Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Jake Humphrey has called it as the result being overturned and Lewis getting the title.

But then, remember what he said about Brighton fans having to admire the style of play of his Norwich team when they got promoted (the time before last). [emoji848]

What a nob! :lolol:

Screenshot_20211212-164316_Chrome.png

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Mercedes have lodged a complaint.

Presumably, given the strength of feeling from Mercedes, if the roles were reversed, Lewis would have just sat behind Max and allowed him to take the chequered flag and world championship?

What a'load of bull.
Little Jack Horner has appealed constantly about every ruling against Mad Max.
Hamilton had that race won until the last lap safety car ruling.
Total fix.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What a'load of bull.
Little Jack Horner has appealed constantly about every ruling against Mad Max.
Hamilton had that race won until the last lap safety car ruling.
Total fix.

The teams should not be allowed to converse with race control during the race imo, especially when you have a wet lettuce like Massi in charge

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interview with Lando Norris is interesting

[tweet]1470064384487694336[/tweet]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mercedes almost have a duty to the sport to appeal to force F1 to get its house in order so this farce doesn't happen again.

The rules weren't applied and that is wrong, regardless of who wins.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
From Jack Nicholls

The long and short of it is the FIA have changed the rules in order to get a one-lap race.

They have made them up on the fly.

It's not sportingly fair for the whole field because some lapped cars were not allowed to un-lap themselves.

Are the FIA allowed to make up the rules as they go along?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1470075911961731074[/tweet]

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not having watched it, I'm a bit confused by this 'un-lapping' stuff, and I've read the regulations but am none the wiser.

Safety car comes out, it's LH/MV 1&2. Safety car goes off - it's still 1-2 but MV seems to be right behind LH instead of further back. What significance do the other cars have?

Sorry if being dim.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not having watched it, I'm a bit confused by this 'un-lapping' stuff, and I've read the regulations but am none the wiser.

Safety car comes out, it's LH/MV 1&2. Safety car goes off - it's still 1-2 but MV seems to be right behind LH instead of further back. What significance do the other cars have?

Sorry if being dim.

If the cars lapped by LH but not MV are still there, Max has to pass 6 cars to win in one lap. With them gone it becomes 1 car he’s a lot closer to.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
From Jack Nicholls

The long and short of it is the FIA have changed the rules in order to get a one-lap race.

They have made them up on the fly.

It's not sportingly fair for the whole field because some lapped cars were not allowed to un-lap themselves.

Are the FIA allowed to make up the rules as they go along?

Assuming Max gets off for getting ahead of Hamilton behind the safety car, the FIA has two almighty elements in their rules to try and fudge in front of the Mercedes’ lawyer.

1. “The decision to only allow some lapped cars to unlap themselves is unusual as Article 48.12 suggests that the message ‘LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE’ should be sent to all competitors.” AS

2. “The regulation is then explicit about when the race can be restarted.

It states: “Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.

“If the clerk of the course considers track conditions are unsuitable for overtaking the message "OVERTAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED" will be sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system “

This clause suggests that with the lapped car message having come out on lap 57, then the restart could only come at the end of the ‘following lap’- so lap 58, which was the end of the race.” AS

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If the cars lapped by LH but not MV are still there, Max has to pass 6 cars to win in one lap. With them gone it becomes 1 car he’s a lot closer to.

Ah - thanks. Yes, that makes sense, I see now. Although I just assumed that when the safety car came out, they all just stayed in a line as they were. That is MV would just tootle round five cars behind LH.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Sorry if being dim.

Before the safety car there were 4 cars between Hamilton and Max. Lewis had lapped these cars but Max hadn't, so Max would have had these cars to pass before he could catch Lewis.

Normally under a safety car those cars that have been lapped are allowed to unlap themselves and join up at the back of the pack, so the cars on the track are in the order that are currently placed in the race.

However today they only allowed the 4 cars between Lewis and Max through, the rest of the lapped cars were not allowed through. Allowing all of them through would have taken too long and the race would have finished under the safety car as not all the lapped cars would have passed the safety car, and it couldn't have left the track before the final lap started.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Before the safety car there were 4 cars between Hamilton and Max. Lewis had lapped these cars but Max hadn't, so Max would have had these cars to pass before he could catch Lewis.

Normally under a safety car those cars that have been lapped are allowed to unlap themselves and join up at the back of the pack, so the cars on the track are in the order that are currently placed in the race.

However today they only allowed the 4 cars between Lewis and Max through, the rest of the lapped cars were not allowed through. Allowing all of them through would have taken too long and the race would have finished under the safety car as not all the lapped cars would have passed the safety car, and it couldn't have left the track before the final lap started.

Thank you.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The other element is that 3 drivers were not allowed to unlap themselves for no apparent reason? I wonder if their teams are protesting? Aston Martin do have a Merc engine………

“No precedent in the rules to let only 5 cars un-lap themselves and not let Ricciardo, Stroll and Schumacher; it is clearly NOT FAIR for those 3 drivers. F1 loses all sporting respect if this stands.”BBC

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ah - thanks. Yes, that makes sense, I see now. Although I just assumed that when the safety car came out, they all just stayed in a line as they were. That is MV would just tootle round five cars behind LH.

In many ways that might make more sense than what they do TBH in a designated place on the track (longest straight probably)

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
Assuming Max gets off for getting ahead of Hamilton behind the safety car, the FIA has two almighty elements in their rules to try and fudge in front of the Mercedes’ lawyer.

1. “The decision to only allow some lapped cars to unlap themselves is unusual as Article 48.12 suggests that the message ‘LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE’ should be sent to all competitors.” AS

2. “The regulation is then explicit about when the race can be restarted.

It states: “Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.

“If the clerk of the course considers track conditions are unsuitable for overtaking the message "OVERTAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED" will be sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system “

This clause suggests that with the lapped car message having come out on lap 57, then the restart could only come at the end of the ‘following lap’- so lap 58, which was the end of the race.” AS

Congratulations to Max on a great title campaign. If it wasn’t for him Mercedes would of wrapped it up 8 races ago. He took Mercedes on in a inferior car and became the new champion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here