Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Explain Yourself

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I wanted to use Sam’s Dad when I joined but it was already taken.

I played as a goalkeeper on Saturday football and out on the pitch in the Sunday leagues. One of my teammates regularly called me a Donkey, maybe before it was better known as a Tony Adams insult. Eventually I settled as a centre back for Sunday football so used that as my NSC name. You couldn’t have spaces originally on NSC and I never got around to adding them once you could.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Wait... Hang on... Born in 92?

You must be the youngest poster in here. Our art least bring the average down a lot. 😂
Yep, too young to remember the goldstone, however I'm told I did go. My earliest memories are travelling to Gillingham, then all the Withdean years in the soggy South stand

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
At the time there were a lot of people with “Over” something, Seagulls Over London etc, so picked “Tim Over Whelmed” which I am more now than I was then with our great team
I live in London. That's about it.
I sort of regret it as I hadn't realised when I chose it there is a group called Seagulls Over London who seem to have a active social presence. I haven't had chance to go to one of their meetings, but might do one day.
I wish I had called myself 'And Smith Did Score' instead.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Those of a certain age will remember Norman Gall, a great centre half who made over 400 appearances for us in the 60s / 70s and is still around, age 82. He was my boyhood hero and I was delighted at the Northstand chant of “Sir” Norman Gall.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Harry Wilson was an Albion player in the 70s. When I used to go to games with my dad, we stood on the East terrace. The old man picked on Wilson mercilessly. On the other hand I rather liked him, and I don't like bullying. I ended up watching games from the South stand and meeting up with the old man after the match. I could see him, up on the East terrace, in his red bobble hat, no doubt chuntering at HW.

So my user name is a nod to the great man, and his stoic indifference to the loan heckler.

Edit, oh and there is a nob gag in there as well. Never eschew a nob gag.
So your Dad was the first person on your Ignore list?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
One of my favourite films is The Italian Job, so was a choice between Professor Simon Peach or Mr Bridger.
IMG_4533.jpeg
IMG_4534.jpeg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Vintage Albion fans will fondly remember that Fred Binney wasn’t exactly the Lionel Messi of his day.

He was a striker with the turning circle of an oil tanker, A man that would struggle to bring the ball under control in less than 90 minutes, and who appeared to be incapable of getting his considerable girth to rise above the ground.

He was completely and utterly lethal from 18 inches, brave, sturdy as a bull, and struck me as being almost as intelligent.

My user name is a small tribute to an Albion legend.
Fred was the first Albion player I can remember watching when I was a kid.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Set up my account back in the day when NSC was the best place to get hold of tickets as a non-STH. The name was best to give clues about how many and what type of tickets we needed.

_and_son doesn't know my user name and isn't connected to the account in any way and has his own account her but never uses it because its just "full of old me

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I’d like to be really cool and say my username is stolen from a Russian Avant Guard band who play scintillating and ground-breaking cacophonies in a melting pot wall of sound that pairs perfectly with a cold glass of Chablis on a Friday night …

But I can’t. ‘Zeberdi’ is part anagram of my real name and more obviously an anagram of De Zerbi.

And the Russian Avant Guard band called ‘Zeberdi’ is really shlte and not Avant Guard at all but sounds like Chinese torture to my ears.

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Jam The Man

Jam: The first three letters of my email address that I’ve had since 1997 - the reasons for that will take too long to explain.

And the rest came when I went on holiday to Crete and the hotel host was a chap called Van The Man.
He sang an altered version of ‘Wham! Rap’ to fit his name and I think it was my partner at the time who changed it again to:
“Wham! Bam! You’re Jam, The Man”

And so it became my NSC handle.

I can’t recall my handle before then and in the late 90s on the Seagull Server, but I think it might have been ‘Abbey Road’

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When we first came back to Brighton and Withdean a group of us including @Carrot Cruncher and @Uncle Buck would meet for pre match beers in the Duke of Wellington in Brighton, aka The Welly. When I say pre match beers I mean we got there at 11 for opening time and got cabs to the ground at 2.30.

The first time I went in there I thought their lager selection was crap and they had no real ales to speak of so I ordered a Guinness Extra Cold. And then another. And another. The next week they started pouring it for me as I walked in so I was stuck with it.

I do very much like it and drink it on my regular work trips to Dublin and if I find myself in an airport spoons, but I’ve subsequently become enamoured of poncey craft beers and spirit / mixer combos, because I can’t eat or drink anything else after three Guinnesses these days. Saturday’s trip to Chelsea also saw festivities begin around 11 but I was on Helles / rum and coke.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here