogue.

I know they are always obsessed with not finishing the race behind the safety car- but to throw the rule book in the bin to achieve that seems- fishy.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Jake Humphrey has called it as the result being overturned and Lewis getting the title.

But then, remember what he said about Brighton fans having to admire the style of play of his Norwich team when they got promoted (the time before last). [emoji848]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Jake Humphrey has called it as the result being overturned and Lewis getting the title.

But then, remember what he said about Brighton fans having to admire the style of play of his Norwich team when they got promoted (the time before last). [emoji848]

It’s a great way of getting lots of retweets in one hit!! :lolol:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I reckon Latifi doesn't want to walk too close to the Merc garage during packing up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here