Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 3

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My gosh, give it a rest you anti-Southgate brigade. If we'd beaten them 4-0 you'd have all said "they'll get found out by a good team". It's tedious. Can we have another thread for you lot who don't even like England anyway?

Italy beat Albania by a goal. The Dutch beat Poland by a goal. Serbia are strong, physical and have excellent players like Vlahovic and Tadic. Kane would have made it 2 if not for a world-class save. Serbia had one good chance out of nothing, dealt by Pickford well.

We did a good job. 3 points. Job done.
😂

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
If you tuned in expecting an entertaining and high scoring game, well, that was never going to happen.

However, we've all seen much worse England performances. Job done, 3 pts, move on.

Ps a gullible Referee, I thought. Gave some very cheap free kicks.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is he?

I thought that till the last year, as you mentioned he's made foden look like Harry Winks, fallen out with Ben white and I don't see too many busting a gut for him.
Ben White is weird. I'm not reading anything into that. Foden was ok at the beginning but looked ragged after half time.

Not sure that's fair about them not busting a gut as they all look happy, and we were finalists last time and have consistently performed better than usual. You think of Capello in 2010 or the Iceland debacle under Hodgson, or SGE's constant failure to get us beyond the quarters despite being paid silly money. Southgate's record sort of stands up. It's just that his in-game management is league one standard.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The verdict from me, Bob and Dave was.... 3 points. Next!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you tuned in expecting an entertaining and high scoring game, well, that was never going to happen.

However, we've all seen much worse England performances. Job done, 3 pts, move on.

Ps a gullible Referee, I thought. Gave some very cheap free kicks.
and could’ve nipped the relentless first half hacking down of Bellingham early on with a couple of yellows.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
My gosh, give it a rest you anti-Southgate brigade. If we'd beaten them 4-0 you'd have all said "they'll get found out by a good team". It's tedious. Can we have another thread for you lot who don't even like England anyway?

Italy beat Albania by a goal. The Dutch beat Poland by a goal. Serbia are strong, physical and have excellent players like Vlahovic and Tadic. Kane would have made it 2 if not for a world-class save. Serbia had one good chance out of nothing, dealt by Pickford well.

The teams you mentioned looked much more convincing than we did (first 30 mins aside and once Serbia switched tactics). Nothing to do with being anti-England whatsoever. We were shyte

Still, first game, move on

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I’m a big England fan and normally happy with Southgate. He’s often hard done by here.

That was dogshit. Tactically inept. Boring. Obvious.

I’ll take the three points and I’d be fuming more if we’d played brilliantly and lost. But that was like watching a newly qualified chef buy the best wagyu beef, cook it for 25 minutes and serve it in a lemon meringue.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
And, since we're being objective, not winning the tournament.

It's a no from me.
I'd struggle to view winning the tournament as the only way to define success.

If we were that good, we wouldn't need to qualify every description of the side with "our attacking players are great" or however you want to phrase it.

We have flaws. At some point a team will have the good fortune to highlight them.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
We'll win all 3 group games and reckon we'll thrash Slovenia
IMG_4056.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: A1X

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just makes you appreciate how brilliant Albion are at keeping the ball. So much brainless passing in the second half and far too passive against a bang average team. Still, a win’s a win - but big improvements required beyond the group stage.
Yep, bang average is right. Brainless is right. Passive is right. Nailed it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just makes you appreciate how brilliant Albion are at keeping the ball. So much brainless passing in the second half and far too passive against a bang average team. Still, a win’s a win - but big improvements required beyond the group stage.
This.

But Dunk (the maestro) can't play measured in a side with Rice hogging everything from box to half way line like he's f***ing Pirlo.

So it will have to be what it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here