Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Explain Yourself

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
From when I first started posting on NSC and there was an Orient supporting poster, banned long ago, called WATFORD O who was a bit of a WUM. I set up the account WATFORD 0 and started posting and WATFORD O got very excited, insisting his account had been hacked and it wasn't him. After about a week of this I got bored and got a mod to change mine to WATFORD zero.

Luckily I also managed to get a picture of @dwayne, a ginger black poster from that time to use as my profile pic.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Irrespective of talent, every fan loves a player who will leave everything out on the pitch every game.

Gary Hart embodied this for me and I'm sure for many others. The ultimate utility man who would play anywhere the team needed.

I always imagined his post-match shirt to be dripping with sweat that he'd expended for our team. And so the name was born.

Hard-working, honest, authentic sweat. The unentitled sweat that's the result of a £1,000 transfer plus tracksuits from a non-league side.

Based solely on his original transfer fee, Hart's 373 games cost £2.68 each. We got the 45 goals for free. It was always over-delivering with him.

His early partnership with a young Zamora helped Bobby's career, put a smile on our faces and brought in silverware in the SKINT days.

So could he have played in the Premier League at his prime? On honest endeavour, energy and attitude alone, few would have bet against it.

But regardless, we'll always have the memories. And the history-making too.

Signed just a year after the Albion left the Goldstone, Hart represents Albion's recovery from grim Gillingham through wild Withdean to finally Falmer.

For those of us of a certain age, it's been running side by side with much of our lives. And dare I say it on here, the existence of NSC too.

So who scored the first goal at Falmer to complete the journey home? Of course it was. It had to be.

To finish, here's a few words from OGH himself after that game. https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/9144064.Hart_so_pleased_to_score_Amex_opener/

Gary Hart has admitted he was desperate to score the first goal at Albion's new stadium to complete an Amex/Withdean double.
The long-serving striker's fairytale 70th minute header helped the Seagulls to a 2-0 victory over Eastbourne Borough in the Sussex Senior Cup final at The Amex.
Hart, 34, said: "I wanted to score the first goal, I am not going to deny that."
"I was getting frustrated in the first half, because I didn't really have many chances but it came to me and it's good, a little bit of history for me again, because I scored the first goal at Withdean as well (against Nottingham Forest)."

Hart released by Albion at the end of last season, captained the team and lifted the Cup after he was substituted late on to a warm ovation from the crowd of 7,104.
"It's an amazing stadium to play in," he said. "I'm just glad I got the chance."

Gary, I'm just glad we got the chance to have you playing for us.

HS

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
It’s where Rohan Ince was born and I used to really like Rohan Ince.

I used to post as The Ringleader on here when I was 14/15/16 until I got banned for being a bellend. That was because I once got taken down to the running track at Withdean and told I was the ringleader of people standing in Block H. Which when you’re 14 makes you feel like you’re the leader of the ICF or something.

I used the same username on a forum for multiple teams which just resulted in homophobic “ring bleeder” jokes, which is how I’ve ended up using Bleeds as a username almost everywhere else.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Why the last? I can probably guess but thought I'd ask.
It'll be a couple of weeks before my 47th birthday. I think it will extremely hard work to attempt anything that slightly resembles dancing, and the following days will be agony, but hopefully it will be worth it seeing all the big name DJs from my misspent youth.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It'll be a couple of weeks before my 47th birthday. I think it will extremely hard work to attempt anything that slightly resembles dancing, and the following days will be agony, but hopefully it will be worth it seeing all the big name DJs from my misspent youth.
Ha ha. I know the feeling. Which rave is it? Who's playing?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Friend at what was then Seeboard electricity changed the 'Mr' on the dropdown box on their CRM to 'Commander' on my record.

Meaning every time they sent me a bill (or more accurately in those days a FINAL DEMAND) it was addressed to Commander xxxx xxxx.

It made me feel very special.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not hard to guess what my real name is...but when starting work in London, 1976 ish, Jimmy Young was a big Radio host with a slot of some recipe chipmunk voice.. . "What's the recipe today, Raymondo?".
Wasn’t it “what‘s The recipe today, Jim?” But Raymondo was definitely in there as well. Quite shocked to realise I am aware of what Jimmy Young was doing in the 1970s!
Asfor me, my name is not Archibald and I don’t live anywhere near Leeds. I’m not actually in Southampton, either, but fairly close…..

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Eeyore is an old nickname of mine, a play on my christian name. I am also a dour and benign slowly ageing donkey with a long face.

Last edited:

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Harry Wilson was an Albion player in the 70s. When I used to go to games with my dad, we stood on the East terrace. The old man picked on Wilson mercilessly. On the other hand I rather liked him, and I don't like bullying. I ended up watching games from the South stand and meeting up with the old man after the match. I could see him, up on the East terrace, in his red bobble hat, no doubt chuntering at HW.

So my user name is a nod to the great man, and his stoic indifference to the loan heckler.

Edit, oh and there is a nob gag in there as well. Never eschew a nob gag.
This always makes me chuckle:

1727773527514.png

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Was it Brian Powney who used to spend a lot of the match screaming "'Arry! 'Arry!"?

I was a big fan too. A real no-nonsense whole hearted defender. Happy days!

We nicknamed him 'Hacky Harry' - he was prone to the odd dirty tackle, I seem to recall..

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Back in the 1950s (the decade I was born) Brighton and Hove Albion didn't have a proper nickname. You can argue about the use of Shrimps or Seasiders but there was no fixed, definitive, universally-agreed name like 'Seagulls' now.

To try and rectify this the Supporters' Club had a competition to see what should be our official nickname. The winner was 'Brovion', which was a portmanteau word of Brighton and Hove Albion. Spoiler alert: it didn't catch on, otherwise we'd all be chanting 'Brovions! Brovions!'

Anyway, all that effort wasn't wasted as forty years later some saddo decided to use it as his NSC handle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here