Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Explain Yourself

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
I wanted to use Sam’s Dad when I joined but it was already taken.

I played as a goalkeeper on Saturday football and out on the pitch in the Sunday leagues. One of my teammates regularly called me a Donkey, maybe before it was better known as a Tony Adams insult. Eventually I settled as a centre back for Sunday football so used that as my NSC name. You couldn’t have spaces originally on NSC and I never got around to adding them once you could.
I was originally Sam's Dad, but when I moved house a few years ago I had to change internet provider and got a new email address. When I tried to log on to NSC it didn't recognise me and I had forgotten my login details.
The simplest thing to do was to register a new account, and as part of my address is Hill, I became Seagull on the Hill.

There are quite a few unusual usernames on NSC, so I thought I would start a thread for people to explain why they have chosen their username (if they are happy to obviously).

The one that kicked this off for me was seeing Wellquickwoody all over the board - I'm guessing his surname might be Wood and he is (or was) rapid at running but am probably wrong

Obviously some are easily solvable so no need to provide guidance (like mine :))
A nickname given to me by the first team of people I ever managed. They even did me a mug. Affectionate nickname I hope, god knows what they called me behind my back

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
I once had dinner with Mr G, his wife and two kids. My brother-in-law's brother in law (not me, but the guy married to his sister) was about the only person in B&H that spoke the same lingo as Sergei, so my sis got me round there one evening in the spring of 1990. A really lovely family, played football with his kids and kept fouling them saying 'this is how we play in England'. They seemed to enjoy it though

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I was originally Sam's Dad, but when I moved house a few years ago I had to change internet provider and got a new email address. When I tried to log on to NSC it didn't recognise me and I had forgotten my login details.
The simplest thing to do was to register a new account, and as part of my address is Hill, I became Seagull on the Hill.
Does that make me Sam's Step Dad then? Must have words with Mrs DCH!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
If you were in the North Stand in the mid 1970s you’d remember it being sung - when we got one - I can’t actually recall if we scored more goals from them in that period than we do today but we must have, Shirley - Tony Towner and Sully might have been on corner duty

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I *checks pants* yes I am a man and on occasion will partake of the always delicious miracle elixir of the Ouse. Even if these days even a modest intake will tend to lead to 4/5 piss trips during the night.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Fairly sure, not certain, that it came from Gerd Muller not a pestle & mortar. That late strike left us mullered as far as I'm aware, and Mullered as in wankered came later
No, the Gerd Muller link definitely looks like a false etymology. The only place I could find it cited was by some bloke giving his opinion on Urban Dictionary. The etymology sites that actually do research report the term to grind or destroy as going back centuries and the use to mean drunk or heavily defeated from the 1990s. Neither would be concurrent with Gerd's peak. The talk after the 1970 game was not really of Muller anyway. It was all about the substitution of Charlton that allowed Beckenbauer to run the game and the blaming of poor old Peter Bonetti.

All the lyrics sites quote the P&tTTBs lyric as Mullard, not Mulllered, but Peter definitely sings 'erred', not 'ard' and I've never heard Arthur Mullard be called Arthur Mullered by anyone. The lyrics sites all take from each other, so if it was written wrong once, it will be replicated. Unfortunately, the song's not on 'Pissed and Proud' as I'm pretty sure my copy's got the song lyrics on the inner sleeve. Unless anyone can ask Del or Peter we'll never know which is right.

Last edited:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
No, the Gerd Muller link definitely looks like a false etymology. The only place I could find it cited was by some bloke giving his opinion on Urban Dictionary. The etymology sites that actually do research report the term to grind or destroy as going back centuries and the use to mean drunk or heavily defeated from the 1990s. Neither would be concurrent with Gerd's peak.

All the lyrics sites quote the P&tTTBs lyric as Mullard, not Mulllered, but Peter definitely sings 'erred', not 'ard' and I've never heard Arthur Mullard be called Arthur Mullered by anyone. The lyrics sites all take from each other, so if it was written wrong once, it will be replicated. Unfortunately, the song's not on 'Pissed and Proud' as I'm pretty sure my copy's got the song lyrics on the inner sleeve. Unless anyone can ask Del or Peter we'll never know which is right.
Well that is interesting. I was a young-un watching that match and I'd never heard it before (I was in the East End at the time). It was parlance shortly after, for sure. As an aside my dear old nan cheered loudly on her own when he scored, to the dismay of others, she'd watched the whole match thinking that we were germany, bless her

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Well that is interesting. I was a young-un watching that match and I'd never heard it before (I was in the East End at the time). It was parlance shortly after, for sure. As an aside my dear old nan cheered loudly on her own when he scored, to the dismay of others, she'd watched the whole match thinking that we were germany, bless her
According to this it was common prison slang in the 1950s: https://www.worldwidewords.org/qa-mul1.html. My guess would be that some old lags made the connection and joked that Muller had mullered England after the game and that the usage spread beyond where it had previously been common.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
According to this it was common prison slang in the 1950s: https://www.worldwidewords.org/qa-mul1.html. My guess would be that some old lags made the connection and joked that Muller had mullered England after the game and that the usage spread beyond where it had previously been common.
Cheers. I have asked on an East End FB site to explore this, I'll let you know what they say, cheers again
According to this it was common prison slang in the 1950s: https://www.worldwidewords.org/qa-mul1.html. My guess would be that some old lags made the connection and joked that Muller had mullered England after the game and that the usage spread beyond where it had previously been common

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
"Here's a different question! I watched the 1970 world cup match with my mum, dad and granny Rose and Grandad Jim. Now, let's forget that my nan rose to cheer Gerd Muller's late goal (she thought we were playing in white for the whole game bless her.) But here's the question: to get mullered comes from that day? surely? or I am mistaken?"

Interested indeed, I'lll keep you posted

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Around 40 years ago (blimey, time flies!), a small group of us were sitting around smoking numerous exotic cigarettes, when a friend of mine curled his hand into a fist, flung his hand open and shrieked "Birth of an orange!".
This was followed by a brief stunned silence, before the inevitable eye-watering, stoned hysterical laughter.
I never forgot it...as is evident.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
If you were in the North Stand in the mid 1970s you’d remember it being sung - when we got one - I can’t actually recall if we scored more goals from them in that period than we do today but we must have, Shirley - Tony Towner and Sully might have been on corner duty
Kit Napier is the only player I can remember scoring directly from a corner.
Can't remember who it was against but it would have been late 60's/ early 70's.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My favourite player as a kid in my first few seasons watching the Albion.
I hate to disappoint you but I think his name is Roderick rather than Rodney.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It incorporates my surname, is a brilliant instrument used famously by The Beatles (and many others) - think the flute sounds on Strawberry Fields Forever, or the distorted choir sounds towards the end of Paranoid Android.

View attachment 189677

I'm a musician who has worked with synths and would love to own one one day (but they are about £2-3,000 for the models I'd be interested in, so I think it's unlikely sadly).

It also sounds a bit like the name of a Transformer which I probably thought was cool many years ago.
I seem to recall hearing that the only musician of note to own a mellotron 'back in the day' was Rick Wakeman. His credits include Space Oddity (Bowie). But a quick bit of research show Mike Pinder played one in the 60s for the Moody Blues. And by 71 Genesis and others had one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here