Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lewis conducting himself well so far despite what must be absolutely gutting considering he had that race in his pocket. Leaving it to Toto and the team to do what they need to. Would be massively surprised if anything comes of the protest that changes the result though.

I think Lewis has been stiffed badly today, get a feeling that they can't/won't change the result.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It would have been a complete anti-climax if the race had finished under the safety car.

But if that's what the rules say should have happened then that's what should have happened. Otherwise it's like a ref playing an extra ten minutes of extra time for a team because they're on top and need to score to win the league/stay up. Or a penalty given for that reason.

I guess we'll find out after the protest just what exactly the rules are and whether finishing under the safety car is what should have happened or if how it ended is perfectly legitimate.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Red Bull got lucky and benefited from their pit stops. Max deserves his title, he did all he had to today.

Bit gutted personally but it was a thrilling race.

I really don’t think they should even consider changing the result but they should sack Massi immediately, much too weak to be in charge

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think Lewis has been stiffed badly today, get a feeling that they can't/won't change the result.

If the rules are not clear enough, they won’t change the result. However, Lewis was really unlucky with the FIA decisions during the race, it sort of equals it up if Max is really unlucky with the FIA decisions after the race. We’ll see.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Watching it live, I thought Max was being a bit silly there as it would only take Lewis giving the brakes a quick dab for Max to be in front of him and falling foul of overtaking when behind the safety car.

Sky have just replayed it and it looks like Max did nudge ahead once or twice.

He'll only have himself to blame if he picks up a 5-second penalty and loses the title for that.

He did nudge ahead for a second or two and it was definitely not clever at all. I think you are meant to stay on the racing line when behind the safety car and he didn't need to put more pressure on Lewis when he was on brand new soft tyres. versus Lewis's worn tyres.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Watching it live, I thought Max was being a bit silly there as it would only take Lewis giving the brakes a quick dab for Max to be in front of him and falling foul of overtaking when behind the safety car.

Sky have just replayed it and it looks like Max did nudge ahead once or twice.

He'll only have himself to blame if he picks up a 5-second penalty and loses the title for that.

What is an “overtake”?

In the F1 awards for the most overtakes a car has to clear the car not simply get the nose ahead for a split second.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He did nudge ahead for a second or two and it was definitely not clever at all. I think you are meant to stay on the racing line when behind the safety car and he didn't need to put more pressure on Lewis when he was on brand new soft tyres. versus Lewis's worn tyres.

Plus Nico has just commented him getting alongside pushed Lewis wide and off the racing line which he is entitled to hold … so this could be the actual act that changes the result.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
But if that's what the rules say should have happened then that's what should have happened. Otherwise it's like a ref playing an extra ten minutes of extra time for a team because they're on top and need to score to win the league/stay up. Or a penalty given for that reason.

I guess we'll find out after the protest just what exactly the rules are and whether finishing under the safety car is what should have happened or if how it ended is perfectly legitimate.

Absolutely, it was arguably heading to anti-climax anyway, less than finishing behind a saftey car but more than a dual right to the end. It would have been ludicrous though to say to Hamilton:

"oh new rule just come in Lewis. To make things more exciting you have to slow down and let Verstappen catch you up, we want more racing and avoid an anti-climax"

Which is effectively what they did :lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It is unlikely that they'll change anything now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What is an “overtake”?

In the F1 awards for the most overtakes a car has to clear the car not simply get the nose ahead for a split second.

If one car has it’s nose ahead at the finishing line, however, they’d win.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
What is an “overtake”?

Througout the season Red Bull have frequently insisted that throwing their car vaguely alongside their opponent taking a corner constitutes being ahead

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If one car has it’s nose ahead at the finishing line, however, they’d win.

What a palaver, how is 'overtaken' defined in F1 rule terms, is it fully ahead of the car, or just slightly ahead?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here