Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Explain your avatar

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its an orangutan, from the Indonesian province of Central Kalimantan on Borneo island. Which is where I live and work. In fact, here's a photo of me with an orangutan, and if you look closely, a Skint-era Albion hat :thumbsup:
How did you get into that line of work?

That is probably the coolest photo on the thread. :bowdown:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
How did you get into that line of work?

That is probably the coolest photo on the thread. :bowdown:

Very kind, and thanks for asking :blush:

Always fascinated by wildlife and travelling as a kid, studied Zoology at Nottingham, where one of my lecturers had a summer project in Borneo, mainly botanical work. I had always wanted to go to Borneo, so joined up in '95, and whilst there got bored by trees and decided to survey orangutans with my (now) wife. When we analysed the survey results it turned out that we had discovered the largest population of orangutans in the world :p. As a result several organisations gave us money to go back and do more research, leading to us setting up our own project (the Orangutan Tropical Peatland Project) in 1999, taking over the camp and staff of the Nottingham Uni project.

After several years of small expeditions, grant-begging and temp jobs in the UK, we advertised for volunteers in 2001, which gave us the capital needed to expand, went full-time in 2003, got the forest protected as a National Park in late-2004, and we're still there now.

In 2008 I began working as scientific advisor to the Nyaru Menteng Orangutan Reintroduction Centre, the place featured on the BBC's Orangutan Diaries. I now spend about 80% of my time on that project, working to reintroduce the orphaned orangutans back into the wild. The photo is from the first release I coordinated, in August last year.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Its an orangutan, from the Indonesian province of Central Kalimantan on Borneo island. Which is where I live and work. In fact, here's a photo of me with an orangutan, and if you look closely, a Skint-era Albion hat :thumbsup:

Wow. You sir have the best job in the world.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Oh I don't know. I barely get to see the Albion play. And you're welcome to the mosquitoes.

But...but...but MONKEYS! You work with monkeys!

I've seen Orangatain Island and it just looks brill. There are orangatains with nappys on! Nappys!

Seriously though, you must have a very satifiying job and on a separate note have proberly saved countless orangatains from the brink?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Always fascinated by wildlife and travelling as a kid, studied Zoology at Nottingham, where one of my lecturers had a summer project in Borneo, mainly botanical work. I had always wanted to go to Borneo, so joined up in '95, and whilst there got bored by trees and decided to survey orangutans with my (now) wife. When we analysed the survey results it turned out that we had discovered the largest population of orangutans in the world :p. As a result several organisations gave us money to go back and do more research, leading to us setting up our own project (the Orangutan Tropical Peatland Project) in 1999, taking over the camp and staff of the Nottingham Uni project.

After several years of small expeditions, grant-begging and temp jobs in the UK, we advertised for volunteers in 2001, which gave us the capital needed to expand, went full-time in 2003, got the forest protected as a National Park in late-2004, and we're still there now.

In 2008 I began working as scientific advisor to the Nyaru Menteng Orangutan Reintroduction Centre, the place featured on the BBC's Orangutan Diaries. I now spend about 80% of my time on that project, working to reintroduce the orphaned orangutans back into the wild. The photo is from the first release I coordinated, in August last year.

:hero: :love:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

That is a great story, I admire you sir for making something truly interesting and useful of your life. And despite previous form I really am not taking the piss.

Digweed's Testicle

Build A Bonfire
Jan 11, 2004
Hartlepool
User name and avatar in homage to Perry Digweed 'giving his all' in goal in front of the Goldstone North Stand.
My avatar shows a South Park episode where the men grew extra large testicles so they could get stoned on prescribed weed for treatment. The pic shows them using their balls as space hoppers :lolol:

Check this South Park clip out to see what I mean

South Park - Testicle Cancer on Vimeo

Name Steve DX ansd a picture of Jeremy Clarkson with a mark on his face.
Clear as mud :???:
Thats self explanatory :shrug:

The thread is explain your avatar, which is the picture under your username, its not asking you to explain your username.

My picture is Jeremy Clarkson with a Dick drawn on his face, so to me that is pretty self explanatory, Jeremy Clarkson is a Dick!!!

but are you happy?:( makes my saving of the crane fly last night look a bit small fry:p without looking spooky may i inhabit your life??? In total awe sir:bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here