Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 3

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Anybody on the ground able to report how the Fanzone thing by St Peters Church is going?
Full of utter bellends.

I was in the VIP area and fans in the area behind starting chucking pints, wine bottles, trays, cans and anything they could get their hands on at everyone in the VIP area at the front. Saw a child of about 8 take a full can of Asahi to the head.

This was just as the second half started, so not even an ‘exciting’ moment in the game. Avoid this place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This game was what I expected from Southgate's England. it will boil down to whether Bellingham's individual brilliance can overcome Southgate's timidity and negativity.

Jude and the defence were excellent but my worry is Foden doesn't appear to have a clue what his role is in this England team, Kane barely touched the ball in the first half while Saka faded.
The defense caused themselves issues throughout the game. They were not excellent.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This game was what I expected from Southgate's England. it will boil down to whether Bellingham's individual brilliance can overcome Southgate's timidity and negativity.

Jude and the defence were excellent but my worry is Foden doesn't appear to have a clue what his role is in this England team, Kane barely touched the ball in the first half while Saka faded.
And all of those things were self evident, and can happen to anyone in any game..... the question is what to do about it and he genuinely doesn't have a clue what to do.

Serbia manager makes tactical changes, pushes wing backs higher, its working, we have 2 players, great at their clubs but not in game at all and he watches passively.

We're getting over line just because of quality of players inspite of Southgate not knowing what to do..... in no way because of him.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
With the players that we have, not winning a single tournament is failure. The only success for a team as good as this, is winning.

Because Stones and Walker are shit? No, they're good too. Obviously we don't have the best 11 players to ever play, but no team ever has their best in one tournament. But we have more top players than most of us have ever seen.
We don't have a good team . . . . . We have good players and a few world class players . . .

Teams win. . .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We don't have a good team . . . . . We have good players and a few world class players . . .

Teams win. . .

The players we have would be the best team if they had a good enough manager. When Darren Bent was asked how our England team would do in the PL, with Southgate as manager, he said sixth. With Pep as manager he said we'd they'd win it. I think that's how a lot of us see it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That was the dictionary definition of get the game won, however you need to.

I think this defence will be most tested by a physical side and Serbia definitely had that. I think we’ll be better matched against Denmark and see a better game.

Serbia made that really quite boring with 4,381 fouls.

We do need to be better at keeping the ball though.

Reactions: SAC

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
All those who focus on the negatives, play the first 25-30 minutes again. They couldn't get the ball. We bossed them. And we delivered the end product when it mattered.

The rest of the game was different, but we still defended effectively.

This is not all bad.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Which do you think is the most talented England XI?

Whilst that's true, the favourites often do win.
I'd struggle to put the best xi from this squad above the best xi you could pick from the mid/early 2000s squads.

Equally, the most memorable team isn't necessarily the team that wins.

Fuckit, it's not like I'm Southgate's biggest defender anyway. I just don't see any point in getting wound up over our first game of a tournament where we went up early and went on to win.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think we made the right subs. Gallagher to work hard and win the ball back, Bowen to give some actual proper width - that was pretty much the only time we looked dangerous second half.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
With the players that we have, not winning a single tournament is failure. The only success for a team as good as this, is winning.

Because Stones and Walker are shit? No, they're good too. Obviously we don't have the best 11 players to ever play, but no team ever has their best in one tournament. But we have more top players than most of us have ever seen.
There are certainly players who regularly perform worse at international level compared to club level (Foden, Saka, etc). I’m not sure if that is mainly down to Southgate, as manager, or they do not have that “arrogance” about them at England like Jude Bellingham, for example.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All those who focus on the negatives, play the first 25-30 minutes again. They couldn't get the ball. We bossed them. And we delivered the end product when it mattered.

The rest of the game was different, but we still defended effectively.

This is not all bad.
People are always bizarrely entitled when it comes to England. If that was Italy we’d all be saying professional job, did what they had to do.

It was FINE. Wasn’t great, wasn’t awful. Got the job done.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’ll take the three points and I’d be fuming more if we’d played brilliantly and lost. But that was like watching a newly qualified chef buy the best wagyu beef, cook it for 25 minutes and serve it in a lemon meringue.

I think you may have been done. I'd like to suggest that your 'chef' hasn't actually qualified.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The players we have would be the best team if they had a good enough manager. When Darren Bent was asked how our England team would do in the PL, with Southgate as manager, he said sixth. With Pep as manager he said we'd they'd win it. I think that's how a lot of us see it.
Yeah, but Pep would ship half the team out and replace them with better players. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here