Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Explain Yourself

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
There used to be a fantastic second had record shop near The Dome called The Cottage. Till one of the owners was murdered by a piece of filth.

Was on our 2nd hand record shop 'circuit' that we used to do in Brighton on Saturday mornings before home games in the mid-late 70's. Happy memories. Had no idea about the owner's demise 😮

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I thought Mullered came from the German forward who mullered us? Gerd??
Apparently a 'muller' was a type of pestle for grinding stuff up, so I guess that 'mullering' became slang for grinding up and 'mullered' became an adjective meaning pounded or ground up and evolved to mean destroyed. It was then adapted in the 90s to mean drunk, or destroyed by booze. The German surname Muller is the English equivalent of Miller, so the surnames probably have deriviations that are connected to the term. Gerd Muller scored the extra time goal that knocked England out of the 1970 World Cup, but his apogee was the 1974 World Cup that we didn't qualify for. Andreas Möller (also meaning Miller) scored the winning penalty in the Euro 96 semi final, so we've been mullered, by a couple of German Millers.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It incorporates my surname, is a brilliant instrument used famously by The Beatles (and many others) - think the flute sounds on Strawberry Fields Forever, or the distorted choir sounds towards the end of Paranoid Android.

1727859668741.png

I'm a musician who has worked with synths and would love to own one one day (but they are about £2-3,000 for the models I'd be interested in, so I think it's unlikely sadly).

It also sounds a bit like the name of a Transformer which I probably thought was cool many years ago.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was in the 6th form with @South Stand Bonfire, and he may not remember this now, but with another lad (Manu) we made up quotes and attributed them to a fictitious Edwin Columbus Bodian and I liberally sprinkled them into Geography and Economics essays on the basis that if you use enough quotes it looks as though you know what you're talking about. Used the name ever since for things here and there. Including further non-existent quotes at University until one of the lecturers kept hassling me for a copy of Bodian's book....
Ha, one of my housemates at uni did this. He invented a philosopher called JT Fantom and quoted him in an essay. Sadly for him, our lecturer wasn't to be fooled.

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
Irrespective of talent, every fan loves a player who will leave everything out on the pitch every game.

Gary Hart embodied this for me and I'm sure for many others. The ultimate utility man who would play anywhere the team needed.

I always imagined his post-match shirt to be dripping with sweat that he'd expended for our team. And so the name was born.

Hard-working, honest, authentic sweat. The unentitled sweat that's the result of a £1,000 transfer plus tracksuits from a non-league side.

Based solely on his original transfer fee, Hart's 373 games cost £2.68 each. We got the 45 goals for free. It was always over-delivering with him.

His early partnership with a young Zamora helped Bobby's career, put a smile on our faces and brought in silverware in the SKINT days.

So could he have played in the Premier League at his prime? On honest endeavour, energy and attitude alone, few would have bet against it.

But regardless, we'll always have the memories. And the history-making too.

Signed just a year after the Albion left the Goldstone, Hart represents Albion's recovery from grim Gillingham through wild Withdean to finally Falmer.

For those of us of a certain age, it's been running side by side with much of our lives. And dare I say it on here, the existence of NSC too.

So who scored the first goal at Falmer to complete the journey home? Of course it was. It had to be.

To finish, here's a few words from OGH himself after that game. https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/9144064.Hart_so_pleased_to_score_Amex_opener/

Gary Hart has admitted he was desperate to score the first goal at Albion's new stadium to complete an Amex/Withdean double.
The long-serving striker's fairytale 70th minute header helped the Seagulls to a 2-0 victory over Eastbourne Borough in the Sussex Senior Cup final at The Amex.
Hart, 34, said: "I wanted to score the first goal, I am not going to deny that."
"I was getting frustrated in the first half, because I didn't really have many chances but it came to me and it's good, a little bit of history for me again, because I scored the first goal at Withdean as well (against Nottingham Forest)."

Hart released by Albion at the end of last season, captained the team and lifted the Cup after he was substituted late on to a warm ovation from the crowd of 7,104.
"It's an amazing stadium to play in," he said. "I'm just glad I got the chance."

Gary, I'm just glad we got the chance to have you playing for us.

HS
This.

Fantastic write up there HS.

When he was on the pitch, I could rarely take my eyes off him, hence the 'Stalker' bit to my name.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This.

Fantastic write up there HS.

When he was on the pitch, I could rarely take my eyes off him, hence the 'Stalker' bit to my name.
Was lucky enough to have tickets in the away end for the first Amex game against Eastbourne Borough. It was all a bit overwhelming anyway, but came close to blubbing when Harty scored the first goal. Nobody better.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
NIckname. Since mid teens.
It incorporates my surname, is a brilliant instrument used famously by The Beatles (and many others) - think the flute sounds on Strawberry Fields Forever, or the distorted choir sounds towards the end of Paranoid Android.

View attachment 189677

I'm a musician who has worked with synths and would love to own one one day (but they are about £2-3,000 for the models I'd be interested in, so I think it's unlikely sadly).

It also sounds a bit like the name of a Transformer which I probably thought was cool many years ago.
GET ONE !
GET ONE !
GET ONE !

Think of it as an investment, in joy . . . And if you get bored of it after a year or two, you'll get your money back when you sell it.

I've done this more than a few times with bass guitars

my username is just a nickname from school. I never gave it ay thought at the time, ad that time was so long ago I can't remember exactly . . .I still use it as a username and still have it as my email address.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Apparently a 'muller' was a type of pestle for grinding stuff up, so I guess that 'mullering' became slang for grinding up and 'mullered' became an adjective meaning pounded or ground up and evolved to mean destroyed. It was then adapted in the 90s to mean drunk, or destroyed by booze. The German surname Muller is the English equivalent of Miller, so the surnames probably have deriviations that are connected to the term. Gerd Muller scored the extra time goal that knocked England out of the 1970 World Cup, but his apogee was the 1974 World Cup that we didn't qualify for. Andreas Möller (also meaning Miller) scored the winning penalty in the Euro 96 semi final, so we've been mullered, by a couple of German Millers.
Fairly sure, not certain, that it came from Gerd Muller not a pestle & mortar. That late strike left us mullered as far as I'm aware, and Mullered as in wankered came later

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here