Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Exactly. The protest clearly isn’t with RB - they’ve done nothing wrong and no suggestion they have. But if a SC is deployed and you have a set of rules that determines if you pit or not, then those rules change at the drop of a hat - you have a significant reason for protest.

You're right, of course.

However, Bono (I think it was) clearly told Lewis on team radio that they didn't pit because they'd have lost track position.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I don't think there is anyone NOT confused, is there? When cars unlap under a safety car do ALL cars need to unlap or is it race directors discretion? As far as I can make out it is the latter, in which case Michael Massey has effectively determined the result.

That maybe the case but I cannot see it being overturned and even if it were it would very hard on Max and Red Bull when it’s not there fault

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
You're right, of course.

However, Bono (I think it was) clearly told Lewis on team radio that they didn't pit because they'd have lost track position.

Correct

He told him not to pit because he would lose track position and looking at the rules would have known the chances were the race would not re-start.

However those rules weren’t followed so understandably Mercedes are upset.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm just trying to illustrate my point that I think both teams are remarkably similar and would generally do the same thing (moan to all and sundry and lodge a complaint if they can) if they were on the receiving end of something they feel unjust.

But it doesn’t work as an analogy.

If Dan Burn gets sent off wrongly on Wednesday night, and Potter shows his disagreement, would we also expect him to be just as appalled if Coady was sent off the same thing a few minutes later? I wouldn’t.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Mercedes lodge two protests:

Seems Max overtook Lewis under the safety car (his car was ahead). A 5 second penalty would be sufficient to sort this mess out.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Whilst I can’t see them taking this away from Max, it’s going to set an unfortunate precedent of race directors breaking the rules that might well see a lot of people switch off.

Ultimately, F1 is about to decide whether it is a sport or whether it’s sports entertainment. If it’s sport then the rules should be enforced as written which means taking some decisions which might prove huge. If they believe they’re in the sports entertainment industry then they can make the rules up as they go along, but lose credibility to enforce the rules they have.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don’t think it was a mistake. I think they knew exactly what they were doing.

Don’t understand these conspiracy theories - if race officials were so determined to give the race to MV why didn’t they insist LH give back the place on lap 1?

It would have been a complete anti-climax if the race had finished under the safety car.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Ultimately, F1 is about to decide whether it is a sport or whether it’s sports entertainment. If it’s sport then the rules should be enforced as written which means taking some decisions which might prove huge. If they believe they’re in the sports entertainment industry then they can make the rules up as they go along, but lose credibility to enforce the rules they have.

Aren’t all professional sports part of the entertainment industry?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You're right, of course.

Irrelevant if rules and procedures aren’t followed. The argument is they could have done. You know the messages they broadcast are selective and not generally live? There’s a lot more said than is broadcast, they select what is played hence a delay.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What an opportunity to win over more supporters and followers. I appreciate I don't watch because I don't fully understand and this race did nothing to help. Only bit I understood which was good was when Max team mate was in lead and trying to stop Lewis overtaking. As far as I was concerned Hamilton was 14 sec ahead with not long to go and did'nt have a clue after that which was a pity

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Don’t understand these conspiracy theories - if race officials were so determined to give the race to MV why didn’t they insist LH give back the place on lap 1?

It would have been a complete anti-climax if the race had finished under the safety car.

It would have been yes, but it seems like that would have been the correct outcome. You can't make up rules (or possibly protocols?) as as you go along just to avoid an anti-climax.

There has to be some integrity in the competition in the first place, otherwise an anti-climax would never be an option, it could always be engineered away.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Exactly this. Rule are rules, if he wanted racing he could have just had a VSC whilst removing the crashed car or carried on racing. Making it up as they go a long. Rules are there for a reason. Imagine if it was the other way round. Horner would be doing everything to overturn it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Aren’t all professional sports part of the entertainment industry?

You misunderstand. “Sports entertainment” is what WWE markets itself as, with it’s pre-written storylines and bending of the rules to make the sport more entertaining. Football could make itself “sports entertainment”, for instance, by awarding penalties at will if the ref is a bit bored.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Lewis conducting himself well so far despite what must be absolutely gutting considering he had that race in his pocket. Leaving it to Toto and the team to do what they need to. Would be massively surprised if anything comes of the protest that changes the result though.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The safety car pulled in a lap early. It is possible (though highly improbable) that they’ll alter the result to before this point.

I genuinely think that would be fair. If the safety car had kept to it’s normal protocol, Lewis would be champion. It should never have dived in a lap early. This rule is there to avoid the leading cars catching the slower lapped cars too early that have just unlapped themselves by passing the safety car.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
9ffc0f4d0ac8ad848b6daf87f41e85da.jpg

911e167b64cd1fa20e8c9edc21f16e65.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What the Mercedes appeal about the safety car “overtake” does do, of course, is give the FIA a get out option as it changes P1 and P2 but nobody else

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mercedes lodge two protests:

Seems Max overtook Lewis under the safety car (his car was ahead). A 5 second penalty would be sufficient to sort this mess out.

Watching it live, I thought Max was being a bit silly there as it would only take Lewis giving the brakes a quick dab for Max to be in front of him and falling foul of overtaking when behind the safety car.

Sky have just replayed it and it looks like Max did nudge ahead once or twice.

He'll only have himself to blame if he picks up a 5-second penalty and loses the title for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here