Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Explain Yourself

Victor Chandler

Sep 2, 2014
Haywards Heath
Probably not very interesting but Victor Chandler because:

- In the 1970s I worked as a board man in his Seven Dials betting shop even though I was under age.
- In my younger years I spent a lot of time in his various betting shops as a punter.
- More recently he was the first bookmaker to close my account.
- I also used to place bets for his right hand man (Not Tony Bloom).

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Nice! I'm 42 and just getting back into raving after 10 years off bringing up kids.

Some learnings so far:
- Try to go only to events that finish before 11
- Don't go to more than 1 a month (and DEFINITELY NOT 2 in 3 days as happened to me at the weekend)
- Stick mainly to booze(!)
- Try new stuff, there's some amazing new producers out there recreating the 90s vibe

Ps hope you have fun and decide it's not your last!
It's not something I'd get back into on a regular basis, but I would love to do a proper big Dutch event, Dominator would be my rave of choice as it's the hardest. I also wouldn't say no to an oldschool Thunderdome or Masters of Hardcore.
My brother is coming to the one in November but no way I'd get him along to a Dutch event. He almost killed me when I took him in the Technodrome at the Sanctuary all those years ago.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Probably not very interesting but Victor Chandler because:

- In the 1970s I worked as a board man in his Seven Dials betting shop even though I was under age.
- In my younger years I spent a lot of time in his various betting shops as a punter.
Did you ever go into the Victor Chandler in Viaduct Rd? My dad worked there from the mid-60s till the mid-70s.

The tales he used to tell about blokes who'd blow their week's wages and burst into tears ensured that I never became a serious gambler.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
When I first started work, procedures and work instructions were all on paper and I was given a ink stamp to validate which operation / step I had performed. My stamp number was AIT76.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Similarly, Roadrunner was my pen name from the fanzine days. I would normally write the away-day match reports for Scars & Stripes.
Did you go to the S&S dinner when Attila read Goldstone Ghosts and we all cried? I was an occasional contributor to the esteemed organ.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mine was based upon the popular LoG character at the time. I've been toying with changing it, as 'black face' is not acceptable these days, even in comedy.
Of course you can join us!

YMWN.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Kosh was a really cool mysterious, quasi mystical character from the awesome (LOTR in space) Babylon 5... He was a Vorlon and they wore an encounter suit (disguising their true form) which I thought was a splendid example of the allegory of nearly every NSC 'character' who visited the forum... I was about 14 when I first joined circa 96, so you can imagine I thought the whole projecting an image thing was multi layered in its complexity and (oh so) clever, akin to Mr Clever (he of the Mr Men) kind of a way... Not seeing the irony in that one little bit.

My original plan had been to say very little, but when I did say it, it would alter perception as people knew it... alas, Dave the Eagle wasn't really operating on that level... and being succinct isn't my forte... Thus Kosh remained and became more and more verbose with each overwrought missive.

Dare I say it ? as I've mellowed I've taken the opportunity to 're-connect' with my fellow NSC family, take stock - what started out as a fourth division TV character parody, ended with a near last 8 NSC legends 'type off' --- alas, I was never really cut out to be a winner, but by God you should see how white me teeth are... although I rather think my roll neck is cutting off the blood supply to my brain...

Kosh
I dated the telepath from Babylon 5.
This is only ever impressive to Babylon 5 nerds so I mention it now.

Victor Chandler

Sep 2, 2014
Haywards Heath
Did you ever go into the Victor Chandler in Viaduct Rd? My dad worked there from the mid-60s till the mid-70s.

The tales he used to tell about blokes who'd blow their week's wages and burst into tears ensured that I never became a serious gambler.
I do remember he had a shop in Viaduct Road which I used to go into on the way home from school in about 1975/1976!
You did well never to get seriously involved. I knew punters that would blow a week’s wages in the Seven Dials shop and then ask for credit in the fruit and veg shop opposite the bookmakers which my Dad used to run.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My mate and I try to resurrect that chant every time someone walks round the perimeter carrying something. We thought no-one else remembered him!
I remember that from the Goldstone on the East terrace in the 70s. Some of us did it in E block at Withdean even though we could all easily see over the blokes board. I think it's called irony.

Now, what was it we used to sing at the bloke with the board at Withdean who bafflingly died the hair at the top of his head yellow?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
My ex had a younger lad working for her and he used to call me Pa.
When I got the snip, I became a Jaffa.
So he called me Papajaff.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you know your early Rock and Roll(*) history, you'll be able to work out my real name.

(* Although I'm more into Soul, Disco, Jazz Funk, Northern, etc, etc.)
I know your real name as we have met several times via the Mailing List, and once had a beer together in Birkenhead before a Tranmere v BHA game, but for a moment there I was minded of my Romanian mate, Peter Spelloniou

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Commemorating Malcolm Poskett’s hat trick at the Valley just before Christmas 1978. Free ticket and train travel for those who were on the ill fated charter train that got stuck at Corby on the night of the Forest league cup tie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here